Nokia Lumia 930

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Nokia Lumia 930

Hello rgl168

I was talking about band 17 aka 700Mhz. Read the post Please. Thanks.
I Plan to Stick Around

Meowmix:  I have read your post and the entire thread many times.  The issue is with your statement:  "Rogers uses LTE 2100 (band 1)" as per #28.   This statement is flatout wrong.  Rogers does not use Band 1 - period. 

The "sincerely apologizes" (#26) (which BTW, came *before* your "band 1" statement) is regarding which band Rogers' 700 service came under, not about clarifying that Rogers ***does not*** use Band 1.   

I Plan to Stick Around

Meowmix,

I think you are getting things confused. Perhaps I'm wrong but...

Lumia Icon is Verizon exclusive. Since this is similar to, but NOT exactly the Lumia 930, that is why Nokia will not be releasing it IN THE UNITED STATES *emphasis intended*. Nokia was clear on this and stressed the United States, it did NOT say "All of North America" as you are suggesting.

Since Verizon is an AMERICAN carrier, and not Canadian, the exclusivity on the Lumia Icon DOES NOT APPLY in Canada, thus the Lumia 930 COULD be released in CANADA (just not the USA). Unless you are suggesting that Verizon is a "North American carrier" which it is not. Exclusivity contracts are not made on the scale of Continents, only countries. If you insist this is not the case, can you please explain why what a carrier in the United States can affect what we can get in Canada?

To recap:

Lumia Icon will only ever be on Verizon, it is country, and carrier specific

Lumia 930 will not be sold in the UNITED STATES, because of the Icon exclusivity IN THAT COUNTRY

Lumia 930 COULD be sold in Canada, hence why the announcements were vauge.

My assumption is Rogers is clearing out whatever Lumia 1020s they have right now and don't want to canabalize sales if people know something else is on the way. Unless of course, Rogers is dropping support for Windows Phone altogether.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Jack_Sparrow74

Nokia them selfs said it won't come to NORTH AMERICA. Watch the event on YouTube to see it. Never once did Canada come up and people on the Nokia Facebook and forums are asking and reps are saying that it won't come for North America i am not mistaken at all
I Plan to Stick Around

Meowmix, thank you for your prompt reply, and your continued service to this forum, it is very much appreciated. Not trying to be a jerk, but I am going to be firm on this.

From my research, there is ZERO certainty anywhere on whether the 930 is coming to Canada. Zero. Trust me, I'm looking at the same sources you are (I think?), and I'm not getting the same answer. Please help me out here, and please give me some links, and proof as I will do for you. I will list concrete examples, and even give links which indicate my position, so that you know I'm not making things up. I would appreciate if you could do the same. The one thing you said that I agree with is Canada hasn't come up in Nokia's discussions. That does NOT mean it is NOT coming. That means "we have nothing to report at this time". What they HAVE said is "it is not coming to the US" (although you and I both know that after the exclusivity of the ICON is over, there might be a 930 variant like the 935).

I did watch the Lumia 930 announcement (actually i watched the whole Build 2014 keynote), and I watched it again and I noticed in the video below that starting at 9:15, Stephen Elop starts announcing availability for the Lumia 930. He says "here in the *US*, we will continue with the Lumia Icon" (at 9:22). Again US is not the same thing as North America. This statement does not prove your point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVgsmGihGdM 

Furthermore, on the Nokia Canada Facebook page, the official answer given on 11 April at 20:19 is the following "Hi Rad - Lumia 930 availability and pricing has yet to be announced in Canada" (there is a link there, hopefully it comes up for you, if not, the time will guide you on the facebook page.) I continue reading and there is no absolute commitments one way or the other. So no, no Nokia rep I can find is saying "North America is not getting the Lumia 930", please provide a link to your references.  Are you saying that "yet to be announced" is the same as "not coming to Canada"? Why would they not just say that outright? Comments like these are used by corporation to deflect from the fact they "can't say anything yet" for whatever reason (ie Rogers et al are not prepared to roll it out yet, waiting to see how it sells elsewhere, doing focus groups, etc)

Nokia Canada's Twitter page, also, not a single mention of "the 930 is NOT coming to Canada"... in fact, they pretend as if it doesn't exist. So again, I'm not sure where else I should be looking for this information. Not to mention the corporate twitter, and Facebook pages say nothing. Forums on windows phone fan sites are inconclusive, no one knows there for sure, and

My point is, the official line, unless you can prove otherwise with links and concrete words from Nokia corporate, is "Nothing to report yet", not, as you are suggesting, "it is not coming", and so my frustration is that you're giving me an absolute "no" when the official word is nothing of the sort.

I Plan to Stick Around

Just got home from the DVLUP Day Toronto (Nokia Developer workshop)
Someone asked the Microsoft & Rogers rep about the 930 coming to Canada.
The Answer was a BIG NO!!!
Some other 8.1 phone is in the works for Canada coming in the fall.
That's all they would say.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello The55

Yeah its been a known that it won't come to Canada. Most developers from Canada asked about it and got told both from Nokia and Rogers it wont come. Other device like and others said are planned to come tho
I Plan to Stick Around

I carry a Nokia 1520 device and had to purchase outside of Canada,,Straight up if i did not own a Ford product i would stop supporting Nokia and Windows phone all together,,I just don't want to give up my voice texting in my auto,, Ford Sync and Microsoft work well together and no other platform has this feature yet available,,,Really getting sick of us here in Canada being treated as second class citizens,,There is a huge market for Windows Phone to excell but carriers or Microsoft seem to give a hoot about making a dent here in Canada,,Soon as Android allows me to voice text in my Ford,,,I'm done with these .

I Plan to Stick Around

Hello,

My N8 is having charging problems, my first Nokia with a hardware problem.  I am going to have to replace it soon.

Rogers does not carry any new phones I am interested in.  And I would like to stay with Nokia because of their hardware.  

Will the Lumia 1520 fully work in on Rogers -ie.  LTE, SMS, MMS - etc?

Anyone using a 930 or 1520 in Canada in a large city?  If so, I would like to hear your experiences.

(yes, I know the 930 is not here yet, but just wondering - it's my pick, but can't wait 6 months for it to make it to NA)

Thanks,

Mr. V

I Plan to Stick Around

In the fall? Wonder if it'll be something as silly as the Icon, call it the Red One and slap the Rogers logo on it lol.
Proud Windows Phone Ambassador, got a Windows Phone question? I can probably answer.