cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia Lumia 930

matthieugd
I Plan to Stick Around

It was announced during the keynote of Build 2014 (a developer conference) by Stephen Elop. No word about a release in Canada since they only mentionned "Europe, Asia and Latin America" during the keynote.

More details here : http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/04/02/nokia-announces-the-lumia-930-630-and-635-running-windows-phone-8-...

***Edited Labels.***

112 REPLIES 112

Re: Nokia Lumia 930

IainS
I Plan to Stick Around
yes a variant of the 930 will be available soon unlocked and all the correct bands to work on Canadian networks, should be arriving around the 22nd july, I would imagine the price tag will be close to $800 though, so if you want the 930 please wait for this to come out.

IainS
I Plan to Stick Around
Update to the above info, there is no NA variant coming, the supplier was misinformed, on the the international version rm-1045 will be available for the foreseeable future.

dermotf
I've Been Here Awhile

Just got the Lumia 930 from OmegaCell and it is amazing. I was very nervous but now I have no regrets.  It gets LTE fine on Rogers. I am in the Vancouiver area. The only thing I have not managed to get working is MMS. Not a huge deal but would be nice to have it working.

dermotf
I've Been Here Awhile

By the way, the version I got is Malaysian.

vivekvp
I Plan to Stick Around

Omegacell contacted me and said, about the Lumia 930 RM 1045

"It works where coverage on LTE 2600 mHz is available. Expect reduced coverage but it will use LTE where that frequency is in use."

Phonearea says:
FDD LTE:
800 (band 20), 900 (band 8), 1800 (band 3), 2100 (band 1), 2600 (band 7) MHz

Now...Does Calgary use teh 2600 Mhz range (and band 7).

Spend $800 for a 3g phone in 2014?

Help Gurus?

Thanks,

V

John555
I Plan to Stick Around

> MMS. Not a huge deal but would be nice to have it working.

You should be able to get it working with Nokia Access Point

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/access-point/ce3895c7-01d0-4daf-a4c3-25c10463942d

IainS
I Plan to Stick Around

yes you will get the LTE band 2600 in Calgary. I have a 930 from omegacell and works pretty good for the most part.

IainS
I Plan to Stick Around

Nokia access point does not work on the 930, it is built into the simcard settings now.

John555
I Plan to Stick Around

@IainS wrote:

Nokia access point does not work on the 930, it is built into the simcard settings now.

Good to know, does it work like the actual Access Point program....display list of carriers and/or do you just manually configure APN. Should have allowed you to configure MSM.

IainS
I Plan to Stick Around
yes you can use automatic setting or add manually from the sim settings. no extra app need now

dermotf
I've Been Here Awhile

I tried every APN setting I could find, even contacted Rogers and tried what they suggested but still cannot get MMS to work on the 930. Has anyone managed to get it working?

IainS
I Plan to Stick Around

I havent had to do anything with my settings on the 930, just left it as automatic and everything works as it should, maybe turn your back to automatic and not use manual settings. The Nokia APN settings are usually good to go out of the box for most networks.

vivekvp
I Plan to Stick Around

does anyone have an opinion on whether to buy a 930 from OmegaCell or Expansys?

if you have bought one from either - what was your experience like?

There is a price difference $675 (OmegaCell) vs $709 (Expansys)

I think Omegacell only has black in stock.

Thanks,

V

matthieugd
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello,

I think some people here have bought the Lumia 1520 from OmegaCell. The difference of price come maybe from the fact that at 675$ the device comes with a guranty of only 1 month. Choose one year and the price is 750$.

The "only" problem you are going to have is that the 930 is destined to the international market and so the LTE bands are not exactly the same as the one here in Noth America.

LTE bands of Roges: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks : 17, 4 , 7

LTE bands of the 930 : 1,3,7,8,20

As you can see there's only one in common. This is not a big deal but I wonder myself if there's any impact on the battery life.

Matthieu

IainS
I Plan to Stick Around

I purchased my 930 from Omegacell, completly happy with service and phone.

yes LTE does only work with Rogers on the 2600 band, very good speeds for the most part.

battery easily gets me thru the whole day and night.

vivekvp
I Plan to Stick Around

I never even thought about battery life!

vivekvp
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Iain S,

How often do you get LTE? Does it drop to 3g often?

matthieugd
I Plan to Stick Around

It will depend of the cell network in your city and more importnant what are the LTE cell towers where you live and work since you pass most of your time near those antennas. Here's a website with some information

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

IainS
I Plan to Stick Around

i receive LTE for most of the Calgary area, it drops down to 3g when i leave the city or when im home in Woodbine.

vivekvp
I Plan to Stick Around

Cool Site - thanks!

So each tower covers all bands - (LTE, 3g etc)?

Thanks,

Mr. V

RealtorTechGuy
I Plan to Stick Around

Simply awesome!!! Got my Lumia 930 today. So far I can say this is a HUGE upgrade from my Lumia 920. Data access from Rogers has always been spotty at my home (cell reception overall is pretty bad) but there are a few locations that get LTE near me. During tests at these specific locations, phone displays 4G and sometimes H+, not LTE. Running Speedtest is not a true test as it is "clean". But was getting 50MBPS+ reports while the phone was displaying 4G. Amazing. Can honestly say the surfing was just as if not faster than on the 920.

Display is beautiful, bright, crisp and clean.

Have not had a full battery cycle and have been hammering the device a great deal getting it setup, but looks like performance is good.

Wife has the 830, that is an excellent device, 930 is just that much better. Weight I think is the biggest in terms of physical use, 930 is heavier feels high quality it that is eh. The weight feels more comfortable to use. 830 is actually much longer than 930. Display is superior on 930.

Feels likes the device is faster and smoother but have not done side-by-side testing with either 830 or 920.

No Denim yet so need to research that a bit.

Received a few updates and the typical Dev Prev updates but nothing else. Have not researched any OS version numbering though.

Build quality is outstanding.

Was very concerned about data and I have 0 issue.

In fact Rogers confirms that LTE is on 2600 MHZ frequency which is supported. I know there is a great deal about frequencies and bands discussions and I by no means claim to know much but according to multiple Rogers techs & documents their LTE is only on 2600 MHZ. Yes I know this will get a lot of comments. But that is what MY research has led me to believe and in practice I get excellent data speeds.

Was in love with the 920. Typically I am the guy to upgrade immediately when a new device comes out. Have used my 920 since release day. Never felt a need to upgrade but it is now "old" and really felt like getting a new device. 930 for me is going to be an excellent upgrade.

Struggled to get the 830 but few tech specs I felt were not up to par, did not feel a huge leap from the 920 and do not like the USB port on the top.

So far after a few hours of use I am one very happy Lumia 930 owner.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats