Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet

Hello grapemanca

Sadly Canadian carriers will never get the international models and this has been seen forever. We get stuck with the phone but without wireless Charging and without features that the international model gets.
yogaboy905
I Plan to Stick Around

I wonder why that is.  Is it something to do with regulatory issues & the federal government? I don't know.  I expect as always things come down to money and these additional features probably increase the cost the threshold to an amount that the carriers believe Canadians won't pay.  I called AT&T in Buffalo last night and they don't have stock for the 1520 yet and don't know when it'll be available - but the phone is listed on their website.  They do expect to have the Nokia 2520 tablet in the next few days though. The absence of the Qi wireless charging is something that would be very nice to have and wireless inductive chargers are generally available for small money on Amazon - too bad AT&T won't be carrying the 1520 model that can take advantage of the feature.  I think I really just need to cool my jets and wait a while till something is commercially available at a reasonable price.  He who rushes usually loses (or in this case pays too much).

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello yogaboy905

If ATT doesn't have that model, Rogers or bell or Telus will. They have the same model as ATT does. It all comes down to the manufacturer and the carriers. Also it comes down to regulations. In the end, carriers can only do so much. I would love to get features the international phones get
lundon44
I Plan to Stick Around

There's absolutely no reason why Rogers won't get the 32GB Qi enabled model. AT&T doesn't support Qi as their standard which is why they chose not to enable it by default. I can't see the same policy being in place for Rogers. As well, Rogers doesn't always get exactly the same model as AT&T. Rogers seems to be getting a lot of quad band models lately which is great. AT&T customers could only wish for the same.

While I'm not 100% certain Rogers is getting the 1520 I have to assume they wouldn't pass up on this flagship. The 1020 is about as niche as the 1520 is and they got that. After all the inquiries we have made on the Rogers page they haven't confirmed the released but they also haven't denied it. They've just said "Stay Tuned". They said that about the 920 and the 1020 and they came.

I'll give them a few weeks to make some sort of official annoucement or until a leak comes before I try my luck with the unlocked international model. I had originally placed an order for it but cancelled it today because I'm trying to learn a new thing for me called "patience" lol.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello lundon44

While that is true, its all Canadian and US carriers. International models do not have the same hardware that we get. They don't have LTE on theirs. This is a big investment.
matthieugd
I Plan to Stick Around

The international model usually differs about the GSM/LTE bands present on the device (on the 1520 the none-US version there's LTE). That's normal but I didn't recall AT&T having a version so different from others countries before the Lumia 1520. The 1520 is available in Finland and Vietnam with  32G and wireless charging. I think the fact that AT&T support another wirelress charging technology is the reason behind the move.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello matthieugd

Exactly. It could be that reason as well. Remember also that North American carriers want something different on their phones and also LTE is a must. So thr models vary in each country / part of the world
lundon44
I Plan to Stick Around

Honestly, I'll be surprised if Rogers delivers a crappy 16GB non-Qi model like AT&T.. Or they could always deliver both models at a different price point.

If they don't then I'll once again consider the international model.

BTW, anyone recall how long after Rogers got the 1020 after AT&T launched it? Might be a similar delay.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello lundon44

If i am not mistaken, might have been almost a few weeks after ATT did. They can't deliver both models at once. Sadly no carrier does that in North America or the rest of the world.

I really doubt they will carry the international model so i wouldn't be holding my breath for it.
lundon44
I Plan to Stick Around

Well AT&T claims they will carry the 32GB model down the road. So I guess I figured Rogers could do the same.