Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
win7463
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet

Nice to see this thread still so active. Ends up my wife has been stuck in Chicago since Thursday on a layover from New York to Winnpeg with flights that keep getting cancelled. The extra expense has set my phone budget back about a month. If Rogers doesn't carry it by early next month then I will be ordering the international version. Manitoba does not have 2600Mhz LTE, only 1700/2100Mhz as they share LTE sites with MTS. In the North where I live we still only have HSPA+ so not having LTE bands that work in Manitoba would not bother me.

Dos101
I Plan to Stick Around

Picked up a Lumia 1520 last night from OmegaCell. So far works beautifully, no issues with LTE speeds etc. Shame Rogers doesn't carry it, yet another sale they lost out on.

lundon44
I Plan to Stick Around

Nice to see a lot of others jumping on the bandwagon! Trust me you guys will be very happy overall with your new 1520's. I've had mine for almost a month now and I still love it. Mind you I have encountered a few little annoying bugs on occasion but I have managed to find solutions, workarounds or deal with them until a future update addresses them. The phone isn't exactly perfect (but pretty close) so if anyone who gets one has any questions or anything on their new 1520 feel free to reach me over at WPCentral.com's forums. I'm on there quite regularly and go by user Lundon44 over there.

One quick tip for you guys I learned last week. If you plan on adding media to a storage card I recommend to drag and drop your files from the PC to the storage. If copy and paste it will do funny things like show 15 copies of the one movie you copied over in the music and video hub. And another thing is music playlists saved on storage will disappear on a soft reset. So only put the playlists that are important to you on the phone storage and toss the rest of your music on the storage card.

Navillus
I Plan to Stick Around

Add me to the group; I ordered mine last night! I should get it before the end of the week! Super stoked.  Do you guys think a black nokia folio case would look good with a white 1520, or should I just get a white folio?

Thanks for the tips lundon44!  You don't happen to have a quick way to download your xbox music cloud collection to the device, aside from manually checking each one to download, do you?

lundon44
I Plan to Stick Around

@Navillus wrote:

Add me to the group; I ordered mine last night! I should get it before the end of the week! Super stoked.  Do you guys think a black nokia folio case would look good with a white 1520, or should I just get a white folio?

Thanks for the tips lundon44!  You don't happen to have a quick way to download your xbox music cloud collection to the device, aside from manually checking each one to download, do you?

White will get really dirty fast. So I'd probably take a black one. I bought a clear case for mine until I can find a yellow folio Nokia case pop up again online. You want to show off that color so don't cover it up too much.

I'll be honest I've actually stopped using Xbox Music a few yrs ago due to some headaches with it so unfortunately I can't offer you any advice there. I just do the old fashioned method of syncing over a few of my fav playlists and songs using Windows Media Player. 

Navillus
I Plan to Stick Around

@lundon44 wrote:
White will get really dirty fast. So I'd probably take a black one. I bought a clear case for mine until I can find a yellow folio Nokia case pop up again online. You want to show off that color so don't cover it up too much.

I'll be honest I've actually stopped using Xbox Music a few yrs ago due to some headaches with it so unfortunately I can't offer you any advice there. I just do the old fashioned method of syncing over a few of my fav playlists and songs using Windows Media Player. 

Ah ha, have I got a deal for you. You can get a yellow Nokia protective case for the everyday low price of $1600 (link) !
Jokes aside, there are some legitimate prices on the Canadian ebay site for the yellow folio, if you are interested.  I agree that the white one will probably get dirty faster, but after looking at how the white case looks with a white 1520, versus the black case, I had to go white. I'm probably going to regret that, in which case you can tell me you told me so, haha.

I've been unfortunate with my Lumia 920 in that I've had to replace it quite a few times (3 actually) due to various issues. So, I've had to re-download my music collection more than most. Aside from that, though, I've loved xbox music. I've rebuilt my music collection through the xbox  music store, where I've actually been able to find most of my music. For the songs I can't find, I just download elsewhere, and add them through the metro app. Combine that with the Nokia mix radio which finally works in Canada, and I've got myself a pretty killer music set-up. It's too bad you've had issues.

weetigo
I Plan to Stick Around

Windows Phone Central has tipped that the RM-938 from AT&T will be available in 32 GB configurations shortly. Story is here.

AT&T to launch the 32GB Nokia Lumia 1520 on January 10? [Update]
http://m.wpcentral.com/att-32gb-nokia-lumia-1520-january-10

I wish Nokia Canada would announce something. Their windows devices on Canadian carriers have been few and far between.
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello weetigo

While that is true, doesn't mean Rogers will get it. It could mean tho that maybe bell or Telus may get it or no one will. Who knows.

The issue is Nokia Canada seems to be controlled by the carriers. It doesn't say anything until the carrier announces something.
mdomod
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Nav, although the seller from the link indicates that the device is coming from the USA, this is actually the current routing path I'm seeing... Not that there would be anything wrong with the device or maybe the 2-4 days shipping time would even be achieved but it shows (also regarding the 'wrong color' phone I got) that getting the device from an online auction adds some uncertainties...:

- 

1/09/2014  -  Thursday

3:01 am

In transit

SENNAN-SHI JP
 - 

1/08/2014  -  Wednesday

7:00 pm

In transit

SINGAPORE SG

5:13 pm

In transit

SINGAPORE SG

4:53 pm

In transit

SINGAPORE SG

2:56 pm

Left FedEx origin facility

SINGAPORE SG

2:02 pm

Picked up

SINGAPORE SG

12:02 am

Clearance delay - Import

MISSISSAUGA, ON
 - 

1/07/2014  -  Tuesday

2:06 am

Shipment information sent to FedEx
lundon44
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello weetigo

While that is true, doesn't mean Rogers will get it. It could mean tho that maybe bell or Telus may get it or no one will. Who knows.

The issue is Nokia Canada seems to be controlled by the carriers. It doesn't say anything until the carrier announces something.

Exactly. However, I'm more curious to see if the Canadian carriers skip on the 1520 and release a Canadian variant of the Icon (aka Verizon Lumia 929). The phone as we know is essentially a 1520 with a 5" screen and metal body. They might find that phone suits more of their target clients. Perhaps the 1520 is too "niche" for them. But then again, if that were the case why would they carry the 1020...

Just my thoughts..