Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet

Hello everyone.

So today i found out Rogers and Fido will be releasing the Lumia 625. They can. Surely sell that device but not the 1520.

Seems like me and the others were right. Get it from somewhere else as Rogers wont get it. Sadly they are missing out on a amazing device
zdonkulous
I've Been Here Awhile

Hey Everybody,

First time poster here.

Just wanted to thank all the contributers to this thread on helping me make my decision to pull the trigger on the Nokia 1520 [no thanks to Rogers of course].  Thanks to people like Meomix, Lundon44 & mdomod for providing all the helpful information!

Extra special thanks to Navillus for mentioning the ebay seller Tropical_Mobile!  This seller was awesome & fast.  I made the purchase Sunday night PST & received the fedex tracking number within the hour.  The phone was in hand 3 days later.  Not to mention the free priority shipping too!

All in all, I paid $560 USD + $22.36 CAD import tax + $9.99 Rogers nano sim card.

If you're thinking about this phone, simply put, it's awesome.  The display is phenominal & the device in hand oozes premium build quality.

The only thing different than what people on here are saying is that my 1520 reports LTE connection & not 4G.  Other than that minor difference, my experience has been bang on to what others are reporting.

Also, not sure if anybody else has mentioned this, but my device defaulted a 3G setting which kind of freaked me out for a minute or so.  I was able to recitfy this by changing this in the settings.

Cheers.

Navillus
I Plan to Stick Around

No worries! I figure if I can help get this awesome phone into anyone's hands, that's awesome. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that you are enjoying your new purchase! Congrats! I'm also really glad that I found the Tropical_Mobile ebay user, as they seem to be a great seller that I'll most likely use more than once. Plus, that marks at least 3 people now who have used that seller on this forum. It's too bad about your timing with the weak Canadian dollar though, but's it still a great price at the end of the day.

Your timing is good in other ways though! Just today I got an update that seems to fix the touch screen issues I was having (often swipes were being registered as taps), which I'm pretty stoked about.

Also, I personally keep my phone on 3G all the time. The LTE reception where my house is in my city is a little weak, and hurts the battery life. With it limited at 3G, I easily get over 2 days of battery life with medium use (I don't game much, but do everything else), which is amazing. 3G also seems to be more than enough for my internet uses, so I don't ever even consider switching back. Just something for you to consider!

michael-r4
I Plan to Stick Around

I also purchased this device outside of Canada,,Waiting for Rogers is like waiting for this stupid winter to end,,,LOL,,Anyway read here on this forum 2 weeks ago Rogers would not bring in the Nokia 1520 because they considered to big of a device,,So what does Rogers announce today ? The new curved 6 INCH LG device,,Funny how that works,,Rogers messed up bringing in the Nokia 1020 so late in the game knowing all well the Nokia 1520 was just around the corner,,The Nokia 1020 did not sell well for them,,( No effort into promoting handset till there stock room was full and they needed to dump them ) So to save face Rogers came up with an excuse the Noika 1520 is just to big for the average user..Wonder how the 6 INCH LG is gonna fit into the average users hand,,What a bunch of bull,,

zdonkulous
I've Been Here Awhile

The sad truth is that Rogers blames everybody/thing than themselves.

Weak sales of all previous awesome Windows phones is directly attributed to bringing the products late to market.  For example, the Nokia 1020 wasn't announced or released into Canada for at least 3 months.  Meanwhile, the next wave of windows phone releases is already hitting the internet.  As awesome as the 1020 is, why would I buy the 1020 when it's past it's "best before" date in mobile tech???

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello zdonkulous

The problem is both Nokia, Microsoft and Rogers and they ALL are NOT doing anything to show off the device here in Canada. Rogers mostly as they are the carrier and they need to promote it more.

It could be more then Rogers tho. Remember Nokia and Rogers are the ones with the dates and announcements and such. Either way it seems like Nokia and Rogers aren't doing much to promote it with Rogers. Why is Nokia still with Rogers i will never know but it could be as Rogers gives them more money
michael-r4
I Plan to Stick Around

When a company as with  Rogers cries for exclusivity rights on Windows Phone platform and all the hardware to boot then do nothing to promote the O/S what do they expect ? I am a Windows Phone developer and i can tell you straight up Windows 8.1 is going to make Andriod and Apple start looking in the rear view mirror..The new O/S is going to rock... I am also privileged to the new platform in April of this year,, So i will keep everyone posted on to what we may expect in the coming half of 2014,,Now when Rogers or any other carrier decides to release it once it becomes official is anyones guess,,This is why i carry a sim free unlocked version phone so i can reap the rewards when i choose and not the almighty carrier

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello michael-r4

Not only that but when Nokia gives Rogers the exclusivity rights to the flag ship Nokia Lumia devices, they seem not to care if Rogers does not promote it or not or else Nokia would have went with another carrier by now. Rogers is mostly at fault tho.

Remember tho, not everyone has $800+ on hand to get a new unlocked version phone thus why they get it on a discount with the carriers. Either way i will have to wait & see what Windows 8.1 brings out before i judge it / say that its better then Apple & Android. It most likely is but who knows.
michael-r4
I Plan to Stick Around

First off,, Nokia and Rogers may be in a bad marriage and need to resolve some issues But that is no excuse for leaving the Canadian market out to dry on flagship devices,,Second i said Windows 8.1 will rock, and give the others a reason to stay sharp,,Never said Windows 8.1 will be a superior O/S,,I'm sure hoping tho,,lol

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello michael-r4

While that is true i am sure Bell & or Telus want some Windows devices but not giving the amount Rogers is thats why they most likely do not get the devices.