Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Navillus
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet

I don't know how fedex accounts work, but if they are free, perhaps you can somehow get out of the $10 rod fee.
RareFX
I'm Here A Lot

One day later, OmegaCell has the red Lumia 1520 back in stock...  It was all packaged, shipped, and delivered all in less than 24 hours!  Now I can't wait to get off work to pick up my package 🙂

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello rarefx

Great to hear! I ordered a Yellow one but cancelled it when i saw red! Mine shows on Tuesday it will arrive!!
mdomod
I Plan to Stick Around

It's there, it's beautiful and the customs was 23 CAD instead of 94 CAD last time!

That's a good deal.

Navillus
I Plan to Stick Around

@mdomod wrote:

It's there, it's beautiful and the customs was 23 CAD instead of 94 CAD last time!

That's a good deal.

So, how are you liking it so far?

I'm curious if you are experiencing something to what I am experiencing (or anyone, for that matter). In some apps (and only some), at the very bottom of the screen there is a single row of white pixels that extends across the entire width of the screen, and is obviously most noticable in apps that have dark background colours. Is this happening to anyone else? Again, it only happens in some apps.

mdomod
I Plan to Stick Around

I like it very much. Especially with the already installed 'black' update the new features are very nice. The screen is absolutely gorgeous and it is a treat to read text and websites on it. The device being yellow makes it extra special, at one of my kid's events I instantly had like 6 people around me to check the device out 😉

Realizing that I now also have Xbox Video on it, the viewing quality and experience is super nice. The sound is very good and I am happy that there is a very good equalizer in the audio settings again (like I had with my Lumia 920).

Then the camera, OMG, the pictures and videos are so sharp, wow. I made a little video and it looks like it was created with a professional camera they use for TV and movies, wow.

I have been testing the network speeds a little bit and where I got '4G' my speedtest got me to about 36 Mb/s down and 2.4 Mb/s up http://www.speedtest.net/wp/6916015.png. That is a very nice result. This week I will also be testing the '4G' speeds at work incl. 'Internet Sharing'. I'll report back on that.

The size of the device does not bother me since the touch and feel is still 'slim' due to it's thin and small edges design.

Having the phone in my pocket and bending to for example pick something up or tie my laces feels risky so I'm always careful I don't have it in my pocket if I do those things..

Adjusting the car phone holder was a bit of an interesting effort and I'm sure folks at the traffic light can see what's on the screen 😉

The Nokia wireless charging plate I got for my 920 also works with the 1520.

This is a device that Rogers must deploy. Already displaying this device in the stores will definitely wow everyone.

I'll get back with more network evaluation data later.

mdomod
I Plan to Stick Around

I haven't seen the 'row of pixels' issue. I which apps does it happen?
RareFX
I'm Here A Lot

So I've had my red Lumia 1520 from OmegaCell for about 3 days now.

I love the phone a lot and have not experienced any dead/stuck pixels.

My Nokia CR-200 car holder/charger actually just fits the 1520 with one of the arms pressing against 1/3 of the camera button (the camera does not get triggered thankfully).

However, I've encountered the following issues:

1. Screen sensitivity issue -- about 20% of the time, a finger swipe is recognized as a finger tap. Also, a tap-and-hold is sometimes recognized as a single light tap. The Extras+Info update did not fix this issue.

2. LCD bleeding on touch -- top-middle, bottom-middle and bottom-right of the screen bleeds when pressing down on those areas. Not much pressure from my finger is even required to cause this to happen.

3. Brightness change -- Only occurred once, where the screen brightness after unlocking the phone starts off dim then after 3 seconds switches to my set Medium brightness (I don't use Auto Brightness).

4. Groupon app -- Not visible in the Store when region is set to Canada. I had to switch the regional country to United States (I switched it back to Canada after the install).

lundon44
I Plan to Stick Around

@RareFX wrote:

So I've had my red Lumia 1520 from OmegaCell for about 3 days now.

I love the phone a lot and have not experienced any dead/stuck pixels.

My Nokia CR-200 car holder/charger actually just fits the 1520 with one of the arms pressing against 1/3 of the camera button (the camera does not get triggered thankfully).

However, I've encountered the following issues:

1. Screen sensitivity issue -- about 20% of the time, a finger swipe is recognized as a finger tap. Also, a tap-and-hold is sometimes recognized as a single light tap. The Extras+Info update did not fix this issue.

2. LCD bleeding on touch -- top-middle, bottom-middle and bottom-right of the screen bleeds when pressing down on those areas. Not much pressure from my finger is even required to cause this to happen.

3. Brightness change -- Only occurred once, where the screen brightness after unlocking the phone starts off dim then after 3 seconds switches to my set Medium brightness (I don't use Auto Brightness).

4. Groupon app -- Not visible in the Store when region is set to Canada. I had to switch the regional country to United States (I switched it back to Canada after the install).

The first 3 issues are common to everyone right now so don't be too concerned with those. I assume they will be addressed in a future update. The last issue I can't relate to only because I don't use Groupon, sorry.

My largest concern however is I'm seeing a data leakage. Let me know if anyone else notices. It will take some time to monitor through Data Sense. But I've been seeing large chunks of data being used even while connected to wifi. This is what concerns me. I have a 6GB plan with Rogers and I have 9 days to go until it renews. I received a 80% usage text this morning from Rogers. I checked Data Sense and it says I have 600MB remaining. Funny part was I was at 1.63GB remaining Friday night and I've been connected to wifi 95% of the weekend. When I wasn't I used Nokia Drive for less than 10 min. And sent a few emails and texts. I don't use Xbox Music and I have Pics and Vids to upload ONLY by wifi. So there's something funny happening here. 

Navillus
I Plan to Stick Around

@mdomod wrote:

This is a device that Rogers must deploy. Already displaying this device in the stores will definitely wow everyone.

I absolutely agree with everything you have said, except I am a little sad that xbox video only supports video up to 480p for the time being though.

While my white isn't as eye catching as your yellow, when I was at the movies this weekend, I had some people gawking at it while waiting in line for food, haha.

I also haven't been able to test the lte speeds yet because where I lte is very spotty. My city has lte, but my neighbourhood has always been terrible (even with my 920 that had both rogers lte bands), so I turn off lte so my battery doesn't die. As a result though, I get almost 2 days out of this device, which is amazing.

I couldn't agree with what you said above more ( what I quoted). In my opinion, this is the best looking Windows Phone, if not the best looking phone in general, on the market. It is an impressive phone in basically every way, and even if the screen is too big for some people, it will help get Windows Phone into the mindshare of the public just being on display.

I did a slightly better job of describing the "line of pixels" problem in this thread (link). So far I've experienced it in Nokia Mix Radio, Nokia Camera, 9Gag, and a few others.