Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
lundon44
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 123

Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet

Happy New Year!

 

Hope everyone here had a great new years and a nice holiday! I'm unfortunately back at the office after my 2 week break so thought I'd log in and catch up on the convo.

 

Meowmix did you get your 1520 yet? And if so how are you liking it? I've done more thorough battery testing in the last few weeks and my original idea that the weak LTE signal was draining battery may have changed a bit. I noticed I was losing battery even in airplane mode as well (but with GPS on). So I've since then disabled GPS (until I need it) and found some improvement. Your results of course may vary from mine. I seem to lose about 4-5% battery hourly (without use) and with most things on 24/7 like wi-fi, LTE, etc. The battery read out on the 1520 unfortunately isn't very accurate too which is also caused me to obsess over it more than I should be. No matter what the battery never shows more than 20 hours battery remaining for me. And interestingly, I did a full charge one night, put it in airplane mode, disabled GPS and took it off the charger. I didn't touch the phone overnight and 8 hours later I checked the battery level and it was down to 96%. So in 8hrs I only lost 4% and yet it still showed 20 hours remaining. So I just didn't want to make anyone paranoid about the battery issues I'm encountering, though I have turned off GPS and that seems to improve things a bit for me.

 

On a side note, I think someone was asking about the differences in speed on my device with LTE vs 3G. I have tested both and I typically get about 33-35mbps download on LTE. If I flip it over to 3G max speed I get about 3-4mbps. Which realistically still gets the job done. If you're streaming a lot of video or downloading a ton of things it's a bit slow but it works perfectly fine for updating live tiles, receiving emails and instant messaging. Even surfing the web is still do-able on 3G. But based on my findings I've ended up reverting back to 4G. Though the signal does moves around a lot when in doors or underground. It can jump from 4G on sec to H+, to 3G, to 2G and back to 4G.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Posts: 32,102

Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet

Hello lundon44

I will be ordering it tonight!. I had a few things to deal with during the holidays!. My friend did get his played around with it. Loved it !. His battery lasted for over 14 hrs.

I will post more when i get my device & do some testing for a few days!.
lundon44
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 123

Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet

Congrats! The big day has finally arrived for you. That means you should have it by next week!

 

Should you be looking at any cases for it, I recently bought the IMAK clear case: IMAK Clear Case and it looks and feels great. It's not too bulky and it still lets the color of the phone shine through. However, it seems like it's fairly easy to scratch it.

 

I'm still on the hunt for the official Nokia flipcover in yellow. For some reason they are impossible to find in yellow only Smiley Sad

yogaboy905
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 13

Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet

As I reported a while ago ... I've received my 1520 from OmegaCell for a couple of weeks now and I'm very satisfied with my choice.  I've since ordered from China an inexpensive red case that cost me $10 US ... I still don't have it but I'll let everyone know what my experience is once it's arrived.  In the meantime, I'm looking for a low cost Qi Wireless charger.  I know there are many on the market from various sources ... however if someone can recommend one that's both attractive and works with our 1520 I'd appreciate the tip.  This blog has been very helpful to me, without it I wouldn't have the best phone out there now.  BTW, my battery lasts me the entire day without question - I've got alot turned on & take up to 10 calls daily - so I'm pleased.  The rest is up to Microsoft to add more value to the O/S with the anticipated update in the spring sometime.  I sure would like to see more advertising so others will increase their adoption rate so that ultimately there will be quality apps.  By for now and happy new year to all.  Thanks for participating.

lundon44
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 123

Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet


@yogaboy905 wrote:

As I reported a while ago ... I've received my 1520 from OmegaCell for a couple of weeks now and I'm very satisfied with my choice.  I've since ordered from China an inexpensive red case that cost me $10 US ... I still don't have it but I'll let everyone know what my experience is once it's arrived.  In the meantime, I'm looking for a low cost Qi Wireless charger.  I know there are many on the market from various sources ... however if someone can recommend one that's both attractive and works with our 1520 I'd appreciate the tip.  


Glad to hear you're enjoying your 1520 as well! The case I bought also shipped from Asia and cost between $5-10 from what I recall. As for charger advice I can't offer a whole lot. I know there are a lot of choices. I originally bought the Nokia wireless charging stand for the Lumia 920 that Rogers sold. It worked great for my 920 and I've been using it with my 1520 as well with no issues. 

 

My battery also lasts me a full day but with all the talk online of people bragging about using it for 2-3 days without charging it I became concerned I had a lemon. Based on the fact that I consider myself a power user I don't think I can go a FULL day without charging it.

al_bundy
I've Been Here Awhile
Posts: 3

Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet


@lundon44 wrote:

Happy New Year!

 

Hope everyone here had a great new years and a nice holiday! I'm unfortunately back at the office after my 2 week break so thought I'd log in and catch up on the convo.

 

Meowmix did you get your 1520 yet? And if so how are you liking it? I've done more thorough battery testing in the last few weeks and my original idea that the weak LTE signal was draining battery may have changed a bit. I noticed I was losing battery even in airplane mode as well (but with GPS on). So I've since then disabled GPS (until I need it) and found some improvement. Your results of course may vary from mine. I seem to lose about 4-5% battery hourly (without use) and with most things on 24/7 like wi-fi, LTE, etc. The battery read out on the 1520 unfortunately isn't very accurate too which is also caused me to obsess over it more than I should be. No matter what the battery never shows more than 20 hours battery remaining for me. And interestingly, I did a full charge one night, put it in airplane mode, disabled GPS and took it off the charger. I didn't touch the phone overnight and 8 hours later I checked the battery level and it was down to 96%. So in 8hrs I only lost 4% and yet it still showed 20 hours remaining. So I just didn't want to make anyone paranoid about the battery issues I'm encountering, though I have turned off GPS and that seems to improve things a bit for me.

 

On a side note, I think someone was asking about the differences in speed on my device with LTE vs 3G. I have tested both and I typically get about 33-35mbps download on LTE. If I flip it over to 3G max speed I get about 3-4mbps. Which realistically still gets the job done. If you're streaming a lot of video or downloading a ton of things it's a bit slow but it works perfectly fine for updating live tiles, receiving emails and instant messaging. Even surfing the web is still do-able on 3G. But based on my findings I've ended up reverting back to 4G. Though the signal does moves around a lot when in doors or underground. It can jump from 4G on sec to H+, to 3G, to 2G and back to 4G.


Hi lundon44,

 

I hope your battery situation will resolve itself over time.  gsmarena did their battery test on the 1520 and it was reporting pretty decent numbers but if you are a power user charging it daily seems to be the norm these days (from what I obvserved in the past, all smartphones need daily juice if you use it heavily no matter how big the battery is).

 

And thank you very much for the speed test!

win7463
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 27

Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet


@sunster wrote:
Thank you win7463. I don't know what to believe 🙂 at any rate, I emailed unlock.canadagsm.ca to see if they have unlock codes available for AT&T's version of the 1520 (rm-940). He said it's not available at the moment. Do you know any other reputable 3rd party unlocking service that I can try contacting. When I google search for unlocking service, there are many results that pop up. They all look legit but I'm sure some are sketchy. Thanks

I have bought all my phones unlocked or bought unlock codes from unlock.canadagsm.ca so I cannot vouch for the legitimacy of any other sites.

 

 

win7463
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 27

Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet


@lundon44 wrote:

 

On a side note, I think someone was asking about the differences in speed on my device with LTE vs 3G. I have tested both and I typically get about 33-35mbps download on LTE. If I flip it over to 3G max speed I get about 3-4mbps. Which realistically still gets the job done. If you're streaming a lot of video or downloading a ton of things it's a bit slow but it works perfectly fine for updating live tiles, receiving emails and instant messaging. Even surfing the web is still do-able on 3G. But based on my findings I've ended up reverting back to 4G. Though the signal does moves around a lot when in doors or underground. It can jump from 4G on sec to H+, to 3G, to 2G and back to 4G.


Thanks for the update on speeds. From your description I am guessing that 4G = LTE, H+ is the higher HSPA+ speeds, 3G is standard HSPA speeds and 2G would be EDGE.

lundon44
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 123

Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet


@win7463 wrote:

Thanks for the update on speeds. From your description I am guessing that 4G = LTE, H+ is the higher HSPA+ speeds, 3G is standard HSPA speeds and 2G would be EDGE.


Hey win7463,

 

You are correct my friend. The phone doesn't show LTE, it shows 4G instead.

win7463
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 27

Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet


@lundon44 wrote:

@win7463 wrote:

Thanks for the update on speeds. From your description I am guessing that 4G = LTE, H+ is the higher HSPA+ speeds, 3G is standard HSPA speeds and 2G would be EDGE.


Hey win7463,

 

You are correct my friend. The phone doesn't show LTE, it shows 4G instead.


Another question, does  internet sharing work for you?