Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet

Hello Sorethroat

I do admit there is a few things i miss about the iPhone BUT i would never keep it as my maim device.
sorethroat
I've Been Here Awhile

Yep. I *might* miss the golf GPS app, but Windows might have a decent substitute. Regardless, the aggravation of that phone's interface far exceeds any minor benefits.
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello sorethroat

Exactly! Its also good to explore and try out something new instead of sticking to the same OS and device.
sorethroat
I've Been Here Awhile

For the dude looking for a good price Nokia NFC charger -- MS Canada is selling the Nokia DT-900 wireless charging plate now for $49.99 w free shipping, but in every colour but black.  That $61 dt-900 from amazon.ca still the cheapest I've found for the genuine Nokia charge.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/productID.275987500 

al_bundy
I've Been Here Awhile

hello all,

I have been doing some reading on the net about 4g versus LTE.  It seems that LTE sometimes could be mistaken as true 4g and that "4g" as indicated by some phones may actually just be hspa+.  I now have some suspicison as to whether the rm937 can really access the LTE here, even though lundon44 did a speed test and got a download speed of 25mbps on his rm937 which is just slightly more than the hspa+ limit of 21mbps,  Perhaps another speed test could confirm it if the speed is substantially above the 21mbps.

Now I also know lundon44 tested the battery drain when using the "LTE" which suggest it is the real thing, though I am just not too sure..... since some carriers like to fudge things about LTE, 4g, etc.........

win7463
I Plan to Stick Around

@al_bundy wrote:

hello all,

I have been doing some reading on the net about 4g versus LTE.  It seems that LTE sometimes could be mistaken as true 4g and that "4g" as indicated by some phones may actually just be hspa+.  I now have some suspicison as to whether the rm937 can really access the LTE here, even though lundon44 did a speed test and got a download speed of 25mbps on his rm937 which is just slightly more than the hspa+ limit of 21mbps,  Perhaps another speed test could confirm it if the speed is substantially above the 21mbps.

Now I also know lundon44 tested the battery drain when using the "LTE" which suggest it is the real thing, though I am just not too sure..... since some carriers like to fudge things about LTE, 4g, etc.........

As you indicated lundon44 got over 21 Mbps which is theoretical maximum of single carrier HSPA+ which you wouldn't see in real life. It would always test lower. On my Lumia 920 in Northern Manitoba I am in a HSPA+ only area so my phone alternates between 3G and 4G depending on signal strength with 4G indicating the higher HSPA+ speed. When in Winnipeg my phone indicates LTE. My limited experience with international versions of phones has seen them indicating 3G or 3G+ for HSPA and 4G for LTE. I do not doubt he was seeing 2600Mhz LTE speeds in his speedtest. lf he would like to, he could let us know what he sees on his phone with LTE enabled vs disabled and maybe post a speedtest with LTE disabled to show the comparision to his LTE speed previously posted.

sunster
I'm Here A Lot

Is it safe to say that an unlocked AT&T version will be able to yield 2600 MHz LTE speeds as well. Does anyone here know or know of someone using the AT&T version on Rogers network?

Thanks
win7463
I Plan to Stick Around

@sunster wrote:
Is it safe to say that an unlocked AT&T version will be able to yield 2600 MHz LTE speeds as well. Does anyone here know or know of someone using the AT&T version on Rogers network?

Thanks

I would say based on the information from the at&t wepage for the lumia 1520 provided here http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/nokia/lumia-1520-matte-black.html#fbid=FZ3LE89d-Vftab2 that it would work only on the AWS (1700/2100Mhz) part of Rogers LTE network.. That page says it supports lte bands 2, 4, 5, and 17. Based on information  here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks , band 2 is 1900Mhz, band 4 is AWS (1700/2100Mhz), band 5 is 850Mhz and band 17 is 700Mhz.

win7463
I Plan to Stick Around

@win7463 wrote:

@sunster wrote:

Thanks

I would say based on the information from the at&t wepage for the lumia 1520 provided here http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/nokia/lumia-1520-matte-black.html#fbid=FZ3LE89d-Vftab2 that it would work only on the AWS (1700/2100Mhz) part of Rogers LTE network.. That page says it supports lte bands 2, 4, 5, and 17. Based on information  here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks , band 2 is 1900Mhz, band 4 is AWS (1700/2100Mhz), band 5 is 850Mhz and band 17 is 700Mhz.

Now if you go here http://www.nokia.com/us-en/phones/phone/lumia1520/specifications/ which is the nokia page for specs from the at&t model it shows it also supports band 7 which is 2600Mhz, maybe it is there but just not listed on the at&t website. 🙂

sunster
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you win7463. I don't know what to believe 🙂 at any rate, I emailed unlock.canadagsm.ca to see if they have unlock codes available for AT&T's version of the 1520 (rm-940). He said it's not available at the moment. Do you know any other reputable 3rd party unlocking service that I can try contacting. When I google search for unlocking service, there are many results that pop up. They all look legit but I'm sure some are sketchy. Thanks