Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lundon44
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet

In all honesty I'd be shocked if Rogers didn't get it. Yes I do feel that it if it comes it will come later. But as I've said before, that's a very bad decision if they did. Coming after Xmas is silly. For anyone not willing to buy this phone off contract I'd say wait to see what Rogers does.

For me buying this outright I still can't see myself regretting it even if Rogers gets it. Waiting for Rogers to send out phone updates is a nightmare. 

I also wasn't aware the MS Stores in Canada were selling cases for the 1520. If that's true I'll stop by mine on the way home and see what they say.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello charles1977

Its really up to u. If u want to wait until beginning of January to see if they get it, then wait. The Sony store sells cases for devices Rogers nor any Canadian carrier carries. It all depends tho. You could be right that they may get it.

Also like i stated before, the promotion was left to go on due to the Lumia 1020 sells were poor as its been said. They want more people to get the device. Rogers has been heavily promoting the 1020 on Facebook tho.
lundon44
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah meowmix is right.. And trust me I've been watching and posting heavily on the Rogers and Nokia Canada Facebook pages. The 1020 marketing on those pages doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon and both are dodging any chat about the 1520.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello lundon44

Exactly. Rogers & most carriers are know not to talk about upcoming or devices they may not come. If they do come, that is when they will answer questions. Reps are told not to give out any info under any questions.

Rogers & Nokia are both heavily promoting the 1020 so i really doubt anytime soon we will see the 1520. I doubt they will hype up the 1020 & then stop & bring in the 1520. Although i could be wrong but Rogers never does this.
charles1977
I Plan to Stick Around

well i hope they realize that the 1020 is not selling because everyone is waiting for the 1520 instead.  you can go on forums across the web and notice there's a big demand for it.  they are wasting their time and money promoting it.

why buy a phone with a 2 year old processor, when there's one available with the latest and greatest.  not to mention way bigger screen real estate. 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello charles1977

" well i hope they realize that the 1020 is not selling because everyone is waiting for the 1520 instead. " That line right there has been used so many times lol. The same was said for the 920 when Rogers sold the 900 & the same was said for the 1520 when Rogers sold the 1020. The threads on here can prove this as many said the same line before for the devices i listed above. Yet barely of the Windows phone sold. I wonder why tho. ( Already know lol) Everyone had hyped the 920 for the looks & all. Everyone hyped the 1020 for the 41MP camera YET both devices barely sold in the US & Canada. That is the main reason here.

It comes down to what Rogers wants. Do they want to shell out the money for the device that will barely sell due to the history of the old ones? Does the carrier & manufacturer want to do that? It all depends on the carrier & manufacturer. I sure hope they bring it, but depends which carrier got the agreement to carry it & whatnot.

garysevan
I Plan to Stick Around

The 1020 is about the ground-breaking 41MP camera. The state of the art hardware and Pro Camera app. software that far outclass anything available from Samsung and Sony as examples...

*The selling point of the Nokia Lumia 1020 is the 41MP PureView camera that includes Carl Zeiss optics, Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS), Xenon flash and the capability to record full HD 1080p video. The smartphone has a 1.2MP front-facing camera as well for capturing images, recording videos and features video chat.*

The selling points of the 1020 and the 1520 are divergent. Apples and oranges. Targeting a different pool of users. And where do some of the folks posting to this forum source their statistics? Nokia phones and the Windows Phone 8 OS are doing well globally. Gaining market share quarter over quarter according to Adduplex and others. And poised to continue given continuing hardware excellence and  key App availability and all-important software upgrades such as GDR2 and GDR3, etc.

If anyone posting here can provide the forum with actual published 1020 sales stats. data in Canada please do so. Relative to Rogers and/or any other carrier. Not losing sight of the fact of unlocked version availability.

And when I purchased my 920 last year the sales rep at the Rogers Affiliate outlet tried to convince me to purchase an Android phone instead. Numerous times steering me away from the 920. And most of us here know why. A situation that has now changed as Nokia and Microsoft wield their collective weight.

Looking forward to a Rogers-branded 1520.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello garysevan

If you go on MobileSyrup & another page ( Can not remember it & i am not at home to search my History on my laptop) you will see they have said it. Reps at stores which are downvoting the phones are saying the same thing. A few buddies i know which works at a Rogers stores have told me this & showed me the stock which is just sitting there. Its not selling in Canada that much do to less advertising & less people wanting it. A 41MP on a phone is not really needed & its a gimmick most would say. Also if the carriers / Nokia is not doing anything to show off the device, no one will know about it. Yes tech savvy will but not your normal joe. I do know the industry very well to know what i post on here & say.

" And when I purchased my 920 last year the sales rep at the Rogers Affiliate outlet tried to convince me to purchase an Android phone instead" There is your answer WHY the Lumia phones are not selling that much. You want more proof then that? Also nothing has changed. reps are still telling the customers to get another device / Nokia & Microsoft are barely showing off the device at all.

Rogers is now showing it off on their facebook but that is about it.

lundon44
I Plan to Stick Around

Very true..

Yet I have to wonder who is to blame for the low sales? Clearly it comes down to marketing strategy. Is the problem that Nokia Canada hasn't invested in carriers enough for them to come up with a decent market plan? Or is it soley the carriers fault for not promoting Windows Phone? 

I mean it's clear that these devices are getting almost zero attention on Canadian television or in stores. I've seen ONE Rogers commercial that aired non-stop for a while then WP8 launched. Other than that I've seen nothing anywhere. BB10 launched and it was pushed HARD by carriers and even 3rd party retailers. Obviously BlackBerry is a Canadian company so that makes sense but iPhones and Samsungs are also pushed hard. Microsoft has expendable funds so I don't really get what the problem is. I feel that in Toronto the 1020 did help get Windows Phone some recognition but there's still a ton of people that have no idea what it is here. I've really only seen about a dozen Windows Phones in the wild. However, anyone that I've demoed my Windows Phones to did seem sincerely intrigued by it. It's just unfortunate that I feel like I've personally sold more Windows Phones to family and friends than Rogers has. And I don't work for Rogers. 

michael-r4
I Plan to Stick Around

Just got off the phone with Microsoft Canada and they confirmed yes the Lumia 1520 is coming Canada in the next few weeks,,If not Rogers it will be Telus,,