Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet

Hello sunster

That's is correct. Only and ONLY if the device is factory unlocked, will it get updates straight from Nokia and Microsoft. If its locked to a carrier, then that will be a issue thus u will need to figure it out.

As for the sim card. You are correct. The. Nokia Lumia 1520 device does indeed take a nano sim card thus the Micro sim card will not work. Rogers sells the Nano sim cards for $9.99+ tax. Just buy one and have them activate it on your account. Your micro sim card will be deactivated after and may not be used after that.
garysevan
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you to all for your input. Much appreciated.

yogaboy905...

I reasoned previously that it would make sense for Rogers to carry the Lumia 1520. I've owned a Lumia 920 in the past and thoroughly appreciated the Windows Phone OS. Far superior, I found, to the Android OS on the Galaxy Note 2 that I purchased more recently for its larger display. And, I also, was considering purchasing an unlocked Lumia 1520 RM-937 Global Variant from OmegaCell. [ Better pricing than at Expansys. ] Having this past week visited a local Rogers Plus outlet to talk to a Rep. The managing employee saying to me ... "We don't have it... YET." ... in response to my question as to whether Rogers will be carrying the 1520. His making the statement in a way that left little doubt that the phone will arrive at Rogers. And he confirmed for me that the RM-937 Global Variant will operate at LTE speeds on the Rogers network. No issues.

On the subject of Windows Phone OS updates?

The latest that I know of is a non-iterative 'Blue' update coming in the February 2014 time frame that will include a notification center and improved multitasking plus improvements to built-in apps, etc.

Looks like the most judicious way to proceed is to hold off on any 'unlocked' purchase. Waiting a few more weeks to see if Rogers does announce the coming arrival of the 1520. What I myself will be doing.

All the best to you in whatever choice yourself and others have made or will make.

sunster...

Nano Sim to Micro Sim adapters are available. And others. For as little as $1.00. As far as you know would this be a fitting choice? Avoid the need of purchasing a new SIM card? And my understanding also is that with an unlocked 1520 any OS update can be downloaded directly from Microsoft. All that's required is to do so over a Wi-Fi connection.

lundon44
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey gang, just thought I'd provide an update regarding my new unlocked Lumia 1520. So I tossed in my sim and restored my previous backup no problem. Still haven't been able to install the Rogers apps though. Maybe it will take a few days for it to show as available in the app store.

In regards to service everything works flawlessly. MMS is working, voice calls sound great and the best part is LTE works as hoped. I did a speed test today and got and about 25mbps download and 10mbps upload. The only thing I noticed is it never shows "LTE" on the top left corner. It only shows 4G.

Also you'll have to remove a bunch of preinstalled keyboards for Asian languages and change to language and region settings to Canada.

So for anyone curious of if it will work on Rogers the answer is yes!
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello lundon44

That is great to hear! I was right when i was saying it would work! 🙂 it could be that that model shows 4G instead of LTE. Which is normal on some models.

Glad to hear it works as its supposed to!
al_bundy
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi lundon44,

I am looking to source a 1520 myself.  Can you go to settings / extra + info then go "more info" and let us know the firmware location?  Just curious where omegacell sources their machines, especially if you say you need to remove Asian keyboards.

Thanks!

yogaboy905
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey guys I also just ordered a black phone from OmegaCell.  Apparently I should receive it on Tuesday or Wednesday.  I didn't order the 1 year warranty.  I'll let everyone know what my experience is.  By the way if anyone is interested, there's a woman that's got a 16Gb prototype black phone used by AT&T - no wireless charging & no box.  She's in North York and you can find her listing in Kijiji she wants $730.  She likely doesn't know about OmegaCell which means you should be able to have her reduce her price.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello yogaboy905

The reason why she wants more, is because its a Prototype used by ATT. This can be worth more then a new one to be honest. Collectors will pay more for a prototype used by a carrier or Nokia them selfs.
lundon44
I Plan to Stick Around

@al_bundy wrote:

Hi lundon44,

I am looking to source a 1520 myself.  Can you go to settings / extra + info then go "more info" and let us know the firmware location?  Just curious where omegacell sources their machines, especially if you say you need to remove Asian keyboards.

Thanks!

I checked and as I figured it the RM-937 Hong Kong variant. Also comes pre-installed with Lumia Black update.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello lundon44

That is correct. My buddy got the same model as u did.
charles1977
I Plan to Stick Around

i just have this gut feeling that rogers is going to be getting the nokia 1520 in a few weeks.  like i said before, probably after the nokia 1020 promo period.  i have this feeling nokia 1020 will drop to zero dollars on 2 year contract during boxing week to make room for 1520.  the windows store is carrying the cases for the 1520 because there's rumors to believe that the phone is coming.  if you look at the 1020, it was announced late june and the states got in mid july and rogers announced it would be coming August 31st.  if you take the exact same time frame, the 1520 was announced late october, the states got it mid november, and rogers will announce it Dec 31st.  i can see this happening for some reason.  i'll wait another 2 weeks before i take the plunge on omega site.