Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sunster
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 and 2520 Tablet

Meowmix
Thank you for your input. much appreciated.
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello sunster

You are welcome! 🙂
IainS
I Plan to Stick Around

I purchased a 925 from romania, which of course not intended for use in Canada, with stock romanian rom it gets the H+ for network speed, Installing the stock t-mobile 925 rom from Nokia I now recieve LTE as the network speed. I love the 925 and it should have also been released in Canada. the RM-938 will be released in Canada but unsure of the network, but according to FCC it supports Rogers LTE bands and being that rogers is supposed to be the premiere partner for windows phone in canada you would think rogers would be the ones releasing the device. hopefully it will be released at the same time as the verizon one in the states and the dont miss the holiday season.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello IainS

While that is true, there was a hint that Rogers will no longer be the premiere partner for them. Its been known that Rogers has had issues with the Windows phones in which store reps are telling customers not to get Windows phones & some customers have actually contacted Nokia Canada Head Office & Facebook page. This was a few months ago & dated back to when the Lumia 900 came out.

Even if it does pass the FCC, its not for sure that Rogers will grab it. Like i said before, devices going threw the FCC mean that any carrier can get them. This means Telus, Bell, Virgin or Fido or any other carrier. I really do hope Rogers releases it tho!.

Some phone in Europe are known not to work out of the box in Canada. Some adjustments have to happen to make them work at times.
yogaboy905
I Plan to Stick Around

While browsing, I came across a page of a guy in Alberta that said his corporate Rogers rep said Rogers will be carrying the 1520 in the next few weeks - whatever that means.  Encouraging still for those that want to wait.  I have a question for the community ... if we were to buy the 1520 model from the Alberta company ... I think they're called Omega (or something like that) ... when it comes to updates ... how would we they come to us, or how might we get them.  With Rogers, they're pushed to the phones (although it often feels like it takes forever)?  Does anybody have an answer to that one.  I think knowing the answer to that one is the only thing holding me back from ordering one next week.

Another question, I've got a SIM card in my HTC One with Rogers, would I be able to remove it from the HTC and insert it in the 1520 and away we go - or is there something else I'd have to do ... like go to the Rogers store, get a new SIM or something?  I'm actually in the technology business ... and I can't believe I don't know the answer to these questions!!

And a gripe I've got ... has anyone else noticed how difficult it is to find a phone number to call a Nokia human being to ask questions about their product - and no, I don't mean a carrier on behalf of the manufacturer.  They clearly (in my opinion) don't want to talk to the throngs of us.  There doesn't seem to be a way to communicate with them. Any suggestions anyone?

yogaboy905
I Plan to Stick Around

Also has anybody heard if Microsoft plans to support Java in upcoming releases of the Windows Phone because I believe the 1520 still doesn't support it in its OS?

Does anybody know when Microsoft is expecting to push out the next major upgrade or patch to the Windows Phone OS?

Also, will the current version of Windows Phone support multiple browsers or is IE 10 the only one still?  I used to own a Windows Phone 7 and wanted to upgrade but there weren't any excellent alternatives at the time and now that the 1520 is out ... I'm IN!

Nobody's talking about the 2520 much.  This is also a device I'd like to get.  Does anyone know if a Rogers wireless account can be shared between two or more devices? 

Thanks all

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello yogaboy905

Any Rogers rep can say anything and i have said this many times. I have been told false information about other devices by so many reps its not even funny. I wouldn't believe it until I see it.. The updates are controlled by the carriers so u will need to have s sim card which a carrier has the device and get tge update that way. That's the only way.

Yes you can remove your sim card from your HTC One and pop it into the 1520 and it should work as long as it takes a micro sim card and as long as the device is unlocked. If its locked to a carrier, u will need to unlock it for it to work on Rogers.

No one know when the next update will come out. For that info, u need to wait until its released or leaked out. Yes it will support more then one page in the browser as well.

The reason why no one is talking about that device is because Rogers will never get it as a tablet.

If you are talking about your account if u can use to sim cards on one account? No That is not possible. Rogers has ever and will never do that.
yogaboy905
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Meowmix, on your comment regarding the updates only coming from the carrier ... that means we could potentially be screwed if we buy a phone elsewhere and Rogers does NOT carry it, then according to your note ... we'll never be able to get the phone upgraded to a new OS. That sucks big time ... assuming I understood you correctly
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello yogaboy905

That is correct. There might be another way but the only way I know is getting a sim card from the carrier that has it, and update it that way.

I heard there is some other ways which will be something like rooting as well.
sunster
I'm Here A Lot

Hi Yogaboy905. Your HTC runs with a micro-sim whereas the 1520 runs with a nano-sim so you might actually have to buy a new SIM card at rogers. Regarding the updates, if I'm not mistaken, if you buy your phone with Omega, it should be a factory unlocked version therefore you don't actually need to wait for rogers to push out any updates. Once Nokia/Microsoft makes it available you should be able to download it.