Nokia E5

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Nokia E5

Hi, I just ordered two Nokia E5 phones online from Rogers for my husband and I, as it was the only place I could find to buy them. Rogers doesn't have any prepaid Family Plans, so I'd like to sign up with a different provider that has decent family plans. My question is: will the phones already be unlocked when they arrive at my door, since I paid for them outright?

******* Edit labels ********

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Nokia E5

No. The phones will be locked to Rogers still. Even if you pay the outright price the phone will still be locked. You can by a unlocking code online & unlock it your self. There are many places online which only charge $5 or more for the code.
I'm Here A Lot

It's amazing that all of us in Canada accept this policy. Hopefully, this will change someday. Well, it's certainly been an eye-opener for me, since this is my first experience with cell phones and provider. lol Live and learn, I suppose. Does it vary, depending on model and provider?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Rogers offers unlocking of the device but you need to wait 30 days. They will charge you $50 to unlcok the device. ( i suggest this to anyone NOT to do this because you can get the unlock code for cheaper then that.). Just saying this if you want to spend $50 & wait 30 days for Rogers to unlock it lol.

I'm Here A Lot

Excellent. Thank you very much for all your help. 🙂 And I think we'll follow your advice and not wait 30 days and have Rogers unlock it for $50. lol One last question for you, since you seem to be very knowledegable about unlocking. Will I be able to download and apply firmware updates for the devices from Nokia's site? Or is it branded to Rogers?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

You are welcome :-). You need to wait until Rogers releases updates for the phone. The phone is still branded to Rogers even if you unlock it. The unlocking only unlocks the phone so you are able to use it with carriers that use sim cards and are compatible with the radio frequency the phone has.
I'm Here A Lot

As long as I can still update firmware after unlocking, it's all good. And fortunately, the Nokia E5 works with both GSM and HSPA bands. You've helped tremendously. 🙂 Cheers!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

No your Nokia E5 could have been locked to Rogers network while you are reciving it. If you wish to swap the SIM card you need to unlock it. You can get it unlocked using unlock code.

**Edited for content**

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation