cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia C3 gmail via wifi

streetcore
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi,

I just bought a Rogers brand Nokia C3, but I have not activated it yet. The main reason I bought it is because it has wifi, but I would like to know if I will be able to access my gmail account and browse other sites online when I'm at a wifi hotspot. I don't need mobile browsing very often and wifi would suit my needs most of the time, however, when that's not available I would buy daily or weekly mobile browsing passes.

I've been reading about all kinds of restrictions when it comes to accessing the web with prepaid phones, so I just want to know exactly what to expect before I activate this phone.

Thanks.

***edited labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Nokia C3 gmail via wifi

Melly
I Plan to Stick Around

You should be fine connecting to the internet without any mobile browsing plan. I, myself, read a lot of connectivity issues regardnig this device but apparently there was an OS update released from the Nokia website that was supposed to include performance and usability improvements.

Pop an active sim card in and test it out, that's the only way you'll find out. So long as you don't go over 15 min of talking on the phone (and within the 15 days from date of purchase), you're still able to get a refund or exchange if anything

streetcore
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I don't have an active sim card, so I can't test it out. I called Rogers as well to ask about this, but didn't get a very good answer. The guy really didn't seem to know much and after asking me if it's a smart phone or not (how am I supposed to know?), he put's me on hold for quite awhile. When he eventually comes back he says something like "I think it should work".

What if I activate the phone and it doesn't work like I want it to? Can I still return it and get a refund of any activation fees?

Thanks again.

Melly
I Plan to Stick Around

I wish I could give you a 100% guarantee that it will work however I've only tested the device with my own sim card which has a data plan so I was not able to confirm that it will work without one.

Chances are, if you go into a store to set yourself up with a plan, the rep should make sure everything on the device works before you leave the store. Although you'll have to wait until you get home to test out the wi-fi to really make sure that it works.

Either way, whether you're planning to activate the phone with a postpaid or a prepaid plan, so long as you're under 30 min of talktime on the phone and within the 15 days from the date of purchase, you're most definitely able to refund it.

streetcore
I Plan to Stick Around

I've activated the phone and gmail does indeed work very well with both wifi and the mobile browsing add-on. I've also added my gmail account to Nokia Mail and I like interface much better than using Opera Mini.

However, I use mulitiple email addresses in gmail (personal, business, etc), but when sending or replying with Nokia Mail it always uses the standard gmail address, regardless of which address the message was sent to. I've even set my business address as the default in the main gmail for the web settings, but when using Nokia Mail it still uses the standard gmail address instead.

Gmail in Opera Mini allows me to choose different email addresses to send or reply from, but I prefer the interface of Nokia Mail, which also includes to option to add a signature.

Does anyone know if there is a way to choose different addresses to send or reply from in Nokia mail?

Thanks.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation