cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia C3 - Instant Messaging

jazzamatazz
I've Been Here Awhile

Does anyone have the Nokia C3?

Is there a way to use an IM service (e.g. Yahoo Messenger) via the phones WiFi without incurring Rogers charges?

***edited labels***

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Nokia C3 - Instant Messaging

cmcolombian
I've Been Around

i have the exact same problem, but when i try to log in to windows live messenger it gives me this error and it seems to always be connecting to the edge network, i have unlimited web browsing.

same here - i have the corby plus and it says that it's forbidden (ooooohh!) but i think they took out im and email from the paygo plans if i'm not mistaken.

stevie89
I've Been Here Awhile
Brother has plan, lm on prepaid. I think they want you too get a mobile browsing.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
IM service is subscription based, so it may be trying to connect to a server over the Roger's APN that it normally won't connect to over a public Wi-Fi Connection. If you use it over Cellular, your data does not count towards your consumption anyways, so thats the solution,

--
I am NOT a Rogers employee, my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of this website and its affiliates.

ukirocks
I've Been Around

ok..i just got this phone and i bought it to use it for texting msn and yahoo..i went to the IM tryed to sign in on to both and when i tryed every time i would get this  (A temporary service problem. Try again later, (code403)) so like what the hell?! does this phone have a malfunction?!?! i'm pissed! yo like srsly this isnt cool..and the ppl at a roger thin in the mall that i went to recomended this phone when i told them what i wanted the phone for. this is bull**bleep**!

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

theres probably nothing wrong with the phone, the problem you are experiencing is an issue on the network side. call rogers and complain

kls
I've Been Here Awhile

I am getting the same message unfortunately.  I went on the 7 day datapass for $3 (unlimited browsing) hoping I could get on messenger with my phone, but it's not working.

I downloaded Yahoo messenger on my PC and went through the details on the yahoo site to set up my mobile through the messenger on PC first, and thought that would fix the issue, but I still get the 403 message too.  

I'm wondering, can the Nokia C3 get Google Talk?  Only Yahoo and MSN messenger are on it by default but I see that Nokia OVI store offers eBuddy that offers Gtalk (Orkut), is that google talk?  Does anyone know details of eBuddy for the Nokia c3, does Rogers block the use of it?

michaelpetry
I've Been Here Awhile

I have a samsung corby plus and I'm experiencing the exact same problem... so unfreakinbelievible, one of the main reasons why i bought this phone was because i wanted to able to sign in on msn on the go... now i have it and can't use the service

kls
I've Been Here Awhile

There's a video here that tells how to sign up, but the "chat"  option isn't available on the nokia c3 with Rogers from what I can see.  Is that an essential step to getting Instant Messaging to work. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFVDjgf8eDg

I was receiving instant messages as text messages from Yahoo by registering my phone number with yahoo, but I don't think that's what the IM option on the Nokia c3 is meant to work as because I still couldn't log into the IM section of the phone.  I think it's supposed to work as if you have a mini Yahoo messenger on your phone, kind of like what we see the google talk in this video shows as.

kls
I've Been Here Awhile

I've been googling and searching for a solution and the first that comes up is this thread, but no solutions to be found.  I contacted Rogers online and they said it had to do with Yahoo and I'd have to contact them.  I've contacted Yahoo, waiting for a response.  I think it's ridiculous though.  It should be so easy.  Select Yahoo Messenger in the IM category, enter username and password and presto, but no, it couldn't be so easy could it!

What, are the few of us in this thread the only ones having this problem?  Do others easily just log in and it works, or is this a problem for everyone with the Nokia c3 on Rogers Pay as you Go?

Anyone have the step by step protocol to get this working? Would be greatly appreciated and relieve a lot of headaches. Thanks.

It would be nice if someone who actually worked for Rogers jumped in and offered advice instead of leaving customers to fend for themselves.

dhaertel
I've Been Here Awhile

I also have a c3 on pay as you go, I have the 40.00 plan and the nokia messenger will not work for me...error 403 like all the others.

I use ebuddy it works great...but I hate haveing to stay in that app all the time. tryed it on wifi and g and no luck, I would call rogers but I dont think that will solve any problems....still going to call just to raise awarness.

Nimbuzz also works well.....but locked in that app too 😞

Hi all,

For prepaid, Instant Messaging is no longer supported on our regular devices due to a change in our IM platform. It is no longer advertised with our prepaid plans.

We do not have an ETR for any fix. From what I have been told any pre-loaded instant messaging services on such devices are programmed with the incompatible IM platform and will not work. Any 3rd party IM services you load will not go through our platform and should work. Keep in mind some sort of mobile browsing plan is still required for IM to work.

Possible things to try are to completely remove the IM apps and re-install them as well as trying to update them. I hope as a community we can find some workarounds in the meantime we can all share.

In the case of a post paid account error 403 or similar problems are usually caused by improper provisionning on our end or low memory. A battery pull and update can also be attempted.

dhaertel
I've Been Here Awhile

Seems like it is more a case of wanting to charge reg rogers users a fee to use an IM service,

Rogers IM works fine......and it has a user fee......

Juli31
I've Been Around

yup... go to your ovi store... download ebuddy... its the closest to the IM you will get

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 11 in conversation