No sound playing with Rogers HD Box is connected the receiver

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

No sound playing with Rogers HD Box is connected the receiver

Here's the basic setup:

Wall cable is connected the Rogers HD Box.
Rogers HD Box is connected to the receiver via HDMI.

Receiver is connected to the TV via HDMI, and also connected to speakers around the room.

When the Rogers HD Box is directly connected the TV, there are no issues with sound--the TV plays the sound.  However, when connected to the receiver, the picture still displays crisply, but no sound is heard.  This is not an issue with the receiver, because other devices connected to the receiver via HDMI have no issues.

Thank you!

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: No sound playing with Rogers HD Box is connected the receiver

Hmm. it does still sound like something on the receiver end..
As the cable and box work correctly into the tv, they should be working fine.

You have tried swaping cables and inputs, just to make sure its just not that one input on the receiver?  Depending on the receiver, are you able to change the output for that input? (IE: i know on mine, i can change it to component, etc)

It is possible its maybe just some, incompatability?  I know a while back a few of us were trying to help someone with an LG TV and a LG surround sound/bluray player.  For whatever reason, would NOT pass the audio through the blueray, but like you, played fine when into the TV.

I have one of the newer HD PVR models, running through an Onkyo receiver, and it does work perfectly fine, both with the receiver on and with it off in passthrough mode.

I've Been Here Awhile

I checked my TV and receiver for a few things.  Firstly, I found that the HDMI input supports audio return channel (ARC) meaning that I don't need another cable from the TV to back to the receiver to send over the sound.  I then set the HDMI configuration to ARC On (although since it worked with the Xbox with ARC off, I don't think that really did much).  Lastly, I connected the cable using the same port that worked with the Xbox, and still there is no sound.

Is there a difference in the type of signal from the Rogers HD Box and the Xbox 360 that would cause the receiver to fail to process sound from the HD Box?

I'm a Senior Advisor

THings I would check. Same port xbox works fine rogers box does not.. Is the port set to auto detect sound codec? ie Dolby / DTS? Maybe set it to not be automatic or vice versa. Also check to see if for some reason the port is not expecting the audio from the digital input and is listening to the hdmi port..

ARC shouldn't matter as it is there to send sound from the TV to the receiver.
I've Been Here Awhile

I recently got the receiver and am still unfamiliar with it.  However, I did manage to get the sound working after going through the manual again and again.  There is a button called "SIGNAL SEL" that chooses the audio source as either HDMI, C1/O1 and analog.  Setting the audio source to HDMI fixes the problem.  However, the fact that the Xbox 360 worked and the HD Box didn't is still a mystery to me.  Thanks for all the help!

EDIT:  In case anybody runs into the same problem, the receiver model is VSX-522-K.  The manual can be located here.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Glad to hear you got it working Smiley Happy

I've Been Around

hi, I'm experiencing the same problem as described.. also the receiver is a Pioneer vsx-1122.

the signal is set as hdmi but does not work yet.

I called Pioneer for tecnical support so they said there are several calls complaining about Rogers-Nextbox with same propblem and sadly they do not provide service on-site. Finally proposed that on top of the hdmi from nextbox to receiver also connect an optical cable for the audio signal and change the signal set up to digital.

It is like a by-pass solution.

I do not understand why the audio does not go out through the hdmi cable.

At the begining it was working with no issues then for no reason, aparently, it did not work as expected.

Does anyone know what's wrong

Thanks for your help

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It works through my receiver.. so its still gotta be an issue between select receivers and the nexboxes Smiley Sad

Do you get audio through the HDMI when going straight to the TV?

I know i had an issue with the HDMI cable they provided, have you tried it with another cable?

I've Been Around

Thank you. I have a similar receiver with the same remote control and I had the same issue. And it did fix it. So thank you. I had not tv for 2 days. Now it's all working etc.
I've Been Around

As an addition to your post. Lg TV
On my tv there is an INPUT button that controls the DVD, computer etc. I set my input to the HDMI that goes to tv and sound returned.
Thanks