No sound on certain channels

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

No sound on certain channels

I have an 8300 PVR with a Samsung HD TV and Samsung Audio receiver.  When I turn on all of the units (using Master Power) everything is fine except there is no sound on certain channels.  These channels are the 720 X 480 ones.  If I turn off only the TV while on one of these channels and then turn the TV on again everything works.  This is a recent development.  Suggestions please????

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: No sound on certain channels

Probably need a bit more info.

How is everything connected.?  What out of the rogers box, and into what else (eg: optical audio to receiver and component to tv) those sorts of things.  ANd what type of cables. (rca, hdmi, optical, etc)

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you very much for your reply and I'm sorry that I have taken so long to respond.  Somehow I missed your posting.

I am using HDMI cables from the set top to the receiver and from the receiver to the TV.  I have no optical cables.  The HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV is 12 ft. long -  it's the only unusual thing I can think of in this configuration.

Thanks again.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi all. Quick question if I may. I have 3 TV's - one is on a set top box (Cisco HD, not Nextbox) it works fine and the other two are smaller and are direct connected to cable without a digital adapter. I have a splitter in the basement supplied by Rogers such that the connection to each TV is separate. If it matters, I also have Rogers home phone and internet.

The issue is, that on the two TV's connected direct to cable, channel 3 (Global) has no sound. Yep, I've turned the volume all the way up. I even tried getting a DA from Rogers but after two phone calls to get it authorized and 24 hours of no TV I gave up on it.

Anyone have any ideas why just one channel would have no sound?

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If its working on ALL the other TVs.. with or without the adapter.. i would still have to say, its some signal related.. JUST to that outlet.

Possibly, the one run off the splitter is bad.. or just the one outlet on the splitter itself.
Odd that its just the one channel tho.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Gd. I think I know what the issue is, and it's not just the one channel, BTW, it is also channel 13 (the Guide) that has no sound. I think the issue is splitter related. I have home phone, TV, and HS internet from Rogers. In my basement where the cable enters the house, there is a 3-way splitter. Two 7 dB and one 3.5 dB outputs.

The first 7dB goes directly to my home phone line. The last (3.5 dB) goes directly to my high speed internet. The second 7 dB outlet goes to a two way splitter (provided by me), one side of which goes directly to my downstairs HD TV with an HD set top box. There are no issues with any of first two outputs. The second side of the two-way (non-powered) splitter goes to a 3-way powered splitter which only uses two outlets, each going directly to the back of a small TV. So, I have 3 TV's altogether, two of which have the same sound issues on two channels. Now, here's my question:

My Rogers account says that my TV package includes 3 outlets. To me, that means that I should have a 5-way splitter. One for the home phone, one for HS internet, and 3 for TV's. Shouldn't I? Can I call Rogers and request such a splitter?

Thanks again.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes and no.. sometimes its in HOW/WHERE its split.. and that might make the difference.

Almost all splitters, will recuce the signal strength split between them.. do it enough, and its not strong enough, etc.
It quite possibly, could be that the one provided by YOU could be the problem.. (if its not a frequency high enough one, as there are different ones, etc).

All in all, yes, you should be allowed 3 tv's and the 2 outlets for the phone and internet.

it may just come down to HOW its organised.

MINE is as follows. (all supplied by rogers)
Line to house.  2 way splitter.
One line, to another 2 way, with then the home phone and internet on it.  Signal strength on the internet pretty much bang on.
Other line.. goes to a 3 way BOSTER (with a moca adapter there to segregate it, and make a local network for the whole home pvr).  Reason for the boster being my one room upstairs, has bad cabling, and required the bost to get it strong enough up there.. its on the higher output for the splitter.

All in all, might be worth your time to get a tech OUT.. they can re-do it, hopefully correctly.
If you do get a tech out.. REMOVE your own splitter.
If the problem was 'introduced' by you adding your own stuff.. they can charge for the visit Smiley Sad  If anything, just re connect the others, and leave the one line free, and say you want that one added.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@BluPuk wrote:

there is a 3-way splitter. Two 7 dB and one 3.5 dB outputs.

The first 7dB goes directly to my home phone line. The last (3.5 dB) goes directly to my high speed internet. The second 7 dB outlet goes to a two way splitter (provided by me), one side of which goes directly to my downstairs HD TV with an HD set top box. There are no issues with any of first two outputs. The second side of the two-way (non-powered) splitter goes to a 3-way powered splitter which only uses two outlets, each going directly to the back of a small TV. So, I have 3 TV's altogether, two of which have the same sound issues on two channels. Now, here's my question:

My Rogers account says that my TV package includes 3 outlets. To me, that means that I should have a 5-way splitter. One for the home phone, one for HS internet, and 3 for TV's. Shouldn't I? Can I call Rogers and request such a splitter?

Thanks again.

First of all, you should be splitting the 3.5 dB leg of the first splitter, not one of the 7 dB legs. As for the number of "outlets" authorized by Rogers, I thought that applied to TV's, not your Internet, because that's a separate charge. If you have a wifi router, would everyone logging into it count as another outlet? I don't think so. In any case, make sure the splitter you added is a proper bi-directional one. Rogers will replace any questionable splitters with good ones, no charge. BTW, all splitters are merely a combination of 2-way splitters. A 5-way splitter is made up of four 2-way splitters inside, giving three 7 dB outlets and two 14 dB outlets. Maybe you need a booster in there.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario