cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No "Copy to VCR" with HD8342

Gypsy
I'm Here A Lot

Is anybody else ticked off that with the Explorer 8342 the "Copy to VCR" option no longer exists!! 

Is Rogers listening???

For me that was one of the main reasons I got a PVR was to copy TV shows and bring to my cottage on the weekend.  Now I have to record and can't change the channel.   Before getting my PVR back in September I had a technician at my house for another issue and he saw my VCR set-up and tube TV and laughed.  He said "you need a PVR so you can tape shows while watching another channel".  I took his advice bought a new HD TV, got a HD PVR, and lo and behold  no "copy to VCR".  Wow, really disappointing.  Hmm, maybe it's time to switch to Bell. 

***Edited labels***

9 REPLIES 9

Re: No "Copy to VCR" with HD8342

Hooter
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Rogers does listen - just not very well!

digitalterry
I Plan to Stick Around

These kinds of issues are difficult to say really belong to Rogers.  The box is from Cisco and they develop the software that goes on it.  We can complain to Rogers and Cisco but only Cisco can change it.  😞

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
I think the software is third party SARA software. But I think the real issue here is worries of copy protection and the fact that they don't even make vhs tapes anymore so why put the effort into making software to support something that is not commonly available.

digitalterry
I Plan to Stick Around

Chris - you can use the "Copy to VCR" for copy to DVD recorders so VHS going away doesn't really matter.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
@digitalterry true, but I think DVD recorders came out to replaces VHS as did PVR's.. One could argue why copy to a dvd when you already have it saved on a pvr..

I know I know.. There are many reasons why someone would want to back someting up on vhs/dvd/memory stick etc... I fully understand.. But tv studios don't want you to be able to do that. Rogers would rather you just use the pvr or ROD.

I'm just guessing why they would remove the feature.. My guess is it's a combination of studios not wanting it, rogers not wanting to pay for the software, rogers wanting you to just use the pvr and ROD, not a critical mass of people using the feature..

I'm on your side. If you buy something with a feature some company should not be allowed to take that feature away by updating software.. Sadly there are no laws enforcing such... Maybe one day as more and more devices get their features from software vs hardware... It's never been a problem in the past because devices weren't connected to the net and thus couldn't be updated without the customer buying a new version or doing the process manually..

phyljohn
I've Been Here Awhile

I discovered that there is no "Copy to VCR" option with the Explorer 8642HD because none is needed! Like others, I found that option missing in the Option menu items. I phoned Technical Assistance and they couldn't explain why it wasn't available. The person I talked to even checked with someone else.

To make a long story short I played a recorded program on the 8642HD and started recording on my DVD recorder anyway. The program was recorded on the DVD. Evidently the outputs on the 8642HD are activated any time a recorded program is played back. As before, one cannot record to VCR/DVDR a program that has not been previously recorded on the box. I have just made this discovery and copied only one program. I can't tell whether it was or wasn't copy protected. I suspect it wasn't copy-protected and that copying wouldn't work on a copy-protected program.

What disappoints me is that Technical Assistance didn't know about this. I blame Rogers for not ensuring their Technical Assistance personnel are kept up-to-date with recent technological changes. Rogers should also modify its "How to" video on this subject on its web site.

phyljohn
I've Been Here Awhile

Correction to my previous post.

In my previous post I said that only pre-recorded programs could be exported to a VCR/DVDR from an 8642HD. No so. On further testing I find that programs currently being viewed directly from the cable can be simultaneously exported and recorded on a VCR/DVDR. I don't know if that's a new feature of the 8642HD compared to the 8300HD or whether it's a change in the Rogers software. Whatever the reason it's a step in the right direction.

wjian9
I've Been Around

Hi Phyljohn,

So you viewed directly using HD TV HDMI connection, but what connection do you use for VCR/DVDR?  Also, do you know if you can record to HD DVD?

Thanks.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
there IS no commercial HD recorder for DVD technology. it would be SD.

there is a plug on all the pvr;s called VCR Out. this should be the one you connect to

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 in conversation