No longer supporting some Digital boxes.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No longer supporting some Digital boxes.

Reading some from facebook and other sources...

APPEARS (was confirmed by a rogers rep on FB), that some of the older digital boxes, may not longer be supported.

WHICH digital boxes.. i am not sure of.. (i am trying to obtain a list as we speak)

People effected (who have a model effected) are to be mailed a notice.

I am guessing there will be a cutoff, where these will not work anymore. 

Now, rental people, shouldnt be that much of an issue.. at least can swap... but people who have PURCHASED a box Smiley Sad

(I PRAY, its only stuff OLDER than the 8300... the 1800 series SD stuff.. the 3250 i think it was old HD boxes, etc.)

***Edited labels***

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: No longer supporting some Digital boxes.

This is why I absolutely regret buying a box. Have a very old box and I cannot get the Weather Channel on it . Wish you could at least trade it in for perhaps $50 off another box 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. its one of the FEW reasons that i rent vs buy..

That IF something like this is pulled.. i am not stuck with old tech.
If a new box comes out tomorrow, i can just swap my older one for a newer one.

Heck, if they kept breaking, i could swap them every week.

Though, i understand, in the LONG run, i will likely be paying more..  One of those you get it either way you go Smiley Tongue

Still trying to get info on WHAT boxes effected... (and wonder if this may lead into a NEW generation of boxes.. to support the newest need to get rid of the OLDEST ones not compatable?)

I'm a Senior Advisor

Quick question...but what exactly does Rogers have to support with these boxes?

A digital signal is a digital signal....1s and 0s. If the box decodes it, what issue does Rogers have? Unless it is trying to increase revenue, but Rogers would NEVER do something sneaky like that........

The only thing that might affect Rogers is the older version of SARA...but its not like they've been updating that software anyway...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They could be chaning HOW the digital decoding is done..  Like how you cant just put ANY box on.. it needs to be authorized, etc to the account, an has to be able to decode the signal (cant use a 3rd party brand, etc).

It could be, that they are possibly CHANING how/what method for decoding the signals (or that they are being broadcast in).. and the older boxes may not support it?

Or could just be a money grab.. Smiley Tongue  Really, i dont know.

I am just passing on information that i have found.  Dont shoot the messenger Smiley Happy

I'm a Reliable Contributor

The older boxes are too slow on the network... the same way as they've upgraded to the Docsis 3.0 format... some of the older boxes have MUCH slower processors, and MUCH MUCH less RAM... and cannot keep up with the newer QAM's, and the amount of information needed for ROD.  ROD is the biggest game changer nowadays... more movies, more HD, more people using it.... the old boxes just can't keep up.

I think they're phasing out the old SA3000, and possibly the 3200, and 3250 model of boxes... I think they've already pulled all the super old SA2000 boxes out of the field as they couldn't work even on the regular network, much less the newer network.

I don't think its a matter of these boxes won't work, I think they will... however they will cause more problems than anything, such as ROD not working, slowness, etc... and Rogers probably just doesn't want to deal with the complaints they will receive.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Well, if existing customer-owned boxes stop working, those customers will be looking at other providers.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Well, if existing customer-owned boxes stop working, those customers will be looking at other providers.

And i am sure that will be the case for some.

That is the ONE problem with OWNING a box overall.. that you loose that return-ability on it, like a rental, if things are no longer supported.

I have seen the same sorts of things happen with satelite..

Unfortunately, you need a box now with ALL providers (cable, satalite, fibe, etc).. so would be looking at buying new boxes there anyway as well Smiley Sad

I Plan to Stick Around

Another alternative is to switch to local ATSC-HDTV...hi-def as well.

Of course, that would only be a handful of channels and that may only work in areas that receive those signals, such as major cities or cities close to the US border.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@vim wrote:

Another alternative is to switch to local ATSC-HDTV...hi-def as well.

Of course, that would only be a handful of channels and that may only work in areas that receive those signals, such as major cities or cities close to the US border.

That is one thing that is always a good alternative (that combined with web streaming, etc).
Its one of the things that the 'cut the cable' groups push as well.

But as you said, it is only good for SOME people.
Were i live, people can only get 1, sometimes 2 OTA signals decently... so not really a viable solution here Smiley Sad