No Service Books - Unable to access internet through WIFI

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

No Service Books - Unable to access internet through WIFI

Hello,

When I click on the Browser Icon (only available by holding down thy BB Button) I get  the following error message "Your Device does not currently have any Browser Configuration Service Book Enteries. Please contact your service provider to enable the Browser on your device".  Therefore I cannot access the Internet through my WIFI connection at home.  I do not have a data plan. I have upgraded the OS to Version 6 (v6.0.0.666).  The Technical Support person I spoke to on Friday tried his best to troubleshoot with me however was unsuccessfuly in  resolving this issue.

This device was my previous Corporate Blackberry which was connected to a BES and had a Voice & Data Plan.  I had to "wipe" my device by December 31, 2011 as per instructions from IT because of the switch to another carrier.  I was allowed to keep the Blackberry for my personal use.  The Browser Icon was on my Home Screen while connected to the BES and when my company's account with Rogers was Active.

Did the "wipe" cause me to lose the Service Books and how do I get them back?

Thanks,

PF

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: No Service Books - Unable to access internet through WIFI

In order to get everything back you need to do a reload the software back into the phone. Doing this should bring back all the settings the phone had from the start.

The following steps assume that you already have the operating system installed to your computer. If you do not, please download and install the OS to your computer to ensure that you are installing a clean version to your phone. To download the OS, go to your carrier's download site, available here: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp.

1.) Before you do anything, back up your BlackBerry device. Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and select Backup and Restore. On the next screen select Backup and perform a full backup of your device data. Note where the backup file is located (usually in the Documents folder). Close the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and leave your device plugged in.
2.) Open Windows Explorer and go to the following folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\ and open the Loader.exe file. In Vista 64-bit computers, the file is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader. Depending on your computer's settings, you may need to show hidden folders (under File > Options for Windows XP or Organize > Folder and Search Options in Windows Vista).
3.) After the device configuration has been retrieved, you will be on the Device Application Selection page. You may scroll through the list to ensure all the applications you want are selected. You can also de-select any applications you don't use to save space. Click Next.
4.) On the next page, click on the Advanced button. Ensure that both boxes (Delete all application data and Delete all currently installed applications) are checked. Click Next.
4.) Proceed with the OS reinstall. Note that this process may take 10-30 minutes (usually ~10 minutes). Do not disconnect the device.
6.) Once the process is complete, re-open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Select Backup and Restore and open the Restore application. Select the file to restore (Backup-(Year-Month-Day).ipd) and click open. Follow the steps to restore your device.
7.) Re-enable your device connection by going to Manage Connections and turn on your Mobile Network. Re-download any missing applications and re-connect to any BlueTooth devices and you're done.

That's it. You should now be back up and running. Note that this process will delete all your third party applications, hence why you need to redownload any missing applications. I also recommend pulling your battery out for 15-30 seconds after this process is complete to ensure the device is running smooth.

Also do me a fav. Go into Options > Device > Device And Status Information & type buyr. ( buyr means  Buyers Remorse.) It will show you Data usages , Voice usage & IT Policy. Tell me if the IT policy is Disabled.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

you do not have a data plan there for you will not get the service books back. no data = no surfing the web any more.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Pauly is right. IF you do not have a data plan then you will not get them back. If you have a data plan then you just need to reload the software.

I have had this issue happen to me even tho i had data on my account.
I'm Here A Lot

Hello,

Thank you both for your reply. What would have caused me to lose these Service Books? 

Meowmix - The IT policy on my Blackberry is Enabled.

My husband is using a unlocked Bell Blackberry with his Rogers SIM and he too does not have a data plan however he is able to access the Internet through WIFI.  The only difference is that his Blackberry was never connected to a BES.  That's why I think the fact that my Blackberry was connected to a BES and I did the wipe caused me to lose the Service Books.  Am I correct?

I will try the software reload and hope that it works.

Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

another thing to remember, not all blackberries are created equal,  different cariers load different firmware and service books on them buy default.   the one may have a wifi service book installed by default allowing you to surf the net with wifi only and no data plan, where the other ones may need you to subscribe to a data plan to allow wifi to surf. 

another thing, if yours does not surf wifi after a wipe, you can see if it has hotspot browser and turn on in the settings menu, sometimes tis there but not enabled.  but there so many possibilities not all answers will apply to everyones situation.  but yeah if someone had a data plan and gave me the phone and i dont, the wifi would work for me untill i do a wipe, its not hard to understand, the service book was still in place.  but ya lots of the times the phones are getting smarter or maybe the carriers are gettign smarter too.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

You see this is your problem as well. If the IT Policy is still on, its blocking it. This exact thing happened to me when i bought a used 9700 bold from a cellphone store. I never knew it back then but it was a Virgin Mobile employees phone that was a IT phone from them. When i asked the owner of the store how to take it out they tried for a good day but never could fix it. If you look on Google it will show you the ONLY way to take the IT Policy to be disabled is to reload the software back into the phone. I added the Rogers software & it worked perfectly.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Meowmix is correct about reloading the OS.  As long as that IT policy is in place, your Wi-Fi won't work and there may be other features disabled as well.  Remove it if you don't need it.

Here's the article from RIM showing you how to do it.  You'll probably use method #4:

www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB14202

I hope that helps you.  🙂

I'm Here A Lot

I tried the software reload however that didn't do it....I still had no browser icon.  I reset the factory settings and it worked.  I am FINALLY able to use my BB to access the internet through wifi.

Thanks Everyone!!!

Order Now!
UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cerrone Live
LIVE: Saturday, January 18th 10:00 PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of January 16th

He's back! Irish superstar Conor McGregor makes his return to the Octagon on January 18, and he's kicking off 2020 with a welterweight showdown against the man with the most wins in UFC history, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. Returning to action for the first time since October 2018 in the main event of UFC 246, the two-division champion from Dublin known as "The Notorious" one wants to make a statement against Albuquerque action hero Cerrone, who has picked up five post-fight performance bonuses in his last five bouts.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation