No LTE under Network Mode

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BigJug
I'm a Reliable Contributor

No LTE under Network Mode

Hey guys, haven't been in the forums for a while, and am looking for some help.  I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I believe was locked to Wind Mobile.  I had the phone unlocked and am now using it with Rogers.

Everything went fine, and phone works very well. My only gripe right now is that under Network Mode, there is no LTE setting, I only have 3 options:

WCDMA/GSM (auto connect)

WCDMA ONLY

GSM ONLY

Now I AM using an LTE sim card, and I've entered the service menu and chose the Automatic setting which actually gives me LTE up on the top bar, but whenever my phone resets, it goes back to 3G.  Ive seen pictures of other S4's which have 4 options under Network Modes and want to know if I can somehow activate the LTE setting there also, instead of having to do it through the service menu.

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: No LTE under Network Mode

Hello BigJug

From what i know Wind devices can't access Rogers LTE networks unless they have the proper frequencies.  U sure u were seeing the LTE status on the bar on the top and getting LTE service? Soemtimes with foreign device it will show it for a second or some sort but then not work as its not connecting to it.  

Also the APN settings on the S4, are the LTE APN settings? 

BigJug

You lost me with the APN settings, sorry.... not fully familiar with the cell phone world of smart phones!

But yes, when I access the service menu (*#2263#) I choose the first setting which is Automatic, and exit out.  Within a few seconds I get LTE showing on the top bar, and it stays there until the phone resets for whatever reason, where it then goes back to 3G, and I repeat the process.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting LTE speeds, a speed test shows 40Mbs down, 20Mbs up... pretty fast imo.

The exact model of my phone is the m919v if that helps.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello BigJug

Those speeds are for 4G not LTE. I checked online and it seems many rooted their devices from Wind and added a custom ROM which enables LTE just for a short period of time.

The software on the device seems to be blocking the LTE service thus why it's not letting you use LTE and restarting the device.

I checked also with Wind and they told me that Wind blocks other carriers to use LTE on the device that runs the Wind software.

Your only option I see if to root the device and add a custom ROM which will enable it for u. That is risky if u don't know what u are doing. So Google it before u do it
BigJug

Thanks Meowmix,

but just to clairify, the phone doesn't reboot on its own or anything... only when I'm doing a reboot or a major update calls for a reboot will it then actually reboot.  Once its showing LTE, it will stay on LTE pretty much all the time.

Also, there is no branding software on this phone, so what "wind software" is actually on it that could be blocking LTE.  As far as I know all bands are present, and the M919V version doesn't actually hide any of these, especially once the phone has been unlocked.  If its "software" thats blocking it, can the software not be removed/hacked/overridden to overcome that issue?

If it was 4G, why wouldn't it just say 4G? My wife is using the phone, so I don't know for sure if 4G ever actually shows up.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello BigJug

You can post on XDA and see what others can say to u or on RedFlagDeals and see. Unfortunately as i see it and read on the Internet that the software is locked to wind. If u unlock a device, it just unlocks the device to be used on another carrier. The software on the device is running the software the carrier added when u go it. Since it was a wind device, its running the wind software. Unfortunately there is no way remove or hack it unless u root ur device and add a custom ROM as i said above.

It won't necessarily show 4G if speeds are on the. It can show LTE but still run 4G speeds. It happens alot.

As i said ur best option would be going on XDA or RedFlagDeals and posting there to see what u can do
nnjetha
I Plan to Stick Around

See this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s6/help/sm-g920w8-option-to-connect-to-lte-t3181839/post62425...

Issue with Wind phones.  I have to do this now as I'm running into the same issue.