cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 32GB version for Canada (Galaxy S4)

Canuck604
I Plan to Stick Around

Samsung Canada sent out a tweet earlier today confirming that Canada would not be receiving the 32GB version of the S4.

Was sad to see that and am glad I didn't cancel my order in hopes of waiting for it. Is this a Samsung decision or a Carrier decision?

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: No 32GB version for Canada (Galaxy S4)

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Canuck604

Its both all carriers and Samsung Canada. It seems devices with SD cards will ONLY be getting a 16GB model. Remember the S3 32GB never sold as much and was discontinued yet the S3 16GB is still available. It seems that Canadians are only buying the 16GB model as it was a SD card slot.

Its a good move but bad as well

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Canuck604

Its both all carriers and Samsung Canada. It seems devices with SD cards will ONLY be getting a 16GB model. Remember the S3 32GB never sold as much and was discontinued yet the S3 16GB is still available. It seems that Canadians are only buying the 16GB model as it was a SD card slot.

Its a good move but bad as well

Barrysmylie
I've Been Here Awhile

The major U.S. carriers are announcing the 32GB S4.  Will Rogers be soon?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Berrysmylie

There is a thread about this already.. No Canada will NOT be getting the 32GB model.

Rob708
I've Been Around
Guess that means there's ZERO chance we'll see the 64gb model? 16gb seems a bit pathetic these days...

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Rob708

Agreed BUT when the device cames with a SD card slot, it should not matter. Yes apps take space BUt you have 9.5GB for apps and music, photos, videos and data can be stored on the SD card. The HTC One comes with 32GB as it does not have a SD card slot.

voxx23
I've Been Around

And regardless of sd card capacity, some apps will ony install to the main system memory. Which, if i remember correctly, after OS , is 9.5gb to the user.. Which is not much at all. Pretty Sure that if a 32gb S4 were available, it would sell here easily. But here in canada, we are used to geting less choice than anywhere else in the world, so why should this be any different.

AnonymousUser
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Actually, it wouldn't sell here.  The reason why carriers in Canada did not pickup the 32GB S4 is because the 32GB S3 sold poorly in comparison to the 16GB because of the inclusion of an SD slot. The few people on here looking for one aren't enough to warrant the 32GB version being in the line up.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello voxx23

Like i said before a few posts up & AnonymousUser said. The 32GB S3 did not sell that well at all so they stopped selling it. The 16GB tho sold pretty well. Reason why because of the SD card storage & the $50 more you had to pay. Many would get a SD card for $20 if needed. I got a 64GB SanDisk for $59 a few weeks ago actually.

None the less that yes apps are only for internal memory & yes the S4 comes with 9.5GB but i have over 36 apps & i still have 6.2GB left on my S4. Music / Videos / Pictures & Documents are stored on my SD card & Dropbox.

gfdfasdfasfsfsa
I've Been Here Awhile

is it possible to link this tweet? i can't seem to find it...
i've been waiting since december to switch from my old iphone to an android system... 
the fact that there would be no more than a 16gb version of the s4 changes everything! Smiley Sad

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello gfdfasdfasfsfsa

They have said it on their Samsung Mobile Canada Facebook page when people are asking. Here are the responses.

"Samsung Mobile Canada Hi Mathieu! At the moment, only the 16GB version is available in Canada. Take care!"

"Samsung Mobile Canada Hi Paul! Nothing to report at the moment about the 32GB version of the GALAXY S4 coming to Canada. We'll let you know if that changes!"

Samsung Mobile Canada Hi Sean! Unfortunately, we don't have news about the 64GB version of the GALAXY S4 coming to Canada at the moment. We'll be sure to let you know if that changes! Enjoy your day!

https://www.facebook.com/samsungmobilecanada?ref=ts&fref=ts&filter=2

Canuck604
I Plan to Stick Around

cyberguy
I've Been Here Awhile

Dumb move for Samsung Canada then.

Takes me a couple hours to drive across the U.S. border, buy a 32GB S4 from AT&T, bring it back here, unlock it and have a 32GB Phone in Canada.

And I will be paying considerably less than the $700 that carriers up here are charging for the 16gb I337M (yes, I am looking at you Rogers!).

It is a lose-lose for both Samsung Canada and carriers like Rogers as they lose the sale.

is anybody wondering why Samsung is not distributing these in Canada? Because if we are paying them $700 for the bottom-end version and they know they won't get any sales for a 32GB version that costs $800. Does any Canadian ever wonder why things cost almost double here than they do in the U.S.? Because Manufacturers know we will pay it!

I won't be paying Samsung Canada, Rogers, Bell or Telus $700 for a phone when I can get an up-level verion of the same phone across the border for even less money. I'm not stupid.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello cyberguy

Not really a bad move at all. The S3 32GB barely even sold. The S3 16GB is still selling meanwhile Rogers / Bell & Telys stopped selling the S3 32GB months ago. So why have a model that barely sells exactly? Why waste the money having that device sitting on a shelve & collection dust? You never thought of that did you. The 16GB sold because you are able to add a 16/32/64GB memory card so the choice for the 32GB model was never needed. This has been said by many users / customers as well. Yes that is more memory if you get the 32GB but customers want to pay less with less memory. Remmeber not everyone is tech savvy & want more memory. That is why there have a SD card slot if you want more memory.

Actually it has NOTHING to do with the price like you claim. The price is a price but customer would pay for it. The problem is not many bought the S3 32GB so S4 32GB model to Canada as the 16GB model is fine. If you really are looking for more memory, go pay $70 & get a 64GB SD card.

If you want, like you said go across the boarder & get the S4 32GB from their. Get it unlocked & use it!.. Not everyone wants the same as you do.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 in conversation