Nexus 7 LTE - Should I expect LTE or 4G symbol beside the signal bars?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Nexus 7 LTE - Should I expect LTE or 4G symbol beside the signal bars?

I enjoy my new Nexus 7 LTE very much. But one thing bothers me. I have a Rogers LTE sim card in the tablet but I always see 4G symbol beside the signal bars instead of LTE. Actually I only see LTE symbol since day one I put in the sim. Even at the same time my note 3 can have full bars of LTE signal, the tablet only shows 4G. The note 3 tested 100Mbps down on the speedtest.net but the Nexus 7 only has 50Mbps down when the 4G symbol is on. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or something is wrong with my tablet?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: Nexus 7 LTE - Should I expect LTE or 4G symbol beside the signal bars?

You're on LTE with the Nexus 7, the fact that you're getting 50Mbps downstream on the Nexus 7 tells you you're on LTE.

4G = LTE on the Nexus 7.

I'm Here A Lot

Do you mean the LTE displayed as 4G symbol on the nexus 7 LTE?

I'm a Senior Contributor

The Nexus displays 4G when connected to an LTE network.
I'm Here A Lot

Just done a test and found something very interesting, just like to report back.

I picked a spot where has very good LTE signal.  

First I tested the speed on my Note3 and N7 with its own SIMs. My note3 showed LTE symbol and speed around 80Mbps. The N7 shows 4G symbol and speed around 70Mbps which is in the ballpark with Note3.

Then I switched the SIMs. The note3 still showed LTE symbol with N7 SIM in it. N7 showed 4G with the Note3 SIM in it. The speed test was about same as the first test.

My conclusion is that there is something in N7 doesn't like the Rogers network so the tablet always shows 4G even it is actually connected on LTE network and functioning on LTE speed.

I'm a Senior Contributor

deham, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Nexus 7.

What you need to understand is that in North America they decided to market HSPA+ as 4G, which in turn means all carrier phones shows 4G when connected to HSPA+, and LTE when connected to LTE. However, since the Nexus is a global product, which is not influenced by the carrier, it shows a 4G symbol when connected to LTE, which is correct.  LTE = 4G, HSPA+ != 4G, but pointless marketing fluff caused this confusion.

Again, nothing wrong with the Nexus, so don't bother wasting your time on this anymore, your Nexus is running exactly as expected.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for help me understand this. The reason why ask N7 LTE users on Rogers network and did my own test is because folks in US have confirmed that their N7 LTE show LTE symbol when connect to their carriers in US. Same as you, I don't think N7 sold in Canada are different from units sold in US so there must be something going on between the tablet and the Rogers network. It makes the tablet thinks it isn't connected with "real" LTE network even though the test shows the speed is in range of LTE performence.