Nexus 6P Broken Glass - Due to Cold?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grav
I'm Here A Lot

Nexus 6P Broken Glass - Due to Cold?

Got my phone yesterday, was loving it, picked it up this morning off my desk and to my surprise the back glass has shattered completely spontaneously... 

http://imgur.com/KtRdLuf

Called the store, they said they wouldn’t allow me to return it because it’s a hardware issue and I should contact Huawei. Called Huawei and they said they don’t do support for Canada, only the USA… Called Rogers retentions, because they are the only ones who ever help me, and they said just bring back the phone to the store, it’s obviously defective. Just go talk to the manger.

Went to the store, St Laurent Mall in Ottawa, employee brings the phone to the back and the manager comes out, gives me the phone back and tell me she can’t allow the return because I damaged it, very accusatory, no questions asked, just a big fat NO. I’m taken aback by her attitude, I talk to her and tell her, look at the phone, there is zero damage on it, its brand new, the glass just shattered itself… She said she would look into it and told me to come back Monday… Very unpleasant experience, I would avoid that store at all costs.

Anyways, looked online, it’s been happening all over the place apparently.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/3rwc6p/nexus_6p_back_glass_window_has_just_spontaneously/

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/11/07/some-nexus-6p-owners-are-reporting-spontaneously-broken-rear...

So be aware, it is an issue, Rogers is not dealing with the issue yet and Huawei is not dealing with Canadian support claims.

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
RogersDarrell
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Nexus 6P Broken Glass - Due to Cold?

UPDATE

A small portion of Huawei Nexus 6P customers have reported that the rear glass panel of their device has cracked spontaneously.  Note: rear glass panel refers to the black glass part, on the top rear side of the device.

We are currently working with Huawei to determine the root cause of these claims, and the process below has been put in place to service affected devices.

If the rear glass panel of your Nexus 6P has cracked and there are no other signs of physical damage, please proceed with one of the following two solutions:

1. If within the DOA period (within first 15 days of purchase):
      • If the device was purchased from a store, you should return to the point of purchase for a DOA replacement
      • If the you purchased from Rogers directly (Rogers.com or through call centre), let us know and we can process a DOA swap.

1. If you are outside of the DOA period (after the first 15 days of purchase):

Please locate a Rogers store that supports the In-Warranty Repair Program to have the unit sent to the repair facility.

• To find an eligible store; visit the Store Locator here.  (Wireless – Device Tune-Up/Repair)
      • There may be Out of Warranty costs associated if other physical damage is detected.
      • The final decision will be provided by the repair facility based on inspection.

Note: Devices with other signs of physical damage such as a cracked front screen, water damage or other signs of tampering or abuse will not qualify.

RogersDarrell

View solution in original post

All Replies
zer0
I've Been Here Awhile

I was just reading about this issue today.

"a possible reason for this is how glass expands as it heats up and shrink as it cools. Placing the 6P on a colder surface (such as a granite or marble countertop) could cause the camera glass, otherwise being referred to as the phone’s “visor,” to cool down and shrink too quickly."

http://9to5google.com/2015/11/07/nexus-6ps-visor-back-camera-glass-shattering-cracking/

Jk7
I've Been Here Awhile

OK this is crazy! Rogers isn't going to support us with defective units and neither is the manufacturer?? I'm getting mine today and if that's the case hauwei or however it's spelt can have the . things back...

Anyone have any info and dealing with them from Canada? This is crazy!!! Can't believe how painfully stressing a new phone can be. Anyone see any tempered glass protector for the rear visor?maybe that's the best solution

grav
I'm Here A Lot

I've contacted Google Canada and they actually are being very helpful so far, they know about the issue, they have seen the threads and news articles... Not expecting anything from Rogers on this, hoping that Google backs up their Nexus branded phones...

Kdot
I'm Here A Lot

@Jk7

I already ordered my skin from dbrand.  If I knew about this glass issue I would have ordered the glass cover.

Need2fly
I Plan to Stick Around

@grav

Ive been looking on reddit also. But that glass shattering seems to be limited to possibly 3 different cases(including yours)

Are you still under the 15 day mark/talk time to purchase that rogers device protect? Might be too late though

@Saren thanks for the reply.

RogersDarrell
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey everyone!

Thanks for making us aware of this possible defect.  We're investigating with Huawei at this time.

RogersDarrell

jeffkh
I've Been Around

I just bought one 36 hours ago and it has a 6mm crack on the back screen. Just packing it up to take it back to the store. I am expecting either Rogers or the Store or Google to do the right thing here. No reason to believe that they won't. It is obviously a design flaw.
RogersDarrell
Community Manager
Community Manager

UPDATE

A small portion of Huawei Nexus 6P customers have reported that the rear glass panel of their device has cracked spontaneously.  Note: rear glass panel refers to the black glass part, on the top rear side of the device.

We are currently working with Huawei to determine the root cause of these claims, and the process below has been put in place to service affected devices.

If the rear glass panel of your Nexus 6P has cracked and there are no other signs of physical damage, please proceed with one of the following two solutions:

1. If within the DOA period (within first 15 days of purchase):
      • If the device was purchased from a store, you should return to the point of purchase for a DOA replacement
      • If the you purchased from Rogers directly (Rogers.com or through call centre), let us know and we can process a DOA swap.

1. If you are outside of the DOA period (after the first 15 days of purchase):

Please locate a Rogers store that supports the In-Warranty Repair Program to have the unit sent to the repair facility.

• To find an eligible store; visit the Store Locator here.  (Wireless – Device Tune-Up/Repair)
      • There may be Out of Warranty costs associated if other physical damage is detected.
      • The final decision will be provided by the repair facility based on inspection.

Note: Devices with other signs of physical damage such as a cracked front screen, water damage or other signs of tampering or abuse will not qualify.

RogersDarrell

View solution in original post