Nexus 5 $50 more from Rogers

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hellinutopia
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Nexus 5 $50 more from Rogers

I cant wait Ive been looking for a stock experience for some time.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello hellinutopia

The Nexus 5 is your best bet. Pure Google without any carrier bloatware. There is the S4 Google Edition and HTC One Google edition but sadly Google Canada is not offering it to us through Google Play. You can only get those Models in the US Google Play
AliEn_OuT
I've Been Around

How is it that Rogers is able to claim this phone is $500 with no contract when google set the MSRP at $349?? This is a scam and half to force contracts on people.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello AliEn_OuT

It not just Rogers... All if not most carriers are doing this. Its not really a scam per say but i do get the idea.  Anyone can easily go to Google Play and get it from them. No one is stopping them. There is no rule or policy in place yet that says carries can NOT price fix on devices. It seems for now carries can lift the price to a proper amount. Hopefully a new rule comes out soon. Most carriers work with the manufacturer to get the prices.  So it could be that either LG and Rogers are working together or Rogers just lifted the price to that amount. Past history shows all carriers which had the Nexus devices lifted the prices to whatever they wanted and then slowly brought it down. 

Again, no one is stopping anyone from getting the Nexus 5 from Google Play..

Hogwash
I'm a Senior Contributor

Well, easy answer. Rogers is including the roughly 30% interest on the subsidized $349 price over the 2 year loan/contract period. NOBODY loans money for free. Fact of life.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Hogwash

That is true. Also most carriers that have the Nexus devices do the same thing as well. Just barely anyone notices it and blames Rogers for everything lol.

Sad part is that nothing can happen unless the CRTC makes the rule which won't allow any carry to do this.
Hogwash
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Meowmix wrote:

There is no rule or policy in place yet that says carries can NOT price fix on devices.

Supreme Court of Canada says indirect purchasers can sue in price fixing cases.

Consumers have the right to launch class action lawsuits against corporations that are alleged to have participated in price-fixing schemes, the Supreme Court of Canada says.

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/10/31/supreme-court-of-canada-says-indirect-purchasers-can-su...

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Hogwash

Unless i am blind, that article you posted has nothing to do with carries and over pricing phones.  All it says is another company, not carriers or a cellphone provider..

Yea that is true taking taking Rogers or any carrier to court with a class action lawsuit but who we kidding here. I doubt many even have the money to do a class action lawsuit or even have the time.  Unless there is a strong back up to support the Class action lawsuit The courts will side with Rogers OR Rogers will clear this outside of the court. The CRTC has to make this policy aside with the government. I yet to see this happen. Its happened with other companies but not carriers.

Hopefully the CRTC and the Government both step in and doing something about it. 

Hogwash
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Meowmix wrote:

Hello Hogwash
Unless i am blind, that article you posted has nothing to do with carries and over pricing phones.  All it says is another company, not carriers or a cellphone provider..

This Supreme Court decision effects ANY company selling ANY product within the borders of Canada. The CRTC has NOTHING to do with it.  This is Canadian Law administered by the highest court in the land.

Canadian Law affects EVERYONE and can be applied in many cases. Price fixing is illegal ANYWHERE in Canada.

So let's hope the 'Carriers' aren't engaged in this illegal practice.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Hogwash

I am not arguing about that. What you are saying is correct BUT at the same time if the rule applied to the carriers as well, something would have happened by now, is that not correct?. The CRTC has to apply a wireless code in joint with the supreme Court that demand and telling every carrier can not price fix any product they carry. That had yet to happen and the government has not really said anything about wireless providers aka carriers that the price fixing applies. They only said all companies which can mean carriers and can not mean it. Its not really clarified unless its not been posted.

NOW if they have said this and i have not read it, then Rogers and every single carrier is illegally price fixing and should be going to court or a class action lawsuit should happen. Only time will trll or if someone does indeed do a class action lawsuit against all all carries to see what happens.