Nexus 5 $50 more from Rogers

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Nexus 5 $50 more from Rogers

I am wondering why Rogers is charging $50 more for the Nexus 5 then Google from the Canadian website?

***edited labels***

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Nexus 5 $50 more from Rogers

Hello Andrew250

All carriers are doing this.. Its a known things that carriers up the prices for the Nexus line instead of giving the same price as Google Play. Sadly Rogers will not price match Google Play as they are not a carrier.
I'm a Senior Contributor

Actually, to be clear, Google is subsidizing the cost of the phone through the play store.

Google has far more buying power than any of the carriers world wide, so LG is giving them a better price than any other carrier, which allows Google to price it so low in the Play store.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello AnonymousUser

While that is true, carriers around the world do tend to price the device a bit more then Google Play. They lower it a few months later.
I Plan to Stick Around

There is just no way that the difference between $350 and $499 is acceptable.  I have posed the question of what the cost to Rogers is for that phone and I was told to pound salt, which leads me to believe thier buying power is also formidable.  Let not pretend that Rogers is a white knight sent to save the consumer.  The cost of the phone is significantly marked up and they also make back full cost on plan subsidy.  This is horrible practice and just because the big 3 all do it doesnt make it right.  This may sound like a conspiracy which it is surely not but has anyone noticed how the lack of competiion has kept pricing high in Canada.  Do not beleive the lobbying propoganda from the big 3 there are plenty of studdies that completely contradict what they are saying.  Funny how they all stand firm at exactly the same pricing when the smoke and mirrors have all been removed.  Im not saying this is Collusion but WOW!  Thanks alot for price gouging.  Way to treat your valued customers.

I Plan to Stick Around

Also please note in my previous pose this was based on getting the phone for $0.  It was at one point in time $100 or $150 on a plan and then the Tab was $499 still.  God help us all.  If you like your money you will agree.  If you dont like money they be a rogers fanboy.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello hellinutopia

So just because let's say i don't like my money and love to spend it i am a Rogers fanboy?. Please keep comments like that out of the threads please. Thanks.

As for your first post. I do agree but you also have realize that all Canadian carriers that ever carried the Nexus line, always up the prices as they are on contracts and so on. NOW when a carrier buys devices from the manufacturer, they buy them in bulk per say. It could be half of the price for each unit. Rogers nor any carrier will give u the prices. Its like asking Canadian tire or Walmart how much they pay to get their products, they won't give u a answer.

I do agree tho carriers are over pricing the device. I have said this for many years and will keep saying it.
I Plan to Stick Around

I urge everyone who is on a contract to research for new federal or provincial laws that have been passed recently.  I have been told and this may or may not be true, that there are new regulations where a company cannot charge you for a value that they have made up but can charge you for fair market value depreciation on the phone at the time of closing your contract (this is in the instance where you close your account early/before end of formal contract.  I will find the information and post the link here when I do.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello hellinutopia

I do not see it anywhere & its wrong. Also it up to the carriers & manufactoere to make those prices. So the CRTC can NOT control what price the Manufactorer puts the price for. Also yes the carriers are over pricing the devices but again, CRTC can not control it that must.

No where does the CRTC say that or passed that. here is the more info to see.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/12/02/crtcs-wireless-code-of-conduct-comes-into-effect-today/
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t14.htm

I Plan to Stick Around

We will see, I am not sure this relates to the CRTC.  I will post the link here.  Also to be clear this is not what the price is of the phone upfront.  Selling at whatever you want is a business perogitive and is ethical.  Its what Rogers charges on the tab on the back end based on a inflated/fictishous value of the phone when its time to want out of your contract.

This is also when transparency of costs to rogers comes into effect.  Hidding this information keeps perspective away from the consumer.  I already know the truth about the situation and is what I beleive to be poor business practice.  Other people may disagree but I highly doubt it.