Nexus 4

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mathieu
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Nexus 4

@Meowmix wrote:
That is correct but if the carriers release it, hopefully they go buy the Google updates. Remember not everyone will buy iy from Google Play Store. You make it sound like everyone will spend $300 to get the phone straight frim Google.

Anyways do you have anything to back up that thr S3 may noy get 4.2 or more updates?

Everyone should buy their phone unlocked so they can negotiate the contract 😉

That being said, if you want the Nexus 4 and you're thinking of getting it from Rogers, I strongly suggest waiting to see if Rogers is selling the "universal Google" version or the "LG Canada" version if you're not feeling like hacking around to get the updates from Google.

The S3 is an amazing phone (world's best-selling smartphone last quarter) but Samsung has approximately 300 ROMs for the S3 so it takes times to make the updates and then the carrier (Rogers...) has to approve it.
Google has 1 ROM per device and the carrier doesn't intervene in the process.

ryusoma
I Plan to Stick Around

@Mathieu wrote:
As an Android developer, I want the "pure" Android experience and the latest Android updates without any hacking.

The Nexus 4 has a quad-core CPU and 2 GB of RAM so I don't think any other smartphone will be faster.
No SD card is because Google would like you to store your file in their cloud (and because you'll never have enough space on a phone to store all your data anyway).
No LTE is because it's not possible to make a worldwide LTE phone (the Nexus 4 is compatible with all GSM networks in the world).

Also, if you buy an unlocked phone off contract, you can negotiate a better deal with your carrier ... or choose to live free and not sign any contract.

Unfortunately, many of these 'advantages' are actually detrimental or irrelevant to the average user.

The *average* consumer wouldn't know the difference between 'pure' Android and SenseUI, or any other manufacturer skin.  Nor will it EVER affect their daily usage.  I know because I support many of these people daily.

A quad-core CPU is also functionally irrelevant today except for gamers or enthusiasts intent on waving their with benchmark scores.  Seriously, cellphone review sites look like Anandtech, circa 1998 these days because there's so little quantitative difference between bleeding-edge smartphones anymore, they need to manufacture conflict.  They all have 720p screens, they all run the same operating system and most consumers aren't intelligent enough to buy a phone based on quantitative real-world-useful metrics- like battery life or radio reception.  It boils down to aesthetics and whatever rebate or gimmick the carrier offers them this month.

Most users will simply accept Google's cloud-storage policy, a power user will not.  This is why I refuse to use one and why I am really expecting to reject the Rogers Optimus G as well- My existing GT-i9100 already has 80Gb of onboard storage- why would I accept a fixed, lesser amount?  The SD card also means easier backup and restore options for power users as well.

The lack of LTE is still detrimental.  Obviously there is no worldwide LTE support- but having none at all is equally bad at this point.  HSPA networks are crowded and throttled.  Yes, they may be universal but they are also universally BAD; with terrible latency and wretched upstream bandwidth.  Having used LTE hotspots already for tethering, there is no going back- the difference is like night and day with real-world network speeds even here in Canada ranging from 5 up to and over 60Mbit downstream AND upstream.  The excuse could be made that this is a power efficiency issues but when LG's own flagship offers an integrated LTE chip that's clearly not the case; it's just political.  The Nexus phone cannot overstep the bounds of propriety and infringe upon the domain of the manufacturer's new (literally released THE SAME MONTH) flagship smartphone.  That's the REAL reason this phone doesn't support LTE.

Buying a non-contract phone certainly reduces your termination penalties.  Does it allow you to negotiate a better price?  That is actually debateable.  New Rogers plans these days give away 90% of my plan to any John Q. Public off the street.  I've been told by Retentions there's nothing more they can do for me except to add long-distance calling or other features I will never use anyways- tangible improvements in my existing plan like a boost to 10Gb or the unlimited data plans will still be at full package price.  And even when I've walked into Bell or Telus stores with my invoice, I'm told they still can't beat that pricing.  So really, where's the benefit for me?  We all know no Canadian carrier will ever break the quiet collusion they operate with- matching pricing and services against each other.  There will never be any *game changer* service or plan that one needs to break a contract for without outside influence or pressure.

I think annoyingly ONCE AGAIN I am buying an unlocked phone from eBay or Expansys not to avoid being beholden to Rogers, but because Rogers offers only deliberately-handicapped, *captive* devices to a market of consumers they intend to keep hostage, and in today's global market they still insist on proprietary revisions to globally-available products.

I still remember my first smartphone.. the Nokia 3650.  Lightyears ahead of anything Rogers would offer you in 2002.

**edited for content**

Mathieu

@ryusoma you start by talking about the average users  and then you mention how power users like SD card and LTE.

Also, HSPA is not "universally BAD", HSPA is bad in big cities in North America.

As more and more users use LTE, HSPA will get better and LTE will get worst.

I don't care about CPUs and memory but I've heard people saying that the performance of the Nexus 4 weren't good and that's simply not true because it runs the most optimized version of Android on one of the most powerful CPU and with the biggest quantity of memory available on any smartphone.

Yes, the Nexus phone from Google are meant to be unlocked, open and pure Android.

If you don't care about that, it's not for you.

Buying an unlocked phone allowed me to obtain a better price because there is nothing more than you carrier can offer you than price reduction (or more services) when you already own one of the best smartphone and it's unlocked and compatible with al carriers.

AdamUpNorth
I Plan to Stick Around

@ryusoma I'd have to disagree regarding your comments about the average user.
You say that a quad core cpu is irrelevant. You are correct in that the term "quad core" is meaningless to the average user but the smooth and snappy ui experience it provides is not. The same goes for pure Android. A simple thing like swiping homescreens is smoother on my older and slower GNex than it is on any GS3 or OneX I've used. That's because they're still back on ICS. So because I have a Nexus device with pure Android I've enjoyed a better experience simply because of timely updates.

You also say that not having LTE is detrimental. If anything I feel that LTE is less important. I'm betting the average, non-power user has a small data plan (500MB of less) and only checks their email, Facebook, Twitter and text messages. As much an improvement as LTE is, the average user probably wouldn't really benefit from it due to the tasks they perform. Whereas and fast cpu would enhance their experience every time they touch the phone.
In terms of the Nexus not having having LTE. It's obviously a cost thing. Google is putting out good products (N7 & N4 for example) at ridiculous prices. For the N4 Google just needs LG to make 1 sku for them for a global phone. I believe I read somewhere that there are 3 or 4 iPhone 5 skus to support the different LTE configurations globally. If Google was to do the same the N4 would be more expensive.

Although I wish the N4 had more storage(your 80GB power user setup sound great...jealous of that) I don't think the average user would even notice.

All that being said, the average user won't buy the N4 because they won't know it exists. If carriers don't sell it and if Google doesn't market it, it's only us nerds that will buy it.
imeem
I Plan to Stick Around

so did anyone get the N4? 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello imeem

I did for my sister. I ordered it & went threw. After a few minutes tho everyone started having issues with the check out part. 20 minutes later, they are all sold out.
Mathieu

@Mathieu wrote:

That being said, if you want the Nexus 4 and you're thinking of getting it from Rogers, I strongly suggest waiting to see if Rogers is selling the "universal Google" version or the "LG Canada" version if you're not feeling like hacking around to get the updates from Google.

I don't know about Rogers but it seems like other carriers in other countries are selling the same Nexus 4 as Google (with Google ROM) and will get the updates at the same time as everyone else.
That being said, these carriers are selling the Nexus 4 at around the same price as the "contract free Nexus 4" available on Google Play, but with a contract so I'm not usre it's a good deal.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

I really doubt Rogers would even sell the Nexus 4. No Canadian Carrier has announced they will carry it & it already has been released by Google. I am sure they are most likely going to pass the Nexus 4 & wait for another phone to release. If Rogers does release it, i would not be surprised if they released it for around $500+ outright. Knowing Rogers they would do it.
asimowalk
I Plan to Stick Around

Didn't Rogers discontinue the Galaxy Nexus fairly quickly? I'm sure whatever reason they had to do that helped with their  decision not to carry the Nexus 4.

Perhaps Rogers only wants to offer phones that they can add One Number (among other Rogers apps), since they seem to be promoing that a lot lately... Who knows, maybe even the LTE issue North Americans seem to complain a lot about played a role.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

All the carriers discontinued the Galaxy Nexus fairly quick. The problem was the updates not being on time & the many issues with the bleeding of the screen / black spots on the LCD.

I really doubt it seeing as Rogers carries the iPhone which Rogers has NO control over the update being on the OS. Mind you Apple has contracts with the carriers to do this.

It could be that Rogers does not want to sell the Nexus 4 due to the low cost of the phone outright from Google. Remember Rogers will price it higher then Google & no one will want to buy it from them. Thus making it a non selling device to them.

LTE is a big this here in Canada. Most carriers have it. ( Rogers, Bell, Telus, Fido, Virgin & the rest who have it). This could also play in their decision on not getting the phone as well.

Who knows tho what the reason of Rogers not getting it.