Nexus 4

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ayu
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Nexus 4

I am new to smartphone. I plan to get a Nexus 4 and get the smallest data plan possible.
– Can I just use Wifi to download games/apps from the Play store?
– Will the clouds chewing my data bandwidth even if I am not UL/DL from it?
– Will the GPS software keep using the data bandwidth 24/7 even if I am not using the software?

I appreciate any advice.

Mathieu
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Ayu wrote:

I am new to smartphone. I plan to get a Nexus 4 and get the smallest data plan possible.
– Can I just use Wifi to download games/apps from the Play store? YES
– Will the clouds chewing my data bandwidth even if I am not UL/DL from it? MAYBE
– Will the GPS software keep using the data bandwidth 24/7 even if I am not using the software? MAYBE

I appreciate any advice.

Yes, you can use WiFi to download games/apps from the Play Store on any Android device (most tablets don't have 3G).

With default settings, most apps ("the clouds", GPS soffware ...) should not use a lot of 3G data bandwith if you're not using them.

But Android apps can run in the background ("services") and sync data with "the clouds" so you should be carefull with every app installed from your phone.

Most apps offer a way to disable/limit background sync over mobile network.

Also, you can disable sync for Google, DropBox...  with 1 click in the "Power control" widget.

Since Android 4, you can see which app uses data in the "Data usage" menu in the phone "Settings": and you can set an alarm limit and a data limit (so the mobile data will be disabled when you rich the data limit).

ryusoma
I Plan to Stick Around

As a technician and Android hacker I still don't see the appeal of Yet-another-Nexus-phone.  Yes, certainly it's another manufacturer in the merry-go-round.  Yes, it's relatively-inexpensive for an unlocked phone.  But compared in context to Nexus phones of the past it's frankly quite mediocre, it doesn't do ANYTHING better than most other phones now.

This phone is in essence a stripped-down LG Optimus G- it has no LTE network support.  It has no memory card.  It has a lesser camera.  It has less onboard storage and less onboard RAM.  The only advantage it has outright is that it comes with vanilla Google Android, free of any cluttered and irksome manufacturer UI.  And if you know anything about Android, this is rarely a problem past the first month a phone is available to the public..

So maybe this makes a good second phone?  Or a spare for travel or family plans?  But I don't see the appeal when for $100 more you could buy a real Optimus G unlocked from eBay or various retailers, and the prices of Galaxy SIIIs, RAZR HDs and the rest just keep sliding downwards.  And for those who say they "Can't afford a superphone off contract".. if you can't afford it, why do you need it when they're given away for near nothing with a renewal?  Phones like this are near useless without an accompanying data plan and you'll be paying $40-50/mo. for that too..

I've bought my last 2 bleeding-edge Android off contract, and Rogers has screwed the pooch again with an *exclusive* and crippled revision of the Optimus G.  So either I'm foregoing another 'free' upgrade with renewal, or stalling until next spring at the earliest to replace my GT-i9100 with.. a Galaxy SIV?  Experia Yuga? who knows.

Mathieu

As an Android developer, I want the "pure" Android experience and the latest Android updates without any hacking.

The Nexus 4 has a quad-core CPU and 2 GB of RAM so I don't think any other smartphone will be faster.
No SD card is because Google would like you to store your file in their cloud (and because you'll never have enough space on a phone to store all your data anyway).
No LTE is because it's not possible to make a worldwide LTE phone (the Nexus 4 is compatible with all GSM networks in the world).

Also, if you buy an unlocked phone off contract, you can negotiate a better deal with your carrier ... or choose to live free and not sign any contract.
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Mathieu

You always forget to add that the updates will NOT come to you as fast as the should be. Everyone waited for months for the Galaxy Nexus to get the Canadian updates. Look in here and
XDA and other sites to see this. You always fail to provide that critical sentence.

The S3 by far is better then the LG Nexus 4 in my opinion. The Canadian version may not be quad core but does that really matter? It has LTE, 2GB( first smartphone to do this), SD card slot, free 50 GB of storage with Dropbox and better support.

I love the idea about the price if the nexus BUT im still sticking to the S3.
Ketama
I'm Here A Lot

Are updates different for carrier released Nexus devices compared to Google Store purchased devices? 

Mathieu

Unlike the "Samsung Canada" Galaxy Nexus, the Google Nexus 4 will be available on the Google Play store in Canada and this device will get the updates directly from Google at the same time as every other single Nexus 4.

The Galaxy S3 is great phone if you want LTE, SD card slot and if you don't expect the ever have the Android 4.2 update.
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

That is correct but if the carriers release it, hopefully they go buy the Google updates. Remember not everyone will buy iy from Google Play Store. You make it sound like everyone will spend $300 to get the phone straight frim Google.

Anyways do you have anything to back up that thr S3 may noy get 4.2 or more updates?
Ketama
I'm Here A Lot

I have no need for LTE and sd cards either so in that sense the N4 works for me.

I think I read somewhere that Nexus updates from Google are available sooner in comparison to carrier updates. Any truth to that?

Makes more sense to spend $300 off contract than $150 to $200 and be tied in to the usual 3 years. I think the S3 will stop getting updates at some point well before the N4 does.

AdamUpNorth
I Plan to Stick Around

Ketama,

Your statement is correct. If you have a Nexus phone and are running one of Google's own software builds then you will the update with in a week or so Google releasing it.  That would be the case if you got your phone from the Google play store.  The Galaxy Nexus that was available from Rogers/Bell had some North American "localization" changes in the software that were controlled by Samsung. So, as previously stated, there was a delay in the Canadian GNex getting the updates.  Now...that being said, it still gets the updates way before any of the non-vanila Android phones (i.e. GS3, OneX, etc...).

What a lot of Canadians did were visit the XDA site and and got the instructions to replace the North American Android build (updated by Samsung) with Google's direct build so that you get the update just as fast as anyone who bought the phone from the Play Store.  I did it shortly after getting my Gnex and got all the updates promptly.   

If having Android updates important to you the a Nexus phone is the way to go.   

An argument can be made that you can install a popular community version of Android (i.e. Cyanogen Mod) but in my experience with them....not all features work the way they should and you end up spending more time tinkering to get things work than enjoying your phone.

In short.  Nexus = updates, pure android, no tinkering.

P.S.  Wow, haven't posted in a year here. Good to be back.