cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 4

mbazdell
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Come on Rogers! The Nexus 4 was just announced today and I can't even order it yet?? This is terrible customer service. I mean like it's already 8 hours and not even released anywhere but like... come on! You guys never have any new phones. It's always like weeks of waiting before they're availble. Sheesh.

(This is a sarcastic post)

But seriously... $350 for this thing isn't a bad price. I'm a bit sad that it doesn't have LTE though.

****Edited Labels****

54 REPLIES 54

Re: Nexus 4

Mathieu

@ryusoma you start by talking about the average users  and then you mention how power users like SD card and LTE.

Also, HSPA is not "universally BAD", HSPA is bad in big cities in North America.

As more and more users use LTE, HSPA will get better and LTE will get worst.

I don't care about CPUs and memory but I've heard people saying that the performance of the Nexus 4 weren't good and that's simply not true because it runs the most optimized version of Android on one of the most powerful CPU and with the biggest quantity of memory available on any smartphone.

Yes, the Nexus phone from Google are meant to be unlocked, open and pure Android.

If you don't care about that, it's not for you.

Buying an unlocked phone allowed me to obtain a better price because there is nothing more than you carrier can offer you than price reduction (or more services) when you already own one of the best smartphone and it's unlocked and compatible with al carriers.

AdamUpNorth
I Plan to Stick Around
@ryusoma I'd have to disagree regarding your comments about the average user.
You say that a quad core cpu is irrelevant. You are correct in that the term "quad core" is meaningless to the average user but the smooth and snappy ui experience it provides is not. The same goes for pure Android. A simple thing like swiping homescreens is smoother on my older and slower GNex than it is on any GS3 or OneX I've used. That's because they're still back on ICS. So because I have a Nexus device with pure Android I've enjoyed a better experience simply because of timely updates.

You also say that not having LTE is detrimental. If anything I feel that LTE is less important. I'm betting the average, non-power user has a small data plan (500MB of less) and only checks their email, Facebook, Twitter and text messages. As much an improvement as LTE is, the average user probably wouldn't really benefit from it due to the tasks they perform. Whereas and fast cpu would enhance their experience every time they touch the phone.
In terms of the Nexus not having having LTE. It's obviously a cost thing. Google is putting out good products (N7 & N4 for example) at ridiculous prices. For the N4 Google just needs LG to make 1 sku for them for a global phone. I believe I read somewhere that there are 3 or 4 iPhone 5 skus to support the different LTE configurations globally. If Google was to do the same the N4 would be more expensive.

Although I wish the N4 had more storage(your 80GB power user setup sound great...jealous of that) I don't think the average user would even notice.

All that being said, the average user won't buy the N4 because they won't know it exists. If carriers don't sell it and if Google doesn't market it, it's only us nerds that will buy it.

imeem
I Plan to Stick Around

so did anyone get the N4? 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello imeem

I did for my sister. I ordered it & went threw. After a few minutes tho everyone started having issues with the check out part. 20 minutes later, they are all sold out.

Mathieu

@Mathieu wrote:

That being said, if you want the Nexus 4 and you're thinking of getting it from Rogers, I strongly suggest waiting to see if Rogers is selling the "universal Google" version or the "LG Canada" version if you're not feeling like hacking around to get the updates from Google.

I don't know about Rogers but it seems like other carriers in other countries are selling the same Nexus 4 as Google (with Google ROM) and will get the updates at the same time as everyone else.
That being said, these carriers are selling the Nexus 4 at around the same price as the "contract free Nexus 4" available on Google Play, but with a contract so I'm not usre it's a good deal.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
I really doubt Rogers would even sell the Nexus 4. No Canadian Carrier has announced they will carry it & it already has been released by Google. I am sure they are most likely going to pass the Nexus 4 & wait for another phone to release. If Rogers does release it, i would not be surprised if they released it for around $500+ outright. Knowing Rogers they would do it.

asimowalk
I Plan to Stick Around

Didn't Rogers discontinue the Galaxy Nexus fairly quickly? I'm sure whatever reason they had to do that helped with their  decision not to carry the Nexus 4.

Perhaps Rogers only wants to offer phones that they can add One Number (among other Rogers apps), since they seem to be promoing that a lot lately... Who knows, maybe even the LTE issue North Americans seem to complain a lot about played a role.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
All the carriers discontinued the Galaxy Nexus fairly quick. The problem was the updates not being on time & the many issues with the bleeding of the screen / black spots on the LCD.

I really doubt it seeing as Rogers carries the iPhone which Rogers has NO control over the update being on the OS. Mind you Apple has contracts with the carriers to do this.

It could be that Rogers does not want to sell the Nexus 4 due to the low cost of the phone outright from Google. Remember Rogers will price it higher then Google & no one will want to buy it from them. Thus making it a non selling device to them.

LTE is a big this here in Canada. Most carriers have it. ( Rogers, Bell, Telus, Fido, Virgin & the rest who have it). This could also play in their decision on not getting the phone as well.

Who knows tho what the reason of Rogers not getting it.

Prasanth
I've Been Around

Hey ! I just went to Rogers and they were able to cut my sim into a microsim! 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello prasanth

Yes there are some reps that do that. Keep in mind tho if the rep damages the sim by doing that, they are not held responsible as they will say you asked for it.

clockwork58
I Plan to Stick Around

I paid the $10 for the microsim. Just pay the money. lol.

Rogers prob didn't get the N4 because even though it has "LTE" in it, it not officially an LTE device. 

The phone is also identical to the Optimus G. Except for the outer case, it's the same phone.

If the N4 came, even fewer people would buy the Optimus G.

And brand new optimus G's go on craigslist for even cheaper than the N4.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello clockwork58

That is correct. Also Rogers & Bell & Telus never got it as its not worth for them to sell it outright for 325+ tax. Remember the carriers want to make money, so Google & the carriers most likely did not agree to it.

clockwork58
I Plan to Stick Around

In Reply to Ayu [Page 4 post]

I've used an Android phone (Sony X10, Captivate Glide and now Nexus 4) for the past 3+ years using my old customer retention plan which only includes 500Mb of data and I've never gone over.

However, to conserve data (and battery) I turn off all auto-updates. Such as Facebook/Twitter to only update when I run the app.

Avoid streaming of audio/video on low data plans as they are the biggest data hoggers

You can also conserve GPS data by saving the map to your phone. In Google maps, go to the area/city that your interested in, and press menu and select "Save to Offline" and you can save the map directly onto the device and thus not using any data when you only need the GPS signal since you already have the map on your phone. [Kudo's to Goooooooogle for doing this]

Topic Stats