cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nextbox problem

Domingo
I Plan to Stick Around

Just bought a 8642 nextbox pvr on the weekend at bestbuy. I'm about to return it as it keeps turning off and on and then I get a spinning snake thing on the box non stop. I then have to unplug and plug in until it boots sometimes its ok sometimes problem comes back sometimes the screen is double vision.

Anyone else have issues here? I couldn't find anything here but I did on various sites. I have an older 8642 pvr thats been mostly problem free for the past year.

272 REPLIES 272

Re: Nextbox problem

mousetamer
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Component is analog, HDMI is digital. With component, the HD box has to convert the digital signal it receives back down to analog. Your TV then has to convert it back to digital and display it. HDMI is a straight digital connection, which means there is no conversion out of the HD box to the TV. The end result is better, sharper picture. We used to demo this where I work with a single box hooked up to 2 identical TVs. The component TV didnt look as sharp on things like text, the Rogers guide, and also had a lot more macro blocking compared to the one with HDMI.
HDMI also carries audio btw, while component requires a separate audio connection. Then there is the WAF side of it . 1 cable vs 5.

Yes, all in all, the HDMI cable will give you slightly better picture compared to the two ways.

I was only sugesting it, for testing purposes.  THough it appears the BOX is fine, since it was going ok with the component.

I would recomend trying to swap that HDMI cable.  One of the HD boxes (non pvr) i had, had off and on issues with the HDMI port.. i just went to component on that TV period (as the TV itself, was only 720p).

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@mousetamer wrote:
Component is analog, HDMI is digital. With component, the HD box has to convert the digital signal it receives back down to analog. Your TV then has to convert it back to digital and display it. HDMI is a straight digital connection, which means there is no conversion out of the HD box to the TV. The end result is better, sharper picture. We used to demo this where I work with a single box hooked up to 2 identical TVs. The component TV didnt look as sharp on things like text, the Rogers guide, and also had a lot more macro blocking compared to the one with HDMI.
HDMI also carries audio btw, while component requires a separate audio connection. Then there is the WAF side of it . 1 cable vs 5.

Thanks.  I was just asking because I belive our box is hooked up with the Component cables.  For now everything is working well and is satisfactorily,  I will just leave it that way.  Dont want to tempt fate. Smiley LOL

Gdkitty
Resident Expert

@jays77 wrote:

Thanks.  I was just asking because I belive our box is hooked up with the Component cables.  For now everything is working well and is satisfactorily,  I will just leave it that way.  Dont want to tempt fate. Smiley LOL

With these boxes.. its probably a good idea 😛

Depending on the TV, you may not notice any of the things that Mousetamer mentioned.

And in the end.. weither through HDMI or component, the box is outputing 1080i either way.. so its not like you would be getting 1080p or anything from HDMI.

Stockade
I've Been Here Awhile

Just going to add here as well,  If any rogers employees read this ever,  that these nextbox's are complete crap,  Its now 2:56 am and Ive been unable to watch TV for an hour, it constantly gets stuck on the loading bar,  or on the dnld or whatever,  It will NOT respond to the remote,  to buttons on the unit, nothing works unless you unplug it and let it go again.

What could POSSIBLY require updates this often with no apparent improvement to the unit or the service it provides?

I personally cannot wait till my agreement with this Nextbox DIAMOND package to expire,  Ill be dropping this poop faster than a red hot rivet.

Ive heard some people say they have had little or no issues with them,  but if youre a late night TV viewer,  or a timeshifter, go with another television provider.