cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nextbox problem

Domingo
I Plan to Stick Around

Just bought a 8642 nextbox pvr on the weekend at bestbuy. I'm about to return it as it keeps turning off and on and then I get a spinning snake thing on the box non stop. I then have to unplug and plug in until it boots sometimes its ok sometimes problem comes back sometimes the screen is double vision.

Anyone else have issues here? I couldn't find anything here but I did on various sites. I have an older 8642 pvr thats been mostly problem free for the past year.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Nextbox problem

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Puzuma.

The reboots are normal. They happen becuase Rogers updates the Guide & the box with features & new channes & also fixes on other thingsThis happens at 2am because of the  system maintenance. This can NOT be changed at all. This is something we all have to face. The box only reboots once a day which is at night. It takes a few minutes & then goes back to normal. Sometimes it may take 10 minutes depending on what is being added / installed. This is something Rogers will never change or take down.

Here are other threads about it.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

There is more threads / posts about this but if you want,  you can use the search feature on the top right hand side & find them as well.

View solution in original post

272 REPLIES 272

mousetamer
I'm a Trusted Contributor
The booting and rebooting is normal at first. The box is downloading and installing the Nextbox software and the new IPG. You should not touch the box until the loading bar which you see at the bottom of your TV screen goes away. If this initial install was interrupted then you may want to reboot the box again and don't touch it for about an hour after you see the spinning snake as you call it. If that doesn't work just exchange your box and make sure the initial install is uninturrpted.

BooksAboutMovie
I've Been Here Awhile

Stay with your old system at all costs. This new system is a nightmare of bad design decisions and manufacturing mistakes.

@BooksAboutMovie wrote:

Stay with your old system at all costs. This new system is a nightmare of bad design decisions and manufacturing mistakes.

Which is one opinion on it.  While there are some bugs in it (I can list 5-6 that STILL exist in the OLD IPG), there are others that do like the majority of it.. it can be changed an improved on as time goes on, and it may eventualy be the only choice.

As for the OP's problem.  If its not at the most NEWEST version of the IPG, as someone else posted, it may take a few reboots to update itself fully to the latest update. (think of them, kinda like windows updates).

Also, are you replacing an older model box? (older model completely, not just different IPG)?  The newer boxes, are alot more sensitive to a slightly weaker signal.. while it may have been fine on an older box, might not be on the newer one.  A call to have a technician come out, they can check everything, install a booster if needed, etc.

Domingo
I Plan to Stick Around

I already have a hd pvr and I just bought this one (didn't even realize it was a nextbox) to replace a standard box. I'm not sure what IPG acronym stands for (something programming guide?). I don't know how to check what version of anything I have. I bought it a week ago some I'm guessing I have the latest but don't know. I'm going to give it a week and if it doesn't improve I'm returning it.

I can also say that amazingly there was a power outage exactly when I plugged it in for the first time and it started downloading whatever it downloads when you first plug it in. Power came on seconds later and it started to count down I believe and seemed to do it's thing and everything seemed fine BUT now I have these off and on problems and then it shuts off and does that spiral think on the box. I simply wanted another hd pvr like I have in the living room for my bedroom but if this thing is still in some sort of "beta" form I'm not interested. Hope its just a clumsy update of some sort.

IPG stands for Interactive Program Guide 🙂 the guide thats on the TV.

There are technicaly two IPGs.. the old SD one, (on the 8300 PVR, and what came originaly on the new cisco boxes).. and the new HD IPG.  (There are always updates to the new IPG.. so it could be that the box only had v1 of the new IPG, and needed to update to v5 or something like that)

That you have the power outage durring that one download.. that MAY have screwed it up on the install 😞  If you can right away, i would see if you can do a straight swap for another, and let it do a clean restert, etc.

In the long run, this primarily is the way its going and there may not be an option to use the old IPG anymore.  But even with a new box, at least at present.. i beleive you can call, and have them push the OLD ipg out to those boxes.

angelus_025
I Plan to Stick Around

It might not be as frustrating to someone for whom this is their first PVR.  Many of the complaints here come from people who had the older PVRs and were satisfied with them despite the ugly guide and technology that was far behind competitors' boxes.  They are used to certain features and when they are sold on an upgrade that is slower with far fewer features they are understandably upset.  The old software was fine for what it was it really just needed a fresh coat of paint in the form of an HD guide, display, etc.  The fact that my 10 year old Windows Media Center PC has more advanced functionality in its PVR than either of Rogers' old or new PVRs is laughable.  They didn't even give us an operation manual/guide for the Netbox when they installed it.  When I asked the technician he said 'its the same as the old one'.  More lies.

Domingo
I Plan to Stick Around

No, not my first hdpvr. this is my second one that's replacing a standard digital box in the bedroom. Both boxes look the same except one says Rogers and the other says Nextbox in the upper left corner of the receiver and the "IPG" from what I could tell so far. I do admit that I much prefer the old guide and scrolling of channels when arrowing up or down while on a channel. I don't know if it's that big a deal yet to me but maybe thats because the wife watches that tv usually. She did complain about something to do with recording but can't recall at the moment. Will check later to see if there's a problem I can find.

Last night I did hear the hard drive (I assume) making noise in the middle of the night, anyone know what that could have been. Is there a standard time thse things update like early morning hours?

Also, can someone explain how to see what versions of whatever, like ipg, I have?

Thanks

angelus_025
I Plan to Stick Around

They update pretty much every night, its usually right on the hour but the hour ranges.  I have seen/heard it update at 2am, 3am, 4am, 5am.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I think it's around 2am est.

All the recording things that the old one can do can be done on the new, just a little differently ( minus manual recording at specific odd times apparently)

campadk
I Plan to Stick Around

Our nextcrap box is going back VERY shortly. We've put up with it now for a few months now and curse it every night. It's noisy (it requires the odd slap to fix the transformer buzzing - someone mentioned the disk getting noisy one night, might have been the tranformer), slower than the older box, the software is full of bugs, and recording is very unreliable. The interface just isn't. Totally unintuitive. Bizare problems include random recordings without audio, or even recording audio in spanish! lol. It requires much more usage of each and every button on that dam 58 button remote so you spend a lot of time looking for specific buttons on the old fashioned remote. It lags so if you press buttons on the remote to fast it goes nuts. Whats with the weather block appearing all the time for no reason? The old boxes with the software written back in 1985 looked bad considering this is 2012, yet it is 100X better than the new Nextcrap box and pathetic software written by a high school student dropout. How can it be so slow to do basic things on supposedly the latest hardware? Did they ever test this junk or try to use it to watch tv before flogging it on tv with some guy running between rooms watching the same show? Pure crap, its going back!

The buzzing, etc, would be a bad box. Mine is perfectly silent.

The software.. well thats user opninion.. i wont get into it. 

I myself, have only had to reboot it 3 times, 2 of them signal issues.  One weird thing where it wasnt letting the full recorded list to be browsed.  Worded fine and recorded every thing fine, as scheduled. (audio, etc is fine).

THe weather block? the thing across the bottom where the info bar shows?  That pops up if you hit the .. D colored button.  If its poping up otherwise.. might be another sign of a bad box.

NOt that if matters if you are taking it back 😛

angelus_025
I Plan to Stick Around

Like any new hardware/software there are expected bugs, etc but the fact that it sometimes takes a good 5 seconds for it to do something as basic as changing the channel shows that this was not properly tested and the problems are beyond normal.  Its absolutely ridiculous how slow it can be sometimes.

The only time i have noticed it being a little slow, is when i first boot mine up in the morning.. takes a second.

Other than that, seems fine.   Could be just me, but i find the actual guide to move a little quicker, after the update

jbrtyuo
I Plan to Stick Around

The new IPG is horrible.  I personally regret switching from the old menu on my 8642.  My wife however likes the new menu. 

What idiot implemented the new aspect ratio changes ?  Previously when watching a pill-boxed program like CTV NewsNet you could zoom and it would fill the screen properly.   Now your choices are stretch - only horizontal,  25% - which zooms the ticker tape on the bottom right off the screen, 50% - I don't know when anyone would use that, and "normal" leaving you watching 16:9 format on an SD channel ....  pill boxed video on your big screen TV.    Super...

Please Rogers - FIX the aspect ratio   - I'll live with the other issues if you'd just fix this. 

I'm guessing I have to call to request to go back to the old menu.  I would imagine a factory reset will be overwritten by the head end settings  for my account. Anyone comment on switching back to the old menu ?

mousetamer
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Make sure you watch anything important that is saved on the box since the revert will most likely wipe it.
Or just listen to to the boss and get used to it. I'm sure the zoom settings will be adjusted seeing how this seems to be one of the biggest PITAs for a lot of customers.

Mouse is correct on that one. 

Loosing your saved programs, while going to the NEW guide, doesnt always happen, but is possible.
Its pretty much guaranteed to loose all programs when reverting back.

The zoom primarily is an issue.. that the old SD channels were in 480, vs they are now forced upconverted to 1080.. so arent allowing the soom the same way.  Hopefuly they will change it.. or replace all the SD with HD ones 🙂

In the long run.. i dont see the new guide going away.  All the old boxes that were ONLY the old guide, you cant realy get any more.. almost all the new boxes are pre-loaded with the new IPG.
EVENTUALY, it will probably be the forced standard.

byteme
I Plan to Stick Around
Well im starting to go with staying away from the nextbox i have had 2 in the last month now thus one brought up some kind of error box in the other room lastnight shut dwn rebooted shut down rebooted and shut off.This morning i came out and reconnected the hdmi cable to my main tv and tried to turn on the box my tv started cycling off and on the box came on wouldnt shut off i disconnected all the pwr tried again .Looks looks the box may have fried my pwr supply from the hdmi cable so now im here with a broke 4 year old 46 in tv .I heard of this happening to a friend of mine and said no way but i guess its yes way piece of junk never had so much trouble ever

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Any device that is connected to any device, if there is a surge across it, there is always a potential for this to happen unforunately 😞

This is why all tv and dvd, pvr, etc should be pluged into a surge bar.. at least protect it from surges from the outlet going through..

I had a room mate in college.. His whole PC got fried.. His PC was on a surge bar... but the surge came up the cable line, to the modem, then into the PC through the cat5 cable.

jstamand
I've Been Around

I'm really not too sure how anyone could defend the Netbox or compare it to the old system. Say what you want about the old box, at least it was reliable 99% of the time. I'm only a few hours into this Nextbox PVR and I'm scared about what I'm reading considering it's been stuck in some weird boot cycle ever since I plugged it in (and unplugged and replugged, and unplugged......and finally replugged x10). I didn't bother calling into support because it's late and I'm not watching TV so I'll hope for the best in the morning. I have a Nextbox HD terminal in the other room and it seems to be working fine for now...

sc21
I'm Here A Lot

My nextbox pvr seems to turn on by itself. It can be off for hours and then I'll come in the room and the power is on. I live alone so no one else in the house would be turning it on. I've noticed this tends to happen more overnight. Is this because the system updates automatically? My box is a rental so if this is a glitch I'll just exchange it.