cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nextbox problem

Domingo
I Plan to Stick Around

Just bought a 8642 nextbox pvr on the weekend at bestbuy. I'm about to return it as it keeps turning off and on and then I get a spinning snake thing on the box non stop. I then have to unplug and plug in until it boots sometimes its ok sometimes problem comes back sometimes the screen is double vision.

Anyone else have issues here? I couldn't find anything here but I did on various sites. I have an older 8642 pvr thats been mostly problem free for the past year.

272 REPLIES 272

Re: Nextbox Problem

help4me
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for the reply.

In terms of your suggestions I can only reboot the PVR by powering it off/on.

Once the problem occurs pressing on the PVR's Remote Setting button does not bring up the settings' menus unfortunately.

Going back to my original question why is my PVR going non-responsive in the first place? I have the PVR set to TV mode 1080p (I also tried 1080i) and the problem still occurs. Does it matter what order I power up my TV and PVR? I currently power up the TV first followed by the PVR.

Thanks.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @help4me

You can reboot the box by unplugging it from the power cable from the back. Then wait 10 seconds and plug it back in and it will start rebooting. ( if by powering it on and off meaning by the power button on the remote u are talking about).

On the remote pre as settings ( menu) and it will bring up a menu. It will show Guide - My Recordings - Rogers on Demand - Apps and below u will see Search and Settings. Click on settings and follow my post above. That's how u get into the settings.

No order on powering up shouldn't matter. I use my Harmony Elite remote to power on my Sony 55X850XBR - Denon receive and then the 4K PVR. Works fine right off the bat.

Maybe it's a fault box or the settings isn't sitting properly.

help4me
I Plan to Stick Around

I called Rogers Technical Support this morning to explain my problem described above. Their answer was to perform a signal Zap test (whatever that is) and the rep suggested that I reboot the PVR once a week.

Does anyone else reboot their PVR's on a schedule basis?

What is a Zap test?

Thanks!

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @help4me

Zapping the box is a way they do a reboot from their end and it installs any updates needed. So that's fine on their end.

Hmm never heard about that. I never have had to reboot my box other then once and that's it. Seems like those techs have no clue.

Have you asked to speak to a Level 2 tech support agent?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@help4me wrote:

Does anyone else reboot their PVR's on a schedule basis?

Years ago I, and many others, used to reboot about once a month. It's not really a bad idea since, like a computer, it's good to have fresh firmware once in a while.

Lately though, my 9865 has been very stable and I only reboot if I encounter an issue, or if it reboots by itself with a firmware update.

I have a few other comments. 

1. There have been several reports of issues (like improper handshakes) with older TVs and 4K STBs on this forum. Make sure your TV has the latest firmware.

2. I would suggest using 1080i as your output format. Most channels broadcast in that format and most TVs do a better job of conversion than a STB, although people have reported that the 4K boxes do a fair job of upconversion, but that was to 4K...

3. Make sure you have a good signal. You can check yourself or call to have Rogers check.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...