cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nextbox problem

Domingo
I Plan to Stick Around

Just bought a 8642 nextbox pvr on the weekend at bestbuy. I'm about to return it as it keeps turning off and on and then I get a spinning snake thing on the box non stop. I then have to unplug and plug in until it boots sometimes its ok sometimes problem comes back sometimes the screen is double vision.

Anyone else have issues here? I couldn't find anything here but I did on various sites. I have an older 8642 pvr thats been mostly problem free for the past year.

272 REPLIES 272

Re: Nextbox problem

Radar2000
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the response 57. I'll have to give that a try...which means I'll need to figure out a way to add a pause to my Logitech smart remote.

As for the other more serious issues, where the volume blasts out ear peircing white-noise when fast forwarding, what are your thoughts there?

Cheers!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Radar2000:

If you're talking about a Harmony or similar remote, when you go into the setup on your computer there is an option for various delays, I believe by milliseconds.   You may need 2000-3000+ or a few seconds.  Perhaps one delay after the AVR turns on, then another delay after the TV turns on, then have the STB turn on last.

One of my clients had this issue and rather than do the delay, we simply added a "CH+" sequence at the end and set the STB to start one channel lower than desired.

We also set up two different Harmony Activities.  One was for "Watch TV" (without an AVR) because this particular client wanted to occasionally watch without starting the AVR. The other was for "Watch Home Theatre" which included the AVR.

Perhaps if the HDMI synch occurs properly you won't have the squealing issue on FF.  Make sure the audio settings in the STB are appropriate (DD, not PCM, etc)  It may also relate to a poor HDMI connection - unplug/replug all connections and if possible reverse the ends to ensure appropriate contact at all ports.

mfait
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Radar2000 wrote:

Hi there.

I have a Rogers NextBox 9865HD PVR with another Non-PVR NextBox 2.0 receiver.

I have been experiencing playback issues where verified recordings on the upstairs PVR don't show up on the list on the downstairs non-PVR box.

I've rebooted both the PVR and Non-PVR boxes several times and the recordings still don't show up. This also happens while a program is being recorded...and it still doesn't show up on the Non-PVR box.

I'm going to open a ticket with Rogers and will request that they have a tech come out again...as the visit had the tech confirm the data signal was fine between both boxes and he had switched the Non-PVR box with another.

Has anyone experienced this issue? If so, any suggestions/recommendations/outcomes would be appreciated.

Happens to me once in a while.  Re-booting the boxes does not seem to help,  but they usually resync on their own after a day or two.

Have yours resynced yet?

kalbrock
I've Been Here Awhile

I went to three Rogers stores today to try to replace our Nextbox 3.0 (9865HD) that has been freezing repeatedly over the past week (it seems to happen when using the guide).  Not one store had any in stock and no one could tell me when more were coming in.  They said no other stores in GTA West seemed to have them either.  What the heck Rogers?  Is cable TV not your business?  How can you be out of stock and no one knows when you are getting more?

It tells me that probably a lot of other people are suddenly wanting to change their Nextbox 3.0s also.

Did you guys do some kind of failed update that now causes the Nextbox to freeze when using the guide?

Fibe is looking better and better....  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Many of these sorts of issues are related to a poor signal at your home or in your neighbourhood.  Call Rogers and have them check your signal.  Also do a reboot if you haven't already.

Rogers are rolling out new Navigatr firmware this month, so it's possible that it could affect your particular area.  This would be especially true if the firmware didn't take properly on your NB3. When you do a reboot, it should take about 5-6 minutes.  If anything abnormal happens during the reboot (stalled numbers, etc), then you may have a signal or firmware download issue.

kalbrock
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks - have done multiple reboots (at least three reboots every 3-4 hours every evening this past week).  Rogers checked signal a few months ago and it was good.  Nothing unusual during reboots, no stalled numbers.  The box only crashes and freezes when using the guide.  Makes me think that if every store in our area (Bloor west, GTA) has no NB3s in stock, the firmware has not gone well in this area as you suggest.

JJ_TO
I've Been Around

Next Box 3.0 won't Boot and I can't get a replacement

This morning my Next Box 3.0 PVR stopped working.  It goes from the "boot" message to nothing to four lines every few minutes.  I called Rogers and after some testing was told to bring it to a dealer to get it replaced.  I brought it to one of the Rogers stores only to be told that they have none of the Next Box 3.0s in stock and that I would have to come back on Monday if I wanted a replacement.  I asked them if there were any other stores that I could go to tomorrow but was told that there were no units available in Scarborough - they knew because they were calling trying to get units.  I called a few locations anyway and they all said the same thing, they don't have any units and that they would be arriving on Monday.  

I guess my question is simply this, what is the point of renting a box from you guys if I can't get a replacement when mine breaks?  I don't really have time to try to track down a unit and I don't think it's right to expect people to go several days without TV when they are paying for it.  The real problem here is that the Walking Dead premiere is on on Sunday night.  Anyone who watches this show knows that everyone will be talking about it on Monday.  Negan, Lucille - need I say more?   Anyone know what I can do?

Thx,

JJ_TO

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry to hear.

When they did their "testing" did they check to ensure that the signal was good?

Many of these sorts of issues are related to a poor signal at your home or in your neighbourhood.  It's actually rare (but not impossible) for the NB3 to be the issue.  Call Rogers and have them check your signal.  Also do a reboot (unplug for a while and then replug) if you haven't already. Try again in the morning.

Rogers are rolling out new Navigatr firmware this month, so it's possible that it could affect your particular area.  This would be especially true if the firmware didn't take properly on your NB3. When you do a reboot, it should take about 5-6 minutes.  If anything abnormal happens during the reboot (stalled numbers, etc), then you may have a signal or firmware download issue. 

Also, the "----" on the front panel often indicates that the STB is not properly authorized. I assume they tried giving it a "hit" to re-activate it.

robindp
I'm an Advisor

Hello @JJ_TO,

When I was having health issues in 2015, Rogers dispatched a technician with a replacement box and saved me a trip to a Rogers Plus store.

Have you asked if this option is available to you?

To combine/add to what the others have said..

Its possible just a signal issue, that its not taking the update properly.
One thing you could try, is to plug it in, right where the signal comes into the house.. and see if it completes.  This would ensure the strongest signal to the box.

I would then try and give a call in, and see if as mentioned, you could get a tech out to exchange it for you.

NORMALLY, yes it shouldnt be an issue.  In most cases, you can just to to a store and swap, and they have stock.
There may be a stock issue at this particular time perhaps?  Generally this shouldnt happen though as least in my experience.

lsal78
I've Been Here Awhile

nextbox 8642

HDMI not working. All other outputs work. I have tried a few different cables. Any suggestions of how i can repair it? Thanks

gp-se
I'm an Advisor

@lsal78 Do you own the box, or is it rented from Rogers? If it's a rental you can swap it at a Rogers store. 

However if you own the box, have you tried using a different TV to test, perhaps a handshake issue with the box and your TV. 

lsal78
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes, I have tried another television.  And it's not a rental.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lsal78:

Since you've tried a different TV and also tried different cables and other ports on the back of the 8642 work, it's possible that the HDMI port on the 8642 is "broken". Have you tried holding the HDMI cable in firmly on the back of the 8642. It may take a few seconds for the "handshake" with the TV to take place, so be patient when attempting connections.

If you can't get it to work with HDMI, then you may need to resort to component video.

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between HDMI and Component?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jays77:

HDMI is digital, component video is analogue. 

HDMI requires one cable for audio and video. Component video, which is 3 cables, requires two analogue audio cables, or an optical cable or a coaxial audio cable.

Although HDMI and CV can both carry 1080P signals, CV outputs on most devices are typically limited to 1080i max.

HDMI can carry HD audio, like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA or Multi-Channel-PCM.  Coaxial audio and Optical audio cable cannot. Analogue audio can't even carry DD or DTS or 2Ch-PCM like the previous two.

HDMI can carry 4k video currently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_comparison

When properly calibrated, you are unlikely to see significant differences between the two when fed 720P, 1080i TV signals like from a Rogers STB...

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Thanks. 

I think I understand about half or your explanation which is a lot more than I knew before and is probably more than I need to know.  As long as when I turn on my TV and get both picture and sound I'm happy.  Smiley Very Happy

Fridrik
I Plan to Stick Around

recording option does not show when I try to record a show

when I try to record a show all I see in menu is "set as reminder" at top." Record this show and record series" do not show in menu. How do I get it to show?

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Now there is a new one - never heard of that one in the over two years of this box - and I thought I had seen everything.

As far as I know, it has no way to change a setting. When you push record, just set the recording, or start the current recording.

The set a reminder is usually found on future shows in the guide - third one down after record this program, record series, then next is set a reminder.

I would suggest rebooting the box by unplugging, or through the settings, troubleshooting menu, or rest box on My Rogers and see if it reloads the menu properly.

And run it by tech support if it continues - may need a factory reset, but you would lose all recordings and scheduled recordings though.

Let us know what you learn.  This box is always a bit of a magical mystery tour at times.

Bruce

Fridrik
I Plan to Stick Around
Turns out that, despite clearly stating that I wanted PVR and being told no store had them in stock, they compounded their his fiasco by giving me a nextbox that doesn't have recording capability. 6 phone calls later Rogers finally said they would send a tech with proper next boxes and offered profuse apologies. The saga continues!

That was my first thought when i saw your post yesterday (didnt get a chance to reply).

When the tech comes out, and they go to install the box... try and push for them to install the 9865, and not the 8642.  
The 9865 preforms leaps and bounds over the other.