Nextbox only showing 720 and not 1080

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Nextbox only showing 720 and not 1080

I noticed that on my HD TV that it is only showing every channel in 720.  Even when I go to the HD channels in the 500s, all I get is 720.  I thought that all the HD channels in the Nextbox 3.0 are displayed in 1080.  Is there a setting that I am over looking on the box?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox only showing 720 and not 1080

Oldyellr is asking, just so we know what boxes you have

(as ontario is CISCO and out east is motorola)

I know of the CISCO nextboxes, under SETTINGS then appearance, then TV mode, there is settings in there.

Should be 720, 1080i and 1080p.
There were some issues with 1080p in the past, but the latest firmware fixed those, as far as i am aware.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Where are you located?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Oldyellr is asking, just so we know what boxes you have

(as ontario is CISCO and out east is motorola)

I know of the CISCO nextboxes, under SETTINGS then appearance, then TV mode, there is settings in there.

Should be 720, 1080i and 1080p.
There were some issues with 1080p in the past, but the latest firmware fixed those, as far as i am aware.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Also, Hamilton was having problems transitioning from Shaw to Rogers.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I am located in Orangeville, ON.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

This was it!  It was set at 720 this whole time.

Thanks for the info.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Some things to remember about this topic.    Most HD channel broadcasts are trasnmitting from the broadcaster at 720P and some (fewer) at 1080i.    When you set your NB2 and NB3 to either one of these settings depending on the broadcaster the Rogers box is doing conversion to send out image based on your setting.   The NB3 unit has the ability to choose 1080P as well but it wasn't working properly and even when it does, I believe it is limited to 30P and not 60P (refresh rate) which is what your TV will operate at.

The older 8300HD units with older software displayed the output at whatever the input broadcaster so if the channel was at 720P it would stay that way or 1080i as well and you could see this on the front display on the unit.  The NB2 and NB3 changed this to one output format depending on your settings.

Most large screen TV's, projectors and other HD display technologies are operating at 1080P at 60 Hz refresh.   Whatever comes into the TV display device it will upconvert to that resolution before displaying it.   The setting you choose on the Rogers unit will not make much of a difference but whichever of these units does the best upconversion job you can test and see the results.

Only blue-ray players and some streaming services like YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc can actually display output at 1080P.    Soon Neflix will offer 4K as well.   Only blu-ray discs actually carry high-resolution high quality images and sound.  The streaming services, although they might transmit at 1080P are actually sending a very compressed signal for both video and audio so the actual quality is much lower than it would seem and not as good as blu-ray discs.   It's the only way they can reduce the streaming bit rate to something people can tolerate on their internet subscriptions (ie. about 7 Mbits / sec).  

Highlighted
I've Been Around

It's 2016. How do we not have 1080p already? Especially considering how much we pay for cable.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Some networks (like CTV) broadcast 1080i, while others (like CBC) broadcast 720p. Nothing to do with Rogers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but even though the Nextbox can be set to 1080p, Rogers only does 1080i and at one time the Nextbox had problems if set to 1080p.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Correct, you can set the nextboxes to 1080p..

BUT, as your correct again.. its all up to what the broacasters actually send out.

Even if rogers themselves were to UPSCALE everything to 1080p, if some of the broacasters are sending to rogers at 720p.. its not going to get any better..