Nextbox not outputting in 16:9

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Nextbox not outputting in 16:9

I have had cable for a number of months now and when I subscribed received both the main Nextbox 3.0 unit and another unit for a second TV. I have only just now decided to use the second box but it seems as though it is only wanting to output in 4:3 format and not in 16:9 like the main box. I have HD channels as part of my subscription. I have the second box hooked up to my PC running Windows Media Center if that matters.

Any thoughts?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox not outputting in 16:9

Your 2nd box... which exact one is it?
That you say NEXTBOX... i am guesing the 2nd one is a Cisco 4642??

That you have it connected to your MEDIA CENTER.. its connected via the coax tv cable OUT of the box, then into your media center?
THAT would by why its only 4:3.
The coax out, and composite out.. only output in SD, 4:3

For HD to be outputed (and in 16:9), you need to connect via HDMI or component.
To do this into a media center.. requires one of the SPECIALTY tuners with the HD inputs.

While some media center tuners, are set up to TUNE HD Digital signals.. they can not decode the ones sent across the rogers lines by itself (why the box is needed in the first place)... BUT it doesnt output that same signal out the coax out, etc.
Its a steped down SD version.. mostly for the older TVs, etc that dont have the HD connections.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your 2nd box... which exact one is it?
That you say NEXTBOX... i am guesing the 2nd one is a Cisco 4642??

That you have it connected to your MEDIA CENTER.. its connected via the coax tv cable OUT of the box, then into your media center?
THAT would by why its only 4:3.
The coax out, and composite out.. only output in SD, 4:3

For HD to be outputed (and in 16:9), you need to connect via HDMI or component.
To do this into a media center.. requires one of the SPECIALTY tuners with the HD inputs.

While some media center tuners, are set up to TUNE HD Digital signals.. they can not decode the ones sent across the rogers lines by itself (why the box is needed in the first place)... BUT it doesnt output that same signal out the coax out, etc.
Its a steped down SD version.. mostly for the older TVs, etc that dont have the HD connections.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Wow, thank you! That seems to answer my question to a T

I guess I assumed that since the signal was coming in through the coax cable in HD that it could then output that way as well.

Yes, the box is the Cisco 4642 and it is connected to my PC via the coax.

Oddly enough, I tried hooking this second box up to my main TV and I actually got it to display correctly by setting the TV type to 4:3 SDTV oddly enough. Not HD, mind you but 16:9 at least.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sometimes the FEED can vary as well.

Many SD feeds, are broadcast in a PSUDO 16:9... that they give a 4:3 picture.. but have black top/bottom so you can ZOOM out to make it look right.

Could also be, that if you are doing it coax into the TV.. the TV is stretching to a 16:9, not a true proper one.