Nextbox getting worse?!?!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Nextbox getting worse?!?!

Agreed moosetamer. My box last updated on Friday and since then, the lag hasbeen getting worse. I am honestly on the edge of cuttibg my cable with Rogers for good and go with another cable provider. There is no excuse about this.
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I never complained about the lag until now: IT. IS. SLOW.

When I press a button on the remote (e.g. change channels), it seems to take a few seconds just for the PVR to respond.

Then it take a few more seconds for the channel number to appear on the screen ... digit by digit ...

And scrolling through the Guide is now so painful ... 

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

It is slow. Honestly my patience with Rogers is limited. I gave them enough time to fix all this out but they are either lazy or do not know how to hire proper devs to get the updates rolling out better & have no slowness or any other issue like this. I can understand nothing is perfect but this? This is beyond not perfect not can this be any good. The slowness needs to be adressed & no Rogers Manager or rep that works there can say anything. Its funny how other companies can but Rogers cant...  There is no excuse anyone can give me to be the reason why this is happening. Its a pain when you press fast forward & press play it wont stop & u keep hitting play to stop. Its a pain when the guide is really slow & you only have options to hide once channel at time. Who thought of this :/... The hole IPG is not even written out properly so they can call it the best.. They need to start thinking about the " best" before saying it...

My GF & family members are considering to change from Rogers to another cable provider. Its getting to that point. I do not care what others say but i see what i see. I wont sit around waiting for Rogers to take its time fixing the problem. The problem should have never even be here.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I thought I was the only one noticing a 1 to 2 second lag imputing anything on my PVR , but  I also would like that immediacy returned for the minor tweaks received. How about some warning that updates are forthcoming and the resulting benefits.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

The other thing I just noticed is that you can no longer tell if the box is on or off unless you go into the settings and turn off the display while in standby. Before you could tell if it was on or off easily since it would have certain visual cues next to the time. Now it looks the same on or off. I see the time with the timer circle to the left at all times. Another fail in my book. I don't want to sound vengeful or anything, but I can honestly say that all these issues have resulted in a sharp decline in sales of rogers boxes by yours truly. I work for an independent electronics store which has been around for 52 years. I have never had so many issues with any provider that we dealt with in my 22 years with the company. I used to say that I love rogers and switched many customers from the more compressed satelite services. I do that less and less. The feedback here, my own issues and how rogers dealt with them, along with the horrible issues our clients have with the new boxes have forced me to change my opinion. I will still sell the boxes if I have to, but I will not go out of my way to do it anymore. BTW, as a retailer, it is not much easier either dealing with them. We have been without a rep for months. Our store has 3 pvrs, one of them is the 8642, and we still can't even demo the new guide because rogers can't seem to get their act together. We have been waiting for it since it was released in my city some 6 months ago. You would think that a cable company trying to sell a new guide would want it actually on display. Anyways, I'm still going to stay with rogers because I know that eventually they will fix most of these things. Plus, as I said before, I'm not going with the other guys because rogers still looks way better. End of rant.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Mouse tamer: on the front of your box, you dont have up to 3 thing on when it's on?

There should be the time/channel, the whole home pvr house icon if you have that, and the power light. With it off, time would show, house icon would show, but the power off. The house and power are right beside each other so from a distance are hard to tell (I can't tell from in bed)

I have noticed that with the overnight reboot lately, the power light is on in the am, even though the box is off.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Not any more. Now it is just the circle on the left and time at all times, on and off. Happened after the last update. All was fine until then. Minor issue compared to the rest lol
I'm Here A Lot

The response from my next box has been running extra slow for the lase few days. It's driving me crazy.

I cant believe that I got a call from their customer service to see if I'm happy with their service. When I told him I'm not, I was immediately put on hold. Unbelievable!!!!!!

I'm upset off enough to switch to Bell.

**edited for content**

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I hate to be the poor dude/dudette trying to demonstrate the Nextbox at a Rogers Store to potential customers ... I think I'll be extremely embarrased.

That said, comments at another forum (digitalhome.ca) claim that Cisco is probably more to blame than Rogers, as Cisco is responsbile for writing the firmware.

Is this true? Are we slagging the wrong people?

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I was amazed when I installed Nextbox in my home.   I have also the Scientific America box which I purchased a couple of years ago, and moved it to a secondary viewing site in my home.   It is far superior in providing for what I want. 

The response time is so slow ... just to browse down the menu of recorded programs takes a second with each click.   Moving from viewing live TV to recorded programs can take up to 4 seconds.   It is infuriatingly slow.  In this day and age, I would not accept that kind of response even on the internet ...   and this is stuff that the Cisco 8642 is all doing internally within itself.   My goodness ... if any computer programmmer developed such an inept product ... it would never be released to the public .... and they would be fired for wasting their time in developing a program with such poor response time.  Users are irritated. 

In the USA they use TIVO ... and you can purchase the box for about $100.   We can purchase a DVR in Canada for about $40.   The hardware is dirt cheap ... and yet Rogers charges us $500 for it.   And for that price ... they don't even provide a quality product.  If Cisco messed this thing up ... then Rogers should immediately develop another supplier relationship who will fix it. 

And the whole question about Roger's pricing practices of charging $500 for a piece of hardware which is only worth $100 in a competitive world should be an issue for the CRTC who supposedly monitors the pricing which this monopoly can charge. 

I'm going to move my Scientific America box back to my main viewing area ... and demote the Cisco box to secondary site.   And my daughter who just moved .... will be buying Satellite TV.