cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nextbox disappointment

Ryan007
I'm Here A Lot

Another unhappy cable customer!! We've had nextbox since early April and have had problems to this day. We had our 5th technission here this morning to "solve" our ongoing issues like not having channels available, pause/resume/ff issues, scrambling of audio/video, recording problems, reseting of boxes daily, super slow respone time, pvr list issues.. It goes on and on...
After our 2nd pvr replacement today (weve lost over 100+ hours of recordings) as well as tweaking with cables again the issues are still occurring..
What a downgrade from our "older" Rogers service..
You would think with Rogers releasing this service so late in comparison to other companies they would have had plenty of time to release something more polished and not treat there customers like giny pigs

***Edited labels***

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Nextbox disappointment

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While this doesnt solve your issue.. just wanted any others that read this to be aware, that not EVERY nexbox user experiences this.  There are ALOT that come on here with these issues, i will not argue that, and it is DEFINATELY something that rogers needs to fix.

But there are alot of users (myself included), which does not have 95% of these problems.

Unless you are using the whole home PVR, you can contact rogers, and have them downgrade the software on the box, back to the old guide.

Ryan007
I'm Here A Lot
Yes, I know a couple people who don't have the problems we have minus the typical slow boxes/software, no slow motion option, not having mobile control etc.
Unfortunalty we are on the whole home pvr setup and now there is talks of a new cable needed to go underground possibly to the outside signal.
It seems like alot of trouble to get my boxes to do what they are advertised to do.

That is comming up more.. and kinda understandably.

In many places, the cable lines underground, can be 20+ years or older.  Many of them were not shielded that way, and even just over time are not as good anymore.. they just cant handle the stronger signal load, required by the increased channel demand (more HD) the new guide, internet, home phone, etc.

I had to have the lines outside at my place replaced.

Luckily, rogers does not charge US for the replacement of these lines.

Ryan007
I'm Here A Lot
Yes, I understand it's probably time to upgrade cables in many 60's and 70's homes. Its Disappointing that I'm 4+months into our nextbox experience and now were just starting to talk about things that MAY correct this service. These sort of things Rogers should of had a handle on straight away or really a long time before this new system was allowed to be released.
Rogers is close to losing my business when my cell contracts/ Internet contract expire without some serious good will.

This is not an excuse or saying rogers is not at fault, but a possible explanation.

It probably comes downt to a time/vs money thing.   In the end, it would be very costly, for them to check EVERYONES lines, especialy when not everyone is no nextbox.
Yes, they could do this, just for people signing up.
But sometimes, these things dont appear till afterwards.. i had much the same, got it and it was working fine for quite a while, then started to have issues... which required a new line from the street.

Its a HUGE process to have this done.. the technicians, can come and run a new line from the street, no problem, to make sure that fixes it.   BUT.. to get that cable burried.. they have to have people come out (not sure if theirs, or town/city people) to mark where the cables are under the ground, to make sure that another one isnt cut in the process.  Then they have to get the team out to burry the line.  If your like me, its not to bad, the box is on my property, straight line.  But if not, this can require often drilling or pushing under driveways, etc.. Its a fairly big procedure (that happend at my inlaws like 6 years ago, they have a 60 year old home).

Again, not making an excuse.. but i can understand why, they do it on a case to case basis.  The regular people you talk to on the phone, can not do much... but when you talk to them, say you unsatisfied, and wish to talk to someone, about your loss of service, etc.   Retentions might be able to do something for you.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
Luckily when the guy came to install my WHPVR he checked the signal level.. Sadly he didn't know how to properly install the filters on the line and it did not work..

I too have exchanged a few of these new cisco brand digital boxes.. It took a few tries but these ones seem to be ok so far..

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Must have been new or not trained properly.. even I knew where the filter had to go 😛

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
I questioned him on it when he attached 2 filters one to each digital box.. it didn't make sense to me as I thought it was supposed to filter it from leaving your house to your neighbors... But he just said to me "No it goes on each line with a digital box so it doesn't mess with your home phone and internet.. Don't try to confuse me!"

Am I right in thinking it is just 1 filter on the line that comes into the house?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You are correct pretty much.

LIke you said, the filter is there, to prevent the box being viewable by anyone else, unfiltered as well. (our tech, when they were being trained, set one up without it.. and was able to see a box like 10k away at another rogers training center!).

Unlike a BELL filter, which has to go onto every device, to filter out the extra noise from the opened up line..

This one is to keep the stuff from getting OUT.

My house is set up as follows.

Line from street to house.
Outside house, splits into 2, two lines comming in.
One line, is then split, one for internet, one for home phone.  No filter or anything here or outside.
Then from the other line comming in, there is the filter, then the splitter going off to the TVs.

(I also have a power booster in theres somewhere with the TVs)

Weither this is the CORRECT way or not.. it has worked and never had a problem with it.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

Cool that is pretty much how mine is now setup now that I have changed it. Only difference is my home phone is inside the filtered feed and not on the internet feed. I tried phoning out and calling in and it seemed to be ok..

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It probably WOULDNT effect it.. since the likely use a very different part of the overall bandwidth available on the cable, as so that they dont interfear with each other.

Probably one of those 'better safe than sorry' things having it outside  the loop.