cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nextbox 4K PVR vs. Nextbox 3 PVR

nkay
I Plan to Stick Around

Thinking of jumping up to a 4K TV soon. I know there's not a lot channels available, but want to upgrade my equipment anyway. I'm also getting worried about my current Nextbox 3 PVR as it's starting to make mechanical noises and worried it will die soon.

Is the Nextbox 4K essentially the same PVR, same software etc.. as the Nextbox 3 PVR, except for the ability to record 4K? Or are there different features,strange issues, things missing from Nextbox 3 etc.. to worry about?

***Edited Labels***

54 REPLIES 54

Re: Nextbox 4K PVR vs. Nextbox 3 PVR

RogersCorey

Good afternoon @nkay,

Thanks for reaching out today! I'd be happy to answer your question here.

In this case, the 4K PVR is for all intents and purposes the same as the Nextbox 3.0 except it has the ability to access 4K content.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @nkay

The only difference is that the 4K PVR box is a newer model made by Technicolour vs the NextBox 3.0 is made by Cisco ( Technicolour owns Cisco). Also the difference as well is u can view 4K containt on The 4K PVR box and record 4K sports or shows vs on the NextBox 3.0 u can not do that.

I also noticed the 4K PVR box is a bit faster then the NextBox 3.0.

I would go with the 4K PVR box for sure.

pmcsplaza
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I am thinking of upgrading to that box as a new TV is on the horizon. Question, will a 4K TV work OK with the NextBox 3.0 (minus the 4K channels of course)?

Peter
Toronto

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @pmcsplaza

Yes it will! It will work exactly like the NextBox 3.0 but without the 4K containt to watch and record in 4K. It will be just a normal PVR box with the extra 4K feature if needed later on.

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

I think what @pmcsplaza was asking was whether or not a 4K TV would function with a Nextbox 3.0. The answer is definitely yes, minus the 4K channels of course. We know from experience, having bought a 4K TV before exchanging our Nextbox 3.0 for the 4K PVR. It should also be noted that the 4K PVR has double the storage over Nextbox 3.0 - 2 TB vs 1 TB.  

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @pmcsplaza

Yes that is correct. My mistake I read it wrong. Of course the 4K PVR box will work with the NextBox 3.0 without any issues!?:).

pmcsplaza

LOL, thanks.

Peter
Toronto

pmcsplaza

@Dugi wrote:

I think what @pmcsplaza was asking was whether or not a 4K TV would function with a Nextbox 3.0. The answer is definitely yes, minus the 4K channels of course. We know from experience, having bought a 4K TV before exchanging our Nextbox 3.0 for the 4K PVR. It should also be noted that the 4K PVR has double the storage over Nextbox 3.0 - 2 TB vs 1 TB.  

2 TB - I didn't realise, nice 😉   Does it still accept an external drive?

Peter
Toronto

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @pmcsplaza

Yes it does! But you have to talk to Rogers to get the correct one as not all external HD will work

pmcsplaza

It's a WD drive made specifically as a PVR extender.  Can't remember the exact model offhand without disconnecting it.

This one I think:  Western Digital My Book DVR Extender

Peter
Toronto

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @pmcsplaza

From what i know and believe that one is fine to work with the 4K PVR box 🙂

pmcsplaza

Thanks 😉

Peter
Toronto

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @pmcsplaza

You are welcome 🙂

pmcsplaza

I forgot to ask, asked before but want to be sure on this score.  The Technicolor box only has a single HDMI output, correct?   No extra one for older audio systems?  Looks like I'm going to have to listen to cable using my 4K BR Player as the link for audio as it will have full 4K HDR/HDCP pass-through HDMI in and out.....when I get it.....

Peter
Toronto

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @pmcsplaza

That is correct. It only has 1 HDMI output. It has 1 HDMI output, your usualy red and white audio out and yellow video out. Also a optical out port as well.

pmcsplaza

Thanks.  Going to be awkward for me as I can't afford a new sound system a.t.m. so using the new Oppo UDCP-203 BR player I intend to buy next I hope to regain my audio-video control abilities on my Bose system.  The BR player has HDMI in which means it would have to always be on when watching TV, oh well.  Beggars can't be choosers as they say.  (Some beggar...!)

Peter
Toronto

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@pmcsplaza:

Be aware that in these early stages of 4K, there are lots of handshake issues between equipment, especially when trying to go "through" another device like you expect to do.  You may not be satisfied with that configuration if the handshake doesn't proceed well and you're constantly rebooting or getting 720P instead of 4K, etc.  Many of these issues have been discussed in the various 4K threads.

You may wish to consider using the optical out port for your audio system instead of trying to go "through" the player.

pmcsplaza

It's an older Bose Lifestyle system and does have a TOSlink output from TV input.  I use that mainly for Netflix movies using ther Smart TV menu but I suppose it could be used for other purposes....if  it will work.  I'll have to play around.

I think that sound output only works for stuff sourced by the TV itself.

Peter
Toronto

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@pmcsplaza wrote:

It's an older Bose Lifestyle system and does have a TOSlink output from TV input.

You mean Bose Input, TV output.  Most recent TVs allow for "passthrough" of incoming signals (say from HDMI), but not all.  You need to configure the TV to output audio signals to an external device instead of using the TV speakers (as you've probably already done if you're using it for Netflix, etc.)  There may be another TV User Audio Setting required for Dolby Digital, instead of PCM.

pmcsplaza

Yes I meant that, sorry.   The BR player I'm hoping to add has an HDMI input (4k pass-through) that is also ARC-capable.   So a major think has to be done here in order to keep my current Audio setup and which relies on a TV-displayed menu to select components. and the new 4K player and TV.

Of course a lottery win would come in very handy and then I could upgrade to the Bose Lifestyle 650 and all my problems disappear.

We can all dream I suppose.

Peter
Toronto