Nextbox 3 losing Dolby Digital using Optical cable

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maverick72
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Nextbox 3 losing Dolby Digital using Optical cable - POSSIBLE WORKAROUND

I'm off HDMI altogether and although not perfect it seems a lot more stable since I've done that.  Almost same equipment as you - 9865 stb, Panasonic 1080p plasma, Denon avr.  I'm now using optical for digital audio and component for video... Not saying there are not still issues even under this config, but in my observation it's been "better".  Btw, I'm only using my Denon for the audio stream, video is direct connect from stb to tv, no pass through.

chelvashan
I've Been Around

Hi,

I have the common problem on netbox 3.0 with audio drop, and frequent power off and booting itself sometimes twice to restore back.

Tech Rogers came and advised us to use the component cable through my LG SOUND  system which does not cater for that. I cannot use my LG LCD TV AS AN alternate because it has a problem with volume uncontrallable. So I have disabled its volume control and using the LG dvd tuner amplifer 5.1 sound system to control the volume

Rogers seems to be care free about this problem and have not taken the issue seriously. They said once it is a HDMI connection problem not belonging to Rogers responsiblity and catered by a outside vendor.

I am unable to accept this solution and since I am a longstanding Rogers customer hope the company will find the cause of the problem and solve it in due course.

I am helpless. Any idea to overcome this problem. I enjoy the 3d sound and the rest of the features of the Rogers 3.0 but not the audio drop which is irritable and comes at a time when some important recording and viewing is going on.

Thanking for your help

shan Shanmugadasan

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately for the 5.1 to 2.0 drop there is no solution / fix outside of rebooting the box.

I have heavily talked with many here and on other forums re: this.

Really all we can do is wait on Rogers/Cisco to fix this. They are aware (have commented on it that it's been passed internally).

Square
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Nextbox 3 losing Dolby Digital using Optical cable

Does "Flagged internally" mean written on a napkin and thrown in the trash???   Soon another 6 months gone and I haven't heard a word from Rogers about a fix!    Are the techs at Rogers and Cisco so incompetent, or was it thrown out like I said???

Also I don't appreciate customer care calling me a liar about this issue!!!  

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Square

You can contact Rogers via Facebook and Twitter @RogersHelps and they should be able to reply back unless a mod replies back here.

As for customer service representatives. Some of them are not aware of issues or Rogers saying things on here so thus why they call customers liers which is wrong so when speaking to them, direct them to this thread.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox 3 losing Dolby Digital using Optical cable (and/or HDMI)

I received the latest firmware a couple of days ago and rebooted just to be sure of a "clean start."  I was hoping that the switching to PCM issue would be fixed with the latest firmware (4.0.2.0105), unfortunately, it has not been resolved.

Shame on you Rogers and Cisco. This has been going on for almost a year and is a signficant pain for all of your customers wishing to have proper surround sound, and even for those using TVs for audio, since the switch still happens and the customer gets a 16kHz tone (or no audio at all) on their TV or AVR when it happens.

The only way to get out of PCM is to do a reboot. Using "other" audio format is not acceptable!  I do not have an AVR and 8 speakers to listen to 2-channel PCM (even if I can invoke Dolby Pro Logic II)

Square

Re: Nextbox 3 losing Dolby Digital using Optical cable (and/or HDMI)

Lol, at least you received the new firmware.   Here in Waterloo Region we get everything LAST, can't even upgrade the local channel to HD!   Anyway, I have 2 tickets open for this issue, once a week I get a recording phone call that they are looking into the problem.  These tickets are from April and these phone calls are starting to annoy me.    When I receive the new firmware and the problem exists, time to call the Office of the President  AGAIN!!!!

Square

Ya I contacted both Twitter and Facebook,  basically both called me a liar and this issue doesn't exist.

I have come to the conclusion that the people that work for Rogers, either have Bell or other equipment.   Otherwise I can't believe that nobody who works for Rogers has ever had this issue!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not everyone has a sound system, so may not have encountered it.

Early on in this, i didnt beleive that i was having it.  Upon further testing.. i was able to confirm that i WAS.
But only via having the SS on the whole time... or via how i did, having the SS info page up for hours while watching to see it change over.

The above, was the only way i was able to confirm it happening.
I DO have a surround sound... BUT, generally for normal TV watching, i DO NOT use it.

My surround sound is set for HDMI passthrough... so passes stuff onto the TV.

I myself have NOT noticed the freqency issue (yes, i might not be able to hear it, but likely my 3 year old would, or the 2 cats or the dog), and nothing seems to be effected... nor have had a full drop..... BUT.. it could be, at least for THOSE effects, that the HDMI passthrough is filtering that out.

Not saying that this IS NOT an issue.. it obviously still is.. and obviously still needs to be fixed.
Just saying, there are people who may not have noticed it, heard it, etc.. all dependant on their setup.

digigraphx
I'm Here A Lot

I am using the Yamaha RXV571 surroundsound receiver and an optical cable as well as HDMI from the NB 3. I have 2 inputs for optical. Currently audo signal is set to direct and enhaned when switching to ether optical opticl input speakerconfiuration (Front panel on Yamaha) indicates front, center channel and surround sound speakers are working but rear speakers are not. I have the HD package from Rogers.

I rebooted my box last night becase it is still changing from DD to PCM. the NB menu setting is set to Dolby and when someone at Rogers suggested I set it to other, it immediatly changed from Dolby to PCM.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

digigraphx