Nextbox 3 losing Dolby Digital using Optical cable

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox 3 losing Dolby Digital using Optical cable

The Switching issue still does exist 😞 (though some have found its LESS frequent though)

Switching the setting to other, AUTO sets it to PCM.
I beleive, i have mine on NORMAL (whatever the default is), and when it hasnt switched to PCM, and is still on DD, it does show the 5 channels properly.

(i am running a fairly new yamaha receiver as well.. not quite sure on the model, not at home right now)

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

digigraphx:

I have a Denon AVR-X2000 and connect it via HDMI. The Denon showed 5 channels when I had a NB 3 that was set to Dolby. I no longer have the NB 3 and my Denon gets all 5 channels from an SA8300HD PVR, also over HDMI.

digigraphx
I'm Here A Lot

I'm wondering if in the settings for the PVR if it should be set to normal as opposed to wide.I just figured "wide" would be more compatable to a 7 speaker surround settup. It was also suggested I set audio to "fixed" rather than "variable".

Any thoughts on this?

digigraphx

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The narrow/wide/normal setting is an indication of dynamic range - the difference between the loudest and quietest passages in what you're watching. This has no effect on the switching to PCM issue if it's a problem for you.  Most audiophiles would use the "wide" setting because that gives the most dynamic range available in the original material.

The Fixed/Variable setting also has no effect on the PCM issue.

The only "fix" I've found is to reboot my 9865 before going to bed each night and this allows me to watch up to about 8-10 programmes the next night before it again switches to PCM.  Make sure nothing is recording, or about to record before rebooting.

Some people may not have issues because their equipment firmware is compatible with the firmware in the 9865, or some people may not even notice when it switches because they are not audiophiles and are happy as long as audio comes from their systems.  Some people even have the issue when connected directly to a TV - they get a 16kHz tone on the TV, which only young people (or electronic equipment) can hear/measure.  Switching to "other" on a TV may preclude the issue, at least most of the time.  Some people have even lost audio completely with the 9865 has switched to PCM - reboot required to get audio back.

Switching to "other" for people who wish to hear discrete DD5.1 (proper surround sound) as it was intended, is not an option as the signal is deteriorated and the discrete signals disappear when the DD5.1 signal is converted to PCM by the 9865.  I have tested this on programming, such as movies where the audio is supposed to come from specific speakers.

The only way to get proper DD5.1 back after the unit has switched to PCM is with a reboot.  Neither the 8300HD, nor the 8642 have this problem.

digigraphx
I'm Here A Lot

Hi,

Received your reply. Unfortunately my 8300 hard drive died but you're right about the audio. I had it for 4 years and the audio output always read Dolby.

As for the settings my initial audio setup was right in being range being set to "Wide" and output set to "Variable". I set it to fixed at the suggestion of a Rogers rep. I did this in thinking it is their equipment  they may know something. But it has been my opinion for a long time you can speak to 5 people there and get 5 different answers. Also all reps should be trained properly, in this case in video and audio, signal and equipment and may be hooked up to achieve things like surroundsound. 

digigraphx

Square
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I will repost what I wrote on the Digital Home Forum. Mine is still worse than ever, just like you, mine happens twice, even after rebooting. I have now spoken to someone from the Office of the President 2 times in the last 3 months, they say that this issue is top priority at Cisco. Having my doubt about that! Next time I call, going to ask for another free NB3, so one will be for watching recordings, the other one for live programming.   Also with the weekly Friday and Tuesday update where this mighty and powerful Nextbox 3 and less powerful Nextbox become unresponsive that I have to do another reboot garbage, I really am reaching my breaking point!!

digigraphx
I'm Here A Lot

I think I may have stumbled on something that may? save you from rebooting the NB. After your reboot the audio (in preferences) is set to read Dolby. If you change to other and save it immediatly changes to PCM, then change it back to Dolby. If you do this every once in a while you may not have to reboot or at least quite as often. Let me know.

digigraphx

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Firmware 5.0.0.0123, was recently downloaded to my 9865.  I rebooted once right after that.  I have not had the switching to PCM issue since then, which was 3 days ago. I have not rebooted for 3 nights.  This is a good sign, although I'm not jumping up and down with glee just yet.

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

57:

That's excellent news! Did you notice any audio drop outs or is that not an issue for you?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Audio dropouts were not an issue for me, except for one programme several months ago - Cosmos on Discovery.  Most people reported fewer dropouts with Firmware 4.0.2.0105, back in June already.

I watched more programming last night, so that makes 4 nights without a reboot. I'm cautiously optimistic.