Nextbox 3 losing Dolby Digital using Optical cable

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Square
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Nextbox 3 losing Dolby Digital using Optical cable

Jimboden and others:

Let me clarify my situation.  My AVR only supports optical and Digital Coaxial.  The NB3 only supports optical.  All my other setups playstation 3, computer connected all to my AVR using optical cables, the 8642, the 8300 used the optical cable on my AVR without any problems.  Now with the NB3, I will lose my 5.1, it goes to 2 channel pro logic and is very loud!  This usually happens once a day, yet Rogers says it's my AVR??!  I've read other people with the same problem, yet they close my ticket because nobody else is having the problem??  They need to hire a person to read these forums and send the info to the engineers.

Also I'am on the new 4.0.130 software, the problem still exists.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox 3 losing Dolby Digital using Optical cable

Just an UPDATE to the overall Audio issues with the NB3.

• Dolby Digital to PCM drop - looses DD5.1 and switches to PCM2.0, often requiring a reboot to fix.
  • High pictched noise in a high frequency range - seemed to happen at the same time.

There is a new update currently being pushed out to the NB3s.

From some reports from a few other forums with users who have received this update, it appears that the droping issue, has quite possibly been resolved.

One user has reported that the HDMI-CEC issue may have been fixed as well.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just checked mine.

Its on 4.0.0.129

Which i figured.. as i dont have the new recomendation thing, which is part of 130.

I am north of toronto, oposite side of the lake as barrie.

Square

Lol, this post got moved from the idea box to here.  From reading all these posts, I have never seen a member of Roger's Engineering Dept reading these posts.

Guess it's time to phone support every day, till I get a solution!!

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

I have the recommendation engine on a 4625, and I'm still on .123

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Only the social media team reads these forums unfortunately.. engineering, programers, etc should though as well, i agree

Square

@Gdkitty wrote:

Only the social media team reads these forums unfortunately.. engineering, programers, etc should though as well, i agree

I agree, it seems Rogers really doesn't care about this 35 year customer!

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Square:

I did use optical for a while on my NB 3 and, as long as the box was stable and hadn't been rebooted, I never had it switch from Dolby Digital to PCM. I've had the reverse problem where it switches from Other (PCM) back to Dolby Digital after a reboot. The setting in the audio menu still shows Other even though it's sending Dolby Digital. There's definitely something odd with the audio settings. And yes, PCM is a lot louder than Dolby Digital. My firmware is only at 4.0.0.123, though, so maybe yours is behaving differently with a newer version.

dcnwilliams
I've Been Around

The NB 3.0 is garbage.  Mine loses DD 5.1 and switches to prologic almost every other day.  I have to reboot the box in order to restore 5.1.  Despite software upgrades (which never go right, I have to manually reboot every time) the problem persists.  I normally have to reboot 3-4 times per week in order to get 5.1 back.  Never had this problem when I was with Bell, perhaps the hardware is not all it's made out to be.  They need to come out with a more reliable product than the 3.0.  Defiantely one of Cisco's worst lemons!  I was much happier with the 2.0 DVR, now I regret upgrading.

Hogwash
I'm a Senior Contributor

Cisco is a multinational company. There is no doubt in my mind that the NB3 functions perfectly when it operates using the VANILLA  factory issued firmware. Firmware instructs the hardware on how to interact/function properly. Poorly written firmware updates are without a doubt the root cause of the NB3's neverending problems.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
robinwood
I Plan to Stick Around

decided to watch 2 or 3 Hawaii 5 recorded last couple of weeks -
2 of the recordings showed Channel 3 global as source and the latest one 517 which is where it should have come from 

watched first one - and although there was nice big 5.1 logo on the screen - the AVR suddenly went into lpm 2 channel mode - -turned received on and off - no difference -
using optical input from 9865- 

after this

no channels would give 5.1 until I rebooted 9865 (from the settings menu) 

Oh yes,the usual number of drop outs throughout the evening - however these do not seem to change the 5.1 -just annoying blips 

so 
1 - two shows recorded on October recorded on the lower channels even when set to 
a higher 500 series 

2- playback on these lower recorded channels switched sound from 9685 to 2 channel sound LPM

Later (after the reboot) 
I went to another channel that was broadcasting dolby 2.1 - and the AFD on receiver 
indicated 2.1 (correct) - then back to 5.1 channel and it was 5.1 correct indicator on AVR

it is as though the 9865 sometimes goes into un-recoverable LPM mode 

however there is no option on 9865 to make this change (is there?) like a the ps3 or whatever .

oh yes - usual number of drop outs - does not however affect 5.1