Nextbox 3 losing Dolby Digital using Optical cable

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Re: Nextbox 3 losing Dolby Digital using Optical cable

robinwood:

Yes, there is an option to change the audio output. In the audio menu, you have Dolby Digital and Other as your 2 choices. Other is 2 channel Linear PCM. Change the setting and make sure you save it at the bottom of the screen. Be aware that, when the box is rebooted, the audio will go back to Dolby Digital if you're using Other, but the setting in the menu will still show Other. A similar problem exists with the Audio Range setting as well. If you're using Narrow, for example, a reboot sets it back to normal but the menu still shows Narrow.

The other issues you've described are all well known. I just came across the 500 series vs. lower channels a few days ago for the first time and I’ve had my NB 3 for 3 months. There recently was a firmware update which seems to be responsible for this behaviour. I’ve been plagued by audio drop outs since day 1 and I’ve swapped the box once. The odd thing about the drop outs is that they come and go. A reboot sometimes fixes them for a while, but they eventually come back. If you browse the TV forum, you'll find all kinds of people with issues.

Square
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Robinwood:

You might as well bang your head against the wall!    I have tried everything, now on my 4th NB3, still the problem exists, yet Rogers just keeps telling me nobody else has this problem!

Fn
I Plan to Stick Around

I loose my DD 5.1 very other day, and like everyone else is back on after a reboot. Called Rogers twice, tickets both closed because they can't find a problem and they say because no else reports it nothing is done! Do they lie when they say they've never heard of the problem? Or just incompetent? It's only one or the other. Everyone has to keep calling and reporting.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Although I"m using HDMI and not optical, several people on the Digital Home Canada forum have reported the issue of the NB3 (Cisco 9865) switching to PCM when you've set it to DD.  The issue seems to happen randomly and has happened to me almost every night since I've owned it - about a week.

Only a reboot restores DD.  Turning off the NB3 and/or AVR does nothing and neither does changing any of the audio settings on the NB3.  As reported, the audio also becomes much louder when the switch to PCM takes place, so it's not difficult to notice it.  Very sad situation and I thought I'd add my voice here to reinforce the fact that this is a major issue.  I'm on .131 firmware.  I have no such issues with my SA8300HD.  I would think that if this is restored with a reboot then it is a firmware problem, not a hardware problem.

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

57:

As much as I wanted to keep the Nextbox 3, after going through 2 boxes, I returned it. I have documented a list of bugs which have never been fixed. Some are an annoyance, but my main issue was audio drop outs. Not everyone has that problem, though. I went back to my trusty old 8300HD PVR and it has none of the Nextbox 3 issues. It also has a sharper picture than the Nextbox. When I got the Nextbox, I had to turn up the sharpness on my TV, which I didn't like because cranking up sharpness causes its own issues. I turned the sharpness way down when I went back to the 8300.

There is one hardware thing that bothered me as well. The hard drive temperature is around 52-54C which seems outrageous. I have the same 1TB Seagate drive in my computer and it runs at 30-32C.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hey! its 57! good to see you here 🙂

I have been posting as well in the thread 57 was talking about on the digital home forum.. been doing my own testing there as well.

I have found, at least in my current testing.. that mine DOES actualy go over to PCM. (whereas i thought it wasnt).

My only experiences so far though.. appears that mine DOESNT lock to PCM.. by switching out of a recording, to TV and back, etc.. it did switch back to DD for me... at least in my only two experiences with it happening so far.
Not to say, it may not lock up in the future though... i plan to do some more testing over the holidays.

(as i dont normally use the AVR the whole time.. its not as big as an effect for me)

dont remember if i wrote in this thread or not... in the idea box.. i have posted a thing, about them creating a PROPER bug reporting forum for these types of things.. one thing the specificaly devs/qa does look at, etc (or at least is forwarded on, etc).  If we get it some more attention.. may help in reporting bugs like this better in the future and to the right people.

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Gdkitty:

I like the Idea Box suggestion about reporting bugs. While I no longer have a Nextbox 3, I do have a list of all the bugs I found in one document. They've all been discussed here at different times and in different threads, so I thought a summary might be useful.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To ensure I didn't miss anything I have tried a different input on my AVR, a different HDMI cable and also an optical cable with the AVR set to receive the optical signal. The PCM issue still happened.

I am swapping my NB3 on Saturday December 21 at FS where I purchased it and will report back here with results in a few days.  If you wish, you can read a lot more details in the 9865 NB3 thread on Digital Home Canada.

robinwood
I Plan to Stick Around

I guess there are at least 4 of us in this forum with same issues -that is more than "no one else reported this!!"

I also suspect a lot of people dont notice if they are just watching tv and -not the great HD picture and Sound -being touted in all the advertising - if this issue is not being reported on US cable sites then it would appear the problem is not the box but the provider - 

robinwood
I Plan to Stick Around

oh yes happened again last night!