Nextbox 3 Signal Strength Readings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Re: Nextbox 3 Signal Strength Readings

So, how are you guys with audio problems doing right now? I've been keeping track of certain channels and signal strengths in a spreadsheet. Over the last few days, signal strengths have gone up significantly and I'm not having any audio issues. I have no idea why signal strengths have increased, but every channel I'm tracking has done the same thing. I have not called Rogers about the problem, but I guess it's possible something in my neighbourhood happened or some kind of change has taken place in the Nextbox. I haven't seen any reboots, though, aside from a couple I've done myself.

I've Been Around

We just got a Netbox 3.0 and are having the same audio dropout issues as mentioned here. The picture goes black on occasion as well.

Has anyone found a definitive cause and solution?

I'm an Advisor

nsabourin:

Unfortunately, there seems to be no consensus on what's causing this. I still get audio drop outs, but it's very random. I watch a very small number of channels, mostly TMN and HBO. I recorded and watched The Hobbit, which is almost 3 hours, and didn't have one glitch with it. On the other hand, I recorded a new 30 minute HBO series called Hello Ladies last weekend and its audio was awful. Drop outs happened every few seconds all the way through. Guess I should take it back to my local Rogers store and swap it, but others have done that and nothing changed. There's also a few other threads on thiis topic, which you might want to read if you haven't yet.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm still getting the sound breaking up too but a lot less often at least.  Rebooting fixes it.  Rebooting fixes a recording too!  At least for me it does.

I'm also getting a glitch at times where rewind on a channel I'm watching doesn't work, I just get a black screen, and/or trying to start a recording and I get a black screen, then it usually reboots on its own and fixes it.  If it doesn't reboot on its own, then manually rebooting fixes these problem too. 

For either one at least rebooting works, but pain in the butt if I'm recording something at the time though as it wrecks the recording.

I'm an Advisor

Not_A_Fan_74:

Thanks for posting that. I must admit I don't often reboot the box, but probably should based on your comments. I'm convinced there's some kind of basic problem with the NB3. This forum has a tiny number of Rogers customers, but an inordinate number have reported audio issues of one kind or another. One thing I've noticed, which may not be important, is that the hard drive temperature shown in my Service Menu is 52C. I have exactly the same Seagate drive in my computer and it runs around 32C. I realize that a computer, by its nature, has much better airflow, of course. 52C sounds extremely high to me, but maybe it's within design tolerances.

I'm an Advisor

Happened to be walking past my local Rogers store today and dropped in to discuss the audio problem. Not sure if the guy knew what he was talking about but, as soon as I told him I got my NB 3 on the first day they came out. he said bring it back and they'll do a swap. He said that he was aware of the problem and the more recent boxes are more up-to-date. Call me skeptical, but I'm going to take him up on his offer and do a swap tomorrow. Will report back here with results.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, give it some time and please let us know, thanks. Good luck. 🙂
I'm an Advisor

Did a box swap today. So much for it being more up-to-date as promised in the Rogers store. The HW and SW revision numbers are exactly the same as the old box and it has a manufacture date of July 2013. Just finished redoing all my settings, plus setting up new recordings. It will be interesting to see if the audio is any better. Fingers crossed. Smiley Indifferent

I'm an Advisor

I'm an Advisor

I managed to find a Cisco Understanding Diagnostic Screens PDF document for its cable boxes. It seems to be generic, but it appears to cover the Nextbox because the Service Menu documentation explains all the same screens I see in the Nextbox 3 Service Menu. It's well over 200 pages and is very interesting. I wanted to better understand my signal strength readings in the Service Menu and it turns out my readings are within a normal range. I've never been quite certain about this, but the manual really helped me understand it. In another thread today, I also posted that going into the Audio settings and changing Dolby Digital to Other seems to have fixed the audio drop out problem. Time will tell.