Nextbox 3 Signal Strength Readings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Re: Nextbox 3 Signal Strength Readings

Square:

Not sure what thread it's in, but here's what I remember. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds, unplug the unit and wait for another 5 seconds, plug unit back in and wait another 5 seconds. Please note that you have to keep the power button pushed in while doing these 3 steps. Let go of the power button when done. The box then does its thing. If I remember correctly, it goes through the reboot process at least twice, so it takes a while. Also, the person who posted this said that you'll lose all your settings, but mine were all intact, plus I did not lose any recordings or scheduled recordings. The hard reboot did nothing for me, however. I was hoping the audio problem might go away, but no luck.

I Plan to Stick Around

Jimboden,

Please let me know if exchanging your box makes a difference.  So tired of exchanging boxes and losing recordings.  This is a brand new box too!

I'm an Advisor

That's interesting and makes we wonder if the issue is signal strength related. When I started getting this problem again, I noticed in the service menu that the signal strength for 550 and 551 were lower than I had seen recently. Have you had a tech come out to look at the problem, or are you just going to a store and swapping the box? I wouldn't expect much help from people in the store and swapping boxes is like shooting in the dark. Before I do anything, I'm going to create a spreadsheet and start tracking signal strengths for the channels that I watch the most. After I collect a reasonable amount of data, I'll have a tech come out so we can look at it. I don't know if a tech can do anything about fluctuating signals for individual channels or whether they only look at signal strength entering the house. I have the older 8300HD PVR and never once in 9 years of owning it did I have this issue, and that includes 3 years living where I am now. Having said that, I occasionally got fluctuating volumes and echoes on channels 550 and 551 which have also occurred a couple of times on the NB 3. This suggests there's something odd about channels 550 and 551. Does your problem happen on a lot of channels or just a few?

I Plan to Stick Around

I can't help but think it's not the box as we were both having the problem at the same time, it went away at the same time and then it came back at the same time.  It has to be something out there.  Maybe you are onto something with signal strength?  I don't know how to read that myself.  Hoping it goes away again.

Is anyone else out there having this issue?  

There shouldn't be this many problems.  We paid more for the newest box to avoid issues. 

Does Rogers read this forum?  Can Rogers share any insight here?

I'm an Advisor

I'm not sure I'm understanding the signal strength properly, but the ones I posted I got from the service menu when I started this thread. I'm quite certain I've seen a big swing between the high and low readings, especially the dbmv reading. I have seen TMN channel 550 as low as in the 6 something range and as high as in the mid 10's. That strikes me as a major fluctuation, although maybe it's OK and I just don't know how to interpret the readings.

I started my spreadsheet today and the readings for the channels I'm tracking are very high. Some of the signals are so high they show up in yellow in the service menu. I'm going to collect data for a few days and watch for big swings. I'm doing this is so I can show what's happening to a tech when I get one to come out. Hopefully, something useful will come out of it.

I forgot to add that this problem rarely happens on other channels, like 509 Sportsnet360 HD, 518 CTV HD, and 523 CBS East HD. I may get the occasional tiny glitch, but nothing serious. I've also had zero problems with the On Demand 309 channel.

I Plan to Stick Around

jimboden,

How is your signal strength working today?  Did it go up?  Cuz it seems to be working properly, at least for me again, today. (phew!)

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Thanks jimboden.

Ya, same thing for me.  My new box is doing it still.  Very puzzling and annoying, guess I'll just have to keep rebooting the box.

I'm an Advisor

Not_A_Fan_74:

Signal strength was good yesterday. I just updated my spreadsheet for today and it's OK, although one channel yesterday (555) was 12.6 dbmv and today it's only 8.0 dbmv. I'm not certain what the different fields in the service menu mean, but there's one called Mhz, which I'm assuming means the Mhz frequency the channel is tuned to. It's interesting to watch it because the Mhz frequency by channel isn't always the same. For example, channel 555 was on frequency 399.000 when I looked at it yesterday, but today it's on 819.000. It's also the one I mentioned earlier which has a weaker signal strength today than yesterday. Also, today channels 552, 556, and 978 are all on the same frequency of 717.000 Mhz and their signal strength readings are identical.

Where do you live? I'm in Toronto East York.

I've Been Around

i picked up a Nextbox 3.0 on the weekend and am having the same issue with audio dropping. I had that once before with my 8300HD PVR. I replaced it and that resolved the problem. I'm going to swap out my Nextbox .
I'm an Advisor

phildegroot:

Keep us posted and let us know how it goes.