Nextbox 3 Signal Strength Readings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Re: Nextbox 3 Signal Strength Readings

OK, so here's the result of me testing audio drop outs with HDMI and component. Unfortunately, when a recording has audio issues, it's not only happening on HDMI, but also via the stereo output jacks used for component video. I also can verify that, when it happens, the drop outs are repeated in exactly the same place by backspacing a recording and playing it again. The only obvious question left is, do audio drop outs happen because of the recording process or would I also get them watching something live? Guess trying that is my next step.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm.. ok.  That seems different, than most of the other HDMI etc issues i have seen from others.
They tended to be random.. could rewind and playback it fine.. then have it in another spot.

That you are getting it on the RECORDING itself.. to me, says its part of the FEED and/or recording process.

Which.. is normaly inherant of a bad signal

I Plan to Stick Around

Guess we're not the only one having this issue!  I'd like to know what to do about it, will Rogers fix this problem?  I hope the following info helps:

The new box seemed great at first - haven't had it long but everything was working well - love recording multiple shows at once!... but:

We are also now getting the same problem with the audio going off and on!

- Rebooting works... but just for a while and then the problem starts up again. I've been rebooting several times a day.

- Upon rebooting, recordings that were having the audio problems are fixed and you can hear the whole sound again.

We also had some channels one night not working saying "this service is currently not available.  Please try again later."

- when I would go off the channel and back again, it would work for maybe 10 seconds before going off to that message again. 

- rebooting restored the channels. (too late for recording shows though on a channel I didn't realize wasn't working)

I also have sometimes when deleting some recordings in either the "my recordings" or "scheduled recordings" list it sometimes screws up that list, giving blank lines where text should be, not being able to see and/or scroll through the list. 

- rebotting restores the list. 

I keep having to reboot!  Can't do that when something is recording though or I lose the show.  Then I have to wait and can't watch tv or recordings while the sound doesn't work.

Hope that helps,

Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The guide did that ocassionaly on the old box too with the blank line thing. Random bug.

Audio so far us here haven't tracked down quite what's doing the audio thing yet... So hopefully something they can fix. (Haven't noticed it yet myself)

The service not available and channel issues could be signal. Depending on what you had before, the previous boxes seemed less sensitive, vs the new ones are alot more.

Might be worth a tech call if you have the time.

I'm an Advisor

Not_A_Fan_74:

Thank you very much for your post. The audio issue has had me tearing my hair, out as the old saying goes. I have not tried rebooting, then watching something again to see if the drop outs disappear but, the next time it happens, I will. I've also experienced the service unavailable thing, but it always clears itself up fairly quickly without rebooting. Tonight, for the first time since I got the box, I did not have audio drop outs on the CTV Evening News on channel 518. I checked its signal strength and it was normal for that channel. There is quite a bit of signal variation between channels, though, which surprises me. Have you checked yours in the service menu?
I Plan to Stick Around

jimboden:

Ya know, I hope I don't jinx anything but I haven't rebooted all day.  So far so good it seems to be working again, no sound going out for me either!  Hopefully whatever it was is fixed for good.  I hope your previously recorded shows work for you too.

I'm an Advisor

Well, another day has gone by and everything is still good, with no more audio drop outs. Not sure why this would be all of a sudden, but I'll take what I can get. Nothing has changed re: signal strength readings and the box hasn't been rebooted since last weekend.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hi Jimboden,

Do you remember where the hard reboot post was?

Or how to do the hard reboot?

Thank you.

I Plan to Stick Around

It's baa-aack.  The sound clicking, the sound going off and on... for you too?  

I'm an Advisor

Not_A_Fan_74:

Audio problems are back for me too. The last few days, TMN on channel 550 has been absolutely awful and HBO 551 has been too. I tried an experiment last night and watched Lincoln on demand. I had previously recorded it off TMN and it had lots of audio drop outs. When I watched it On Demand, it was perfect. I realize that On Demand is done differently from a regular TV channel, though. I'm done with playing around and am taking my box back to the store to swap it for another one. It seems like most folks on these forums are not having this problem.