Nextbox 3 Signal Strength Readings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Nextbox 3 Signal Strength Readings

General_T wrote

If he/she can't figure it out I will get a different type of box. Can you recommend which one would be best from Rogers?

Thanks

Rogers only offers one 1 PVRmodel in Ontario...its NB3 or its nothing.

You can find NB2s at places like Future Shop, but I wouldn't touch them with a 100ft pole.  Think NB3 but 1000x slower.

You might be able to find some older SA8300s online at the shping channel or on ebay/kijiji/etc...

If you don't want PVR, you can get the Nextbox HD Terminal box (Cisco 4642)

I'm an Advisor

General_T:

I think you are correct and there's no CEC setting on the NB. If you're using it on your display or AVR, you have to turn it off there. This problem has been mentioned in this forum many times and is a well-known issue. I've never used CEC and don't have the problem. Also, if you use it, for some reason ARC doesn't work when the NB is connected to your system. I went back to my old 8300HD PVR and ARC works fine with it.

I'm Here A Lot

Hi jimboden,

I did find it on the TV menu (its called Simplink on my LG). Will look for it on the AVR.

If this can't be resolved then I guess I'm going back to Bell - not thrilled at all.

Thanks Again and I will let you know what the Senior Tech finds.

I'm an Advisor

General_T:

Yes, CEC comes with different names, depending on the manufacturer. With Panasonics, it's Viera Link. I have a Samsung display and it has a CEC setting without giving it some other name, plus a Denon AVR which does the same.

I'm Here A Lot

Hi Jimboden,

I found it in the Pioneer AVR - its called Kuro-Link - I turned it off there as well but neither of these changes made a difference - the picture keeps flickering on and off randomly.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

These boxes are very picky on signal.. so hopefully when the tech comes, if its something like that, they can find it.

only time i have had full dropouts of both audio and video on the 3, was the few times like over the weekend when i had some signal issues.

I've Been Around

This happens with my 4642 as well, 2nd box in <3 mos, 4 tek visits, everything rewired by senior treks and using only rogers-supplied cables. The box is unwatchable, pic and sound drop out at least 3-4x per minute. Tek support says it's a signal problem. Really? Not this junk h/w? 9yrs in this condo and ZERO problems until I was FORCED to upgrade (I have the email) and my HD PVR still works fine. Curiously Rogers has just applied to run fiber into the building, I wonder if this will fix anything? The kicker is that since I'm on a bulk rate and pay for NO extra services, they can't even offer me a service credit. They just refer me to the major accounts office, who can't be bothered to return the voicemails I'm forced to leave because their call centre is overflowing with other complaints.

Hello CRTC?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I've had 4 NB3 boxes and it's crap. Finally found one that finally seems to work properly from initialization process. I looked at the diagnostic pages and I found the power and signal strength indicators fluctuating as well. Called tech and they too, gave the same crap speel about signal range. They say with the NB3 it's very sensitive to it's signal range. If it fluctuates and falls out of that range, it can cause issues everyone is getting from recording errors, box freezing, etc. He may be telling the truth but it's all fuddy duddy to me... smh. *side eye*

He said if it keeps happening they need to send out a tech to check signal strength, flapping issues, etc.  So far I've recorded 2 programs and no problems in playback and tried every function. So far so good... 

One moronic tech told me if I get errors that cant be fixed then I have to keep returning and swapping for a new NB3 until I get a "good" one. ?? So if it takes 14 boxes then that's what I have to do?? He said "Yes".  Man, bro... take several seats and sit way down low!!!

**edited for content**

I'm an Advisor

pac_west227:

Wow, that's an amazing and ludicrous response from Rogers. As I posted elsewhere, I finally threw in the towel and returned my NB 3 yesterday. My old 8300HD PVR is working perfectly. I'm glad I held onto it after getting the NB.

I'm Here A Lot

Hi,

Just an update on my NextBox 3 problems.

The "senior tech" never showed up as expected - communication problem.

I did some more trouble shooting on the weekend including bringing the NextBox over to my other TV and seeing if the problem would duplicate - it didn't which was not a good sign to indicate the NextBox was at fault.

Then I tried the SD Rogers Box on my main TV (the one that the NextBox was flickering on) and unfortunately it also showed this flicker.

So the inescapable result of all this was that the NextBox is fine and my 60" LG Plasma is at fault. So whats a person to do - except run out and but a 65" Panasonic  PlasmaSmiley Happy. Done and done.

I am happy and relieved to report that the NextBox is stable and working as it should. I think that the Y board on the Plasma may have to be replaced but will do somemore troubleshooting/voltage readings to find out for sure. I guess I did not want to face the prospect of replacing the TV and was hoping it was the NextBox - still strange why the problem only seemed to show up with Cable TV and not with other input sources. Ah well, just happy to have a stable and reliable setup and a bigger newer TV!.

Hope others get their problems resolved.

Cheers