Nextbox 3 Signal Strength Readings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Nextbox 3 Signal Strength Readings

If anyone knows of an email address or a web form or something to write to someone at Rogers, please give them the link to this thread to read.  Maybe that would help. I looked but couldn't find.  thanks!

I've Been Around

I would like to know how you get in to check the signal strengths.

I am also having a issue with watching shows that I have recorded.

I will lose audio and video signal.

Live tv is perfectly fine though.

Rogers Technical support said my signal strength was low, which will affect my recordings.........not sure how that works.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Hold the EXIT key on the remote until the power light on the box flashes.  While the power light is flashing, press DOWN DOWN 2.  The service screens will appear.

Cisco has a manual that outlines what it all means.  Too lazy to post the link, but I know somenody else in this thread already did.

I'm an Advisor

Last night, I got CDxx in the NB 3 display. I wasn't watching or recording anything at the time. I figured it might be a firmware update. Just checked it today and, sure enough, finally got my first update to version 4.0.0.130, which I believe is the latest. One interesting thing I've already noticed is that the dbmv signal strength readings now have a minus in front of them. Previously, they did not. Maybe this was just a minor fix and the minus should have been there all along. My modem/router always shows minus dbmv readings. Hoping this release fixes some problems, especially audio drop outs, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm a Senior Contributor

Signal strength has NOTHING to do with firmware updates. That is strictly a network issue.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
I'm an Advisor

Hogwash:

Maybe you missed my point. What I'm saying is all dbmv signal strengths in the Service Menu now have a minus in front of them. They did NOT have a minus before this update. I'm guessing the minus was added because it should have been there in the first place. It explains why my modem/router has always showed minus readings, but the Nextbox never did until now. BTW, the dbmv readings are still about the same as before, with the only difference being the minus sign.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@jimboden wrote:

Hogwash:

BTW, the dbmv readings are still about the same as before, with the only difference being the minus sign.

Well that's good to hear. I'm hoping you guys finally get all the bugs worked out of the NB3's. Me, I'm a turn it on and watch TV type of guy. I know enough about hardware to know I couldn't tolerate what you folks have been going through. Best of luck with the 'Pain in the Box'.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
I'm an Advisor

I received an update to 4.0.0.130 a couple of days ago and the audio problems are now different. Nothing like a little variety to keep life interesting. Smiley Wink

The audio settings are still messed up after a reboot, so nothing has changed there. What I mean is, when the box reboots, it sets output back to Dolby Digital even though I had it set to Other. Not only does it reset, the menu still says it's set to Other. Similarly, it changes the audio range to Normal, even though I had it set to Narrow and the menu still says it's on Narrow.

So, with that out of the way, here's the real issue. I’m getting audio "ticks" with audio set to Other, which didn’t occur before the update. Instead of "drop outs", the tick happens when I pause, fast forward or otherwise change the speed of the recording. It also ticks when going back to normal speed after pressing play, plus it was ticking/breaking up when a channel went to a commercial break and when normal programming resumed.

I was using Other for a while because I found it decreased the number of audio drop outs. With this new firmware release, something has changed, so I went back to Dolby Digital, and the ticking problem went away. I’ve decided to “go with the flow” and leave audio on Dolby Digital and range on Normal. I watched a couple of recordings last night and still had an occasional audio drop out, but they were more subtle than before.

Obviously, this firmware update addressed some audio issues so, to me, that means there’s been an acknowledgement of the problem and it’s being worked on. I have some recordings created before the update and will report back here when I have watched some of them.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The tick, i would guess, is when its switching between audio modes (PCM, 5.1, etc).
I know on my NB2, back when there was alot less channels with 5.1.. and my AVR was set to auto.. even on commercials i would hear it doing the manuall change back and forth between DD and PCM with a lag in the audio, etc.

Wondering if its something similar in that way.

I leave it forced on DD now regardless of source, forced.. and seem bigest change would be audio level differences when its doing 2.0 on the DD setting.

I'm an Advisor

Gdkitty:

I guess it's possible switching between the program and commercials might cause a ticking sound, but I've never heard it until now. Otherwise, pausing, hitting play etc. while watching a recording does it too, but only when audio is set to Other (PCM). It's definitely a change in behaviour from firmware 4.0.0.123, which did not do this.