Nextbox 3 Signal Strength Readings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Nextbox 3 Signal Strength Readings

Was looking at signal strength info on my NB 3 today and noticed some interesting variations between channels. The following channels are all TMN and HBO HD:

Channel        Power (dbmv)               SNR (db)

550                         8.9                          35.7

551                         11.1                        37.6

552                         11.0                        37.7

554                         10.8                        37.4

555                         8.9                          35.8

556                         11.1                        37.6

I don't know if there is a problem with these readings, but I occasionally have trouble with audio breaking up when playing back recordings from TMN 550 since I got the Nextbox 3. My old 8300 never had the problem. Does anyone know if these readings are within reasonable limits? I assume the lower the dbmv, the weaker the signal is. Channel 550 is one of the lowest, as is its SNR.

***Edited labels***

Retired Moderator RogersAlicia
Retired Moderator

Re: Nextbox 3 Signal Strength Readings

Anyone have a suggestion here?

Thanks!

RogersAlicia

I've Been Here Awhile

I cannot comment on the signal strengh numbers but will also mention that since upgrading to the the 3.0, I have been dealing with the audio breaking up on many channels and have also noticed a significant drop in video quality compared to my previous PVR. There are times where the video looks like SD (on an HD channel)

EDIT - This may help

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

bsk,

What do you have your output set to?  if you have a 1080p TV, even though there is a 1080p setting, many have had issues with it, 1080i seems to work the best for it.
Myself, notice no quality loss vs on a 8642.  (this is on a 1080p LG LED Smart TV)

There have been a number with the audio issue.  Not sure if its still ongoing (may not have been long enough).. one user rebooted again and it seemed to go away (but may just be for a period of time)

I'm an Advisor

bsk:

Thanks for your comments. I'm having a serious problem with audio. Last night, I recorded CTV News. When I played it back, the audio breakup was so bad, I almost deleted the show before it finished. Aside from that, I also had trouble, to a lesser extent, with audio on channel 550 TMN. I have rebooted the box and even did a so-called "hard" reboot that someone posted in one of these threads and nothing helped. The reason I posted the signal strength readings was to see if anyone here knows how to interpret them, because I don't. I find it interesting that there's a lot of variance between channels, sometimes as much as 5dbmv. Maybe that's normal, but it doesn't make sense to me. I have even tried an amplifier, which seems to help a little bit, but the problem persists. I don't have the option of using optical out because my display does not have an optical in.

Guess it's time for me to call Rogers. If they send out a tech, they better not charge me for it because it's their box and their problem, not mine. In the 9 years I had an 8300HD PVR, I never once had an audio problem. I still have the 8300 and will return the NB 3 to Rogers and terminate the lease if they don't fix this problem. I just have to get the 8300 reauthorized.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While i am not sure what signal levels each channel should be at.. i know there can be some differences.

on the range of freqencies used for the TV, some are on higher/lower, depending on the channel..  if those channels are on a freqency maybe towards the outer edge, and there is a strength problem or something.. it could be effecting those ones, and not ones towards the middle.

Assuming you get a decent tech, which does check everything.. hopefully they maybe can find something.

I'm an Advisor

Gdkitty:

Thanks for the reply. Before I call Rogers, I'm going to try something. On these forums, some have said they think audio issues may be related to HDMI. I want to see if I can confirm, deny, or find nothing at all about that theory, I have connected the Nextbox to its component output and will check out some of my recordings this evening by watching them via component and HDMI. This may prove absolutely nothing, of course, but it's worth a shot. I can switch between component and HDMI on my display, which also switches the audio coming into it. I have also experimented a bit more with my amplifier and found, that if I crank it up too much, the dbmv readings turn yellow and then red. Most channels are white, which I believe is "normal", but I do have a few in the 12+dbmv range, which are yellow.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Odd that turning up the AVR, would effect the signal comming INTO the box (as that is what the status shows).. effecting the output, maybe..  unless there is some major issue with shielding somehwere that its getting interfearance from.

How will you be doing the audio for your component?  stereo RCA? or optical?
May not be a perfect test, with the RCA.. as while it will obviously WORK.. is only analog stereo sound.. not digital.. so may not experience the same issues.. wont get full surround, etc out of it.

I'm an Advisor

Gdkitty:

Guess my wording wasn't clear. I'm using an amplifier to boost the incoming cable signal, which is why I explained that too much boost makes the dbmv signal go yellow, then red if it's too high. The dbmv reading starts to go yellow at just over 12dbmv. I'm doing this while looking in the service menu to see the readings. I can't use optical because my display doesn't have an optical input. Normally, I only use headphones connected to my display, but occasionally use its internal or external speakers. I could experiment with optical if I pass it to my computer's Soundblaster sound card but, for now, I want to test component. Yes, the audio for component is only stereo, but my Samsung TV converts it to a simulation of 5.1 and actually does a surprisingly good job.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ah, my mistake.

I only have my surround sound on for movies, etc, as like you I find the virtual out of the tv is decent for regular watching.

Coming on PPV!
Pacquaio vs. Broner Live
LIVE: Saturday January 19, 2019 9PM ET
Preshow: 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!
Live Weigh-In January 18th @ 6PM ET

Promotional content running all day on CH 368 DTV & 430 Ignite TV until January 19th @ 9PM

Topic Stats