Nextbox 3 Signal Strength Readings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Nextbox 3 Signal Strength Readings

411:

K, had a technician come out due to inability of NB3 establishing a 2 way communication with rogers diagnostic s/w. Said it was due to fluctuating or low signal. They said with NB3, low signal, flapping issues, etc. can cause NB3 to go wacko --- resulting in all the issues peeps have been experiencing from recording issues, set up issues, initialization failures, etc. making peeps swap for multiple boxes. Well after doing several signal tests, the tech narrowed down the issue. The low signal was due to old/faulty splitters!! The signal was fine coming in from the pedestal to the underground cable and then to the outside box. But when he measured the signal from cable to the splitter and out the other end he said the signal drop was significant. Lo and behold he changed the splitter and rewired the outside box so everything was direct connect and voila!! Signal issue is solved!! So it could be something as simple as old/outdated splitters causing failures. The tech told me upfront. If you switched several boxes in a short period of time, it's not the box it's rogers and something wrong with the software not being compatible with the STB firmware.. OR it could be due to outdated/old cables, splitters, etc.  Everyone needs to check the signal strength and call a tech out to make sure it's within range. He said the NB3 is VERY sensitive to signal alternations and signal drops. Thus, resulting in all the PITA errors everyone has been experiencing!  

Truth.com!

I Plan to Stick Around

@General_T wrote:

Hi,

I am also a new ownner of a NextBox 3.0. - less than a month old -. It seemed that for the 1st week or 2 all was fine but recently (within the last week) I have been experiencing the audio drops on both recordings and live tv, as well as the momentary blank outs on the screen - really annoying.

I did get a tech out last night and we tried various things - including changing to a new box and connecting directly to the TV via HDMI (vice through a AVR). Nothing made a difference still audio drops and occasional flickering screen. Supposedly another tech will be out this evening to further their research/testing, using componet inputs - I am not holding my breath as I agree with the consensus that this is an internal box issue and needs to be addressed soonest by Rogers/Cisco.

I left Bell for this?? Although at least the picture quality is very good - better than I remember it when I was last with Rogers.

What the **bleep** are we supposed to do? Can I get an older box from Rogers and use that, as others have mentioned??

Just out of curiosity, why did you leave Bell?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@pac_west227 wrote:

411:

K, had a technician come out due to inability of NB3 establishing a 2 way communication with rogers diagnostic s/w. Said it was due to fluctuating or low signal. They said with NB3, low signal, flapping issues, etc. can cause NB3 to go wacko --- resulting in all the issues peeps have been experiencing from recording issues, set up issues, initialization failures, etc. making peeps swap for multiple boxes. Well after doing several signal tests, the tech narrowed down the issue. The low signal was due to old/faulty splitters!! The signal was fine coming in from the pedestal to the underground cable and then to the outside box. But when he measured the signal from cable to the splitter and out the other end he said the signal drop was significant. Lo and behold he changed the splitter and rewired the outside box so everything was direct connect and voila!! Signal issue is solved!! So it could be something as simple as old/outdated splitters causing failures. The tech told me upfront. If you switched several boxes in a short period of time, it's not the box it's rogers and something wrong with the software not being compatible with the STB firmware.. OR it could be due to outdated/old cables, splitters, etc.  Everyone needs to check the signal strength and call a tech out to make sure it's within range. He said the NB3 is VERY sensitive to signal alternations and signal drops. Thus, resulting in all the PITA errors everyone has been experiencing!  

Truth.com!

Forgot to add...

Step 1.  Call rogers tech. Ask the tech rep to do what's called a "2-way communication" signal test with your NB3. The rep will do the test to see if the cable signal and power signal is within range.

Step 2. If the levels are within spec then the issue could be hardware in which you have to swap the box or it's a s/w issue in which you have to open a ticket to tech engineering to see if they can "push" a download thru to correct said known situation. 

Step 3. If signal and power range is below standard range, book a tech appt for a rep to come out and test which part of cable/splitter/pedestal is causing the lower signal issues. 

Step 4. Call rogers tech rep after the field tech is done at your home. Ask them to perform the 2-way communication test signal again to see the strength. If yes, they can now get a signal and within range ---> problem solved. If not and field rep already verified signal is now within normal range then problem still lies with box. Swap for a new one. 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hi Not_A_Fan_74,

Sorry for not answering sooner...but was out of town for daughters hockey tourney.

I only left Bell due to price. Rogers offered more for a significant savings. Now if after 6 months Rogers can't give me a good deal then I may look at Bell again.

I Plan to Stick Around

Any updates on the audio drop out issue?  Are people still experiencing the problems?  I am experiencing the exact same thing on my NextBox 2.0.  Any one else out there with the same issues?

I also use a SD box for listening to the Galaxie music channels and local radio stations and experience the same audio drop out issues.  Seems to be isolated to the Galaxie stations (I believe these are switched digital) and not the radio stations (broadcast).

I've hard numerous technicians out, all saying my signal levels are fine.

Given I am experiencing the problem with hardware other than the NextBox 3.0, could it be a firmware or headend issue of some sort?

What to do...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. generaly the audio drop out issues on the NB3, are a 5.1 to 2.0 drop.. not an all out drop.

And i havent heard anything of it specifically effectin the NB2..

And that you are getting it on the SD box as well... it does seem more like something more headend issue.. if your signal levels are fine.  Like its just droping all together, then comming back up.

When we were having street issues a year+ ago.. sending a tech couldnt do much. 
All we did.. was call in, and have them add it to the file.. problem again, problem again, etc.
Eventually.. something was done... enough tickets or something maybe.

Even if it means sending tech after tech out.. eventually they will go that its too expensive to keep doing that.. and they hopefully will escalate it.

I'm Here A Lot

Just curios what exactly do you mean by "HDMI CEC" features??

Reason I ask is I too am having audio blips and video signal losses since switching to the NB3

Please help. Rogers support could not get a reading from my box and have a tech coming out on Thursday night to troubleshoot. Here we go again!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

HDMI-CEC, is something that just allows control across devices.  It is what allows say when you would turn ON your rogers box.. that it sends a signal across the HDMI cable, saying "I am turning on" to the TV.  IF its enabled there, it would then notice this signal incomming.. then turn the TV on automatically, and change inputs.

So, not likely, what your issue is.

Blips and droputs (audio and video) are most likely signal related.

All it may require, is some tweeking from the tech, replace of a spliter, adding a power booster, etc.

Not knowing what you exactly had before the NB3..  But some of the older boxes, etc.. were alot less sensitive... the weaker signal might have been present already.. but the older boxes might not have have picked up on it.

I've Been Here Awhile

Jan 16, 2014, and my NB3 has been experiencing audio dropouts for a week now.  It seems to vary from channel to channel.  My AVR is a Yamaha RX-V671.  The NB3 goes to my HDMI 2 port.  I have one HDMI cable to my TV from my AVR.  Netflix (HDMI 5) runs flawlessly as does my DVD (HDMI 4).  I switched the cable and tried other HDMI inputs to no avail.  The problem is with the NB3 or Rogers itself.

What I find VERY STRANGE is that the TV upstairs is able to play the recordings PERFECTLY as well as viewing live TV.  But if I play the same recordingsor view live TV from the main NB3 it has all the audio dropouts.  How is this possible?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are multiple other threads on this issue right now actually on the forum right now.

It IS a problem with the box itself (or the software in it).  The dropouts are NOT in the recording itself.. its something in the audio processor.

What its doing, is droping from DD5.1, to PCM2.0.  Depending on your AVR may handle this change/drop differently.