Nextbox 3 Signal Strength Readings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox 3 Signal Strength Readings

While i dont think its what messes up the audio part.. the black screen part its a possiblility..

Make sure anything related to HDMI CEC is turned off (things that allow the TV to switch inputs, etc by just turning on the end device).  Sometimes its called VIERALINK, or something similar, depending on your TV/AVR..

While this box is SUPOSED to support it.. it doesnt work.. and has caused some users issues with blank screens, etc.. especialy on startup.

I'm an Advisor

I have all HDMI CEC stuff turned off and have never seen a black screen. I always set up my programmable remote with macros to do the equivalent of CEC.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Jimboden and others:

Let me clarify my situation.  My AVR only supports optical and Digital Coaxial.  The NB3 only supports optical.  All my other setups playstation 3, computer connected all to my AVR using optical cables, the 8642, the 8300 used the optical cable on my AVR without any problems.  Now with the NB3, I will lose my 5.1, it goes to 2 channel pro logic and is very loud!  This usually happens once a day, yet Rogers says it's my AVR??!  I've read other people with the same problem, yet they close my ticket because nobody else is having the problem??  They need to hire a person to read these forums and send the info to the engineers.

Also I'am on the new 4.0.130 software, the problem still exists.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats good to know, that you are on the .130...  well bad that the problem still exists 😞  but a confirmation of it still having the issue.
And that it is NOT just solely on HDMI, etc.

The HDMI CEC may likely fix the blackout issue, etc... but wont effec the audio problem 😞

ONLY Thing i can think.. is on the ideabox.. there is an 'other' catagory now.. for NON CS related stuff..
Could try putting it there... those thing, they cant guarantee that anything will be implemented, etc from it.. i guess the 'escalation' process is not there for those sorts of things.. but MAYBE will give it some more exposure so SOMEONE will see it?

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Square:

I've experienced the sudden loudness too, but I'm not using optical right now. My audio settings are: Audio Range Narrow (loudest); Audio Output Other (2 channel Linear PCM). Sometimes, after the box reboots either because I did it or otherwise, the setup menu still says Other, but it's actually reverted back to Dolby Digital AC3 from Linear PCM. I know because my AVR shows 5.1 instead of 2.0. Similarly, I've had the audio range setting go back to its normal default (normal?) even though I have it set to Narrow and the setup menu still shows Narrow. In my situation, the sudden jump in volume occurs when I force the box to switch back to Other because I've upped my volume due to the switch to Dolby Digital. I've found the Other setting is much louder than Dolby Digital. This may be because Linear PCM is uncompressed, but I'm just guessing. I'm using Other because it has significantly reduced audio drop outs for some reason.

It's interesting you have version 4.0.0.130. Mine is 4.0.0.123 and I've been wondering how some people have a more recent update. I've had my NB 3 since day one and have never had a software update. I'm actually on a second box because a guy in the Rogers store told me the newer boxes were more up-to-date when I did a swap to see if it got rid of audio drop outs. 4.0.0.123 is dated July 18, 2013. Did your box receive an update or was it at that version when you picked it up?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

i THINK the DD5.1 to 2.0 PCM loudness difference, may just be in the way it does the audio processing.

I often play alot of stuff from my media center, to my basic AVR downstairs, for my son.
Alot of his stuff is just in 2.0.. but the receiver doesnt always auto switch from DD setting to PCM.  The audio comes out.. its just  front channels only.  Switching to PCM gives the rear as well... but there is quite the noticible JUMP in volume, on all the speakers.

Jimboden:

My area just got updated to .130 last week, before that I had 4.0.123.  I was wishing it fixed some problems, mainly the audio, but instead all I noticed was some feature that they added that brings up a menu with similar shows that you might like when you press the info button.

I'm an Advisor

Square:

Thanks for posting that. This got my attention "menu with similar shows that you might like when you press the info button."

Just "like" Facebook or dating sites. Sounds like a useless feature, but that's just me. In what area are you that received the update? Too bad it doesn't seem to have done anything about the audio problem, though.

Jimboden:

I am in Waterloo Region, Grand River Cable.  Ya, I played around with the new feature, not for me either.

I Plan to Stick Around

You can add me to this problem. I just got cable added last week. I've been noticing this problem with nextbox 3 since the whole home PVR filter got added in a few days ago. The 4642 works flawless.

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats