Nextbox 3 PVR playback issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Nextbox 3 PVR playback issues

Many HD channels only broadcast 720p.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok.
But that is the fault of the channel, not rogers.

And the box, assuming set up correctly, will still up convert that to 1080i or p

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

I don't have an NB3 but, if I remember correctly, the video output setting (1080i, 720p or whatever), upconverts everything to that resolution. So, if the previous poster is getting 720p, the output should be changed to 1080i or whatever. Like OLDYELLR, I still have an SA8300HD PVR, which is far more flexible than the NB3. You can upconvert everything if you like, or you can choose to pass through whatever is being broadcast. I choose to use pass through myself. Certain channels are, of course, 720p and I don't find much difference between 720p and 1080i. One thing in favour of 720p is that there's no deinterlacing required, whereas 1080i needs to be deinterlaced by your TV.

Lar
I've Been Around

Fed up with NB 3.0. Either it does not record programs on schedule or channels become unavailable and now I cannot play back any recordings. Always told to reboot the system. This is getting pretty annoying.. keeps up I won't be staying with Rogers

RogersHassam
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @Lar,

I'm sorry about the problems you are having with your Nextbox. From what you've mentioned, I would suggest that you try a factory reset or exchange the box if the reset doesn't resolve the issues. Keep in mind though that a factory reset will erase all of your recordings and settings on the box. Do you have the new Navigatr guide (black/grey) or the RTN user guide (black/red)? 

How to Perform Factory Reset:

• Press Settings
  • Select Troubleshooting
  • Select Diagnostics
  • Select Restore Factory Settings
  • Select Restore
  • Enter PIN (0000)

@Gdkitty, please feel free to chime in. 

Thank you,

RogersHassam 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My guess would be a flakey box..

I have had the NB3 since the first week, with an extender, and whole home PVR.. so pretty much any possibility (other than a 2nd PVR in the whole home setup).
I havent seen really any issues like that.
Not recording, not playing back... makes me think bad box.   I have had a once in a blue moon DISPLAY issue where there are gaps, but everything plays back.

Scheduling.. the NEW can be flakey.. but thats been that way across every box even the older 8300, etc too... but all my scheduled stuff records ok.. record usually 3-4 things a night on schedule.

The channel unavailable.. thats a different isssue (unless the box being flakey is doing it).  Generally, thats a SIGNAL issue to the box, in which you would need to get a tech out.

RayB
I'm Here A Lot

My prayers were answered with the Nextbox 3.0 … record 8 shows at once and store them on a gigantic hard drive. But the honeymoon is over.

I’ve been all over this forum and can’t seem to find a fix for my Nextbox 3.0 9865 playback issue. Most of the posts I read were from 2013-2014 so I would hope that a fix would have been developed by now.

About 3-4 weeks ago I started to experience the screen freeze when playing shows on the PVR.  It happened once or twice and a reboot usually fixed it. Now it’s happening constantly and is VERY ANNOYING. Sometimes it resumes playback after a few minutes and most times it does not.

I changed the video resolution to 1080i but that didn’t fix it. I have rebooted several times and that fixes it occasionally, but it now tends to freeze again at the same spot, even after a reboot. With most shows it seems to freeze with about 5-10 minutes left in the program. If I wait long enough, the time remaining changes to 192 hours and some minutes, and that’s usually a sign that I’m not going to be able to watch the end of my program.

Rogers tech support couldn’t help but offered a box swap. My box is 60% full with shows that I was hoping to watch at some point.

I’ve been a Rogers customer for 34 years. Very frustrated with this POS. And still stinging from the joke that was the NAVIGATR “upgrade”.

Has anyone come up a fix that I haven’t tried yet?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sometimes signal strength can affect the performance of these PVRs. Call Rogers and have them check your signal. It could be an issue at your home, or in your neighbourhood.

It is possible that you have an issue with your hard drive. Does it sound normal - no clicking or other strange noises?  There is usually a quiet "whoosh" coming from the unit.

If you have some "old" recordings on the PVR made before the issue started, try playing them to see if you have problems watching them.  These PVRs seem to be more sensitive than older ones if the signal is not right, even if recordings were made when the signal is good.  I know it sounds strange, but it can happen.

RayB
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the tips.  Hard drive sounds normal, but a "temporary" connection did happen to appear a few weeks ago, which is about the time my playback issue started.  Couldn't help but notice the cables descending from the trees into the cable box on the street about 4 houses away.  I just wouldn't have made the connection between my playback issues and that setup until you mentioned it.  Timing is eerily similar.  I will check it out.  Thanks.

RayB
I'm Here A Lot

Issue was getting worse and box wouldn't even boot up once when I had tech support on the phone.  Decided to get a new Nextbox and start over.  Rogers let me keep the old one for a month.  I'm in the process of watching what I can, deleting the rest.  Documenting what will not play and hopefully can catch up thru ROD.